Anyone Towing a JK Behind Motorhome - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone Towing a JK Behind Motorhome

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 12-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
sahara tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone Towing a JK Behind Motorhome

Thought I would start here. Parents are puchasing a new JK Sahara in a couple months and wondering if anyone is towing their JK behind a motorhome yet? How did you hook it all together. (They fulltime in their house on wheels). Who is making tow bars and where are the attachment points on the front of the Jeep? With a plastic bumper and 8 mph crush cans in the front, how do you tow this. Does anyone make a winch bumper yet? Any info. will be appreciated. Don't rag on me to bad because I have a TJ. I am buying their YJ when they buy the new JK.

sahara tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
RedRocRubi
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'm going to tow mine, Im going to use PJ front and rear bumpers,on the front where the shackles mount, the tow bar will attach there and for the lights I'm going to try to install a new light socket in the tail light housing. that way you dont have to deal with the jk electrical system.my brother-in law did this and it works out great.
RedRocRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2006, 09:43 PM   #3
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

I will be towing mine behind my motorhome by the end of the month.

For tow bar mounts there are 3 choices right now.

Roadmaster makes brackets with removable arms for the JK, but in their rush to get them out the door they designed something that will not work with the Rubicon model (it hits the sway bar disconnect). It should be fine on a Sahara or X model as long as they don't order the sway bar disconnect...

Blue Ox has their brackets done and they work on all models. But they designed theirs to have this big ugly bar that is permanently mounted down below the bumper. I originally had one of these on order until I saw what it actually looked like...

Last but not least, Mopar makes a basic old style tow bar with brackets for the JK. I have installed this one on my JK. As far as the brackets go they are the simplest and shouldn't interfere with off roading. For the tow bar part, I'll just deal with the old style "A" frame for a few trips until I can get the part that attaches to the brackets modified a little to allow me to use my good old Roadmaster tow bar.

For wiring up the lights I looked into adding sockets to the tail lights but there really isn't much room in the new JK housing so I will be hooking into the tail light wiring using diodes. I used the diodes on my 2004 Rubicon without any problems. Doing this on the JK is even easier because of the new wiring system. All of the wiring for the lights and such come from the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) located just in front of the battery. So finding places to splice into is now easy and straight forward.

Hope this helps.
jdrogers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #4
sahara tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Parents want something that is bolted are welded direct to the frame, they don't want to see their new JK passing them on the Highway.

jdrogers - Are the Mopar brackets welded/bolted to the frame? I think they have a Roadmaster tow bar for their YJ right now too.

Red Rock Rubi - Who makes the PJ front bumper and where did you purchase it? Does it mount solid to the frame? This might be something they would do also.
Unread 12-12-2006, 11:12 PM   #5
nota4re

Sahara,

I am working on a flexible solution for this and currently have a prelim mock-up on my JK (Rubicon Unlimited).

A preview;

1. The design is intended to work with the stock bumper and plastic under-shield.
2. When not in-use, the mounting locations will be practically invisible.
3. The height of the mount points is ideal for towing - will maintain a level tow bar.
4. The system is frame-mounted
5. Adapters for traditional popular tow bars will be available (Roadmaster, Blue OX, etc.)
6. This mod can be easily installed in less than 1-hour

For any questions, please PM me.

'07 White 4-door Rubi
nota4re is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 11:41 PM   #6
jeepbozo

I'd lke to see what your thinkng. Prefer to use a blue ox or roadmaster but don't like their mounts to the car. I need something simplier since I plan on a lot of offroading and am concerned those won't work with an aftermarket bumper and new skid plate to protect the swaybar disconnect.
jeepbozo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
kstar37

I am also interested in a custom bolt-on solution. I have a Demco Aluminator tow bar. I find the new BlueOx very ugly with the bar under the bumper.

I would also like to have a diagram with wiring colour for the installation of diodes.

Happy Holidays

Michel
Quebec, Canada

2007 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Brilliant silver/Black
kstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2006, 04:05 PM   #8
BillArf

I have communicated with two different '07 Wrangler owners and both had added the additional bulb to each tail light without any problems.

Anybody have any pics of the '07 Wrangler, Blue Ox base plate installed that people here say is ugly?
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2006, 06:28 PM   #9
driley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillArf
I have communicated with two different '07 Wrangler owners and both had added the additional bulb to each tail light without any problems.

Anybody have any pics of the '07 Wrangler, Blue Ox base plate installed that people here say is ugly?
Bill,

You can see the base plate in the installation instructions posted on the Blue Ox web site.

http://www.aemfg.com/pdfs/BX1126.pdf

Devin
driley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2006, 01:10 AM   #10
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nota4re
Sahara,

I am working on a flexible solution for this and currently have a prelim mock-up on my JK (Rubicon Unlimited).

A preview;

1. The design is intended to work with the stock bumper and plastic under-shield.
2. When not in-use, the mounting locations will be practically invisible.
3. The height of the mount points is ideal for towing - will maintain a level tow bar.
4. The system is frame-mounted
5. Adapters for traditional popular tow bars will be available (Roadmaster, Blue OX, etc.)
6. This mod can be easily installed in less than 1-hour

For any questions, please PM me.

PM sent a while ago... any info???
Unread 12-24-2006, 07:23 AM   #11
BillArf

Driley, Thanks much for posting the pdf format install instructions for the BX1126 baseplate. The baseplate install on the '07 Wrangler is similar to the install on say an 04-'06 Wrangler. The bar that is visible on an '07 Wrangler is very much like the bar you have with the baseplate install on older Wranglers. Actually, the removable tabs on the '07 baseplate make the bar less obtrusive in comparison to the older Wrangler base plate.

Last edited by BillArf; 03-20-2007 at 10:27 PM..
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2006, 07:55 AM   #12
08 Sahara
1988 YJ Wrangler 

jdrogers,

Curious as to option #3 with the mopar bolt on.
I currently use the A Frame with the shackle mounts on my 1988 and have been happy with that set-up.
I know that isn't possible with the new suspensions, but a similar arrangement would be nice.
Do you have pictures of how you're set-up?
I too would like to see any wiring diagrams

Merry Christmas to all
Unread 12-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #13
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

The Mopar tow bar mounts to brackets like these:

Instead of the shackles, the tow bar goes between the two tabs. The tow bar is a square tube with "ears" on each end. Those ears have a hole in them. The bar goes between the brackets and a pin goes through the ear and the bracket shown in the picture. That way the bar can rotate up or down when towing.

I'll try to get some picture soon. Also note that AEV is supporting the Mopar tow bar with their bumper, skid plate, and brackets.
Unread 12-24-2006, 11:26 AM   #14
sahara tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Some good ideas. Has anyone priced the Mopar winch bumper? Is it available yet? I forgot to mention a Warn winch will be mounted to the front also. Can you wire the JK using the exsisting wire harness and tap into all the wires and have a plug in front without using a seperate bulb in the rear tail light?
Unread 12-26-2006, 01:55 PM   #15
voigtrobert

For anyone with a 2007 Rubicon who can go to Portland, OR for a few days: Roadmaster, Inc. will GIVE you a tow bracket with free installation if you can arrange for them to use your vehicle to design the bracket for models with the electronic swaybar disconnect. That's a really good deal if you can take advantage of the offer and are the first one to do so. See http://www.roadmasterinc.com/product...es-wanted.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.