Anyone run coil overs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone run coil overs?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 07-13-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Anyone run coil overs?

Been looking at offroad evolution coil over setup for quite a while but I cant find many reviews on their setup or even coil overs for atleast the jeep community. I live in the desert so the wheeling I do is kinda baja style with the occasional dry river bed crossing with some nice size bolders so I do like to go fast. I also go to the sand dunes quite often as well and would love to be able to hall a$$ through the washboard style parts (woopties) without destroying my Jeep. Wanted to see if anyone has anything they can share with me or atleast point me into the right direction to learn more about this setup. I would think the 4 doors can do well with this but still dont hear too much about jeeps using them even after 3-4 years they been out. They are very expensive but the wheeling I do they are almost needed and with the adjustability they have I cant see them being bad for crawling either. The rear setup evo came out with looks pretty sweet. Wanted to see if anyone has seen some reviews on it or know someone I can get ahold of that uses it.
More interested in single throwdown system at the moment, but does anyone know if you can add to it later?
Is it just the cost that are keeping the Jeeps away from them? or is there something I dont know about that makes them bad for us?
Cheers

07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Terrahawk has coilovers on his 2dr.

There's a handful of 4dr owners with coilovers, over on jk-owners.com

And yes- I would say that the cost is the biggest factor in why most of us do not have coilovers. I would jump on them in a second if the price were half of where they are today.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
rballman
2007 JK Wrangler 

I would say its the cost that keeps a lot of people away from coil overs. Also there are several people on here that have coil overs so hopefully they will chime in.

Colorado Jeep Club member #2007

My JK Build Thread
rballman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
terrahawk
2007 JK Wrangler 

EVO's stuff is nice but way over priced..ie, a front shock tower isn't worth $500.00. I built my own out of components from Ruff Stuff Specialties and Poly Performance, hell Poly is even making thier own kit now similar to my set up, so you might want to give Thean over there a call and ask him for some details.

Unread 07-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks terrahawk, what brand of shocks did you go with? and what size of lift is it? kinda hard for me to tell with the new fenders....I didnt know poly was making their own towers or I would of cruzed by yesturday while I was in town. What I like about evo's was it looks like the towers are bolt on wich I would prefer untell I can get the 4 door I want to make it easy to swap everything over.

I will have to check out JK-owners, I just dont cruze other boards very often. Would really like to see someone with Evo's rear end setup.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
terrahawk
2007 JK Wrangler 

If you want bolt on, look up Outlaw Off Road Lift Kits | Products - Outlaw Offroad

They have a bolt on set up that you could transfer from one rig to another. Oh, and I run Sway-A Way shocks.
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Coil overs,besides being a little more $$$,require alot of setup time(spring rates and such) and requires more maintenance then separate coil/shock combo.Most use some sort of heim ends to mount them and they wearout after a 2 or so years,the coil over itself needs to be rebuilt after 2-3 years,both of those issues are common for DD vehicles running them and you will get longer life if it's a trail only rig.
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Holy cow! Those prices are RIDICULOUS!
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 01:24 AM   #9
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
If you want bolt on, look up Outlaw Off Road Lift Kits | Products - Outlaw Offroad

They have a bolt on set up that you could transfer from one rig to another. Oh, and I run Sway-A Way shocks.
THANKS! thats exactly what Im looking for. I just cant decide on how much lift I want now and what shocks to get. For the 4 door I think 6" would look great but the 2 door might look top heavy with it. Im just not sure if 14" travel is worth it over the 12" travel. Wanted to see what kind of lift you ended up netting? Sway-A way seems decently priced, have you been pleased with the way they are handling?
Unread 07-14-2010, 05:56 AM   #10
Yellow09Jeep

Geez! You could buy a junk jeep for that amount! Alright this may be hijacking the thread... but since I am a newbie whats the difference between coilovers and a regular lift kit? What makes them more desirable? Thanks for sorting this out for!
Yellow09Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Coilovers are very adjustable, people get them to go fast with. Its like having 2 springs per shock, one for the load of the jeep when going down and another one to force the jeep back up again so bumpers are smoothed out faster without all the bouncing around. You should just google coilovers for a better discription.

I have a question, Im considering the front coilovers with 6" lift minimum and 14" of travel, mainly for when I switch to a 4 door. Could I run coilovers up front and standard spring/shock setup in the rear untell I get more funds? Im thinking of just buying a pair of 6" coils/bilstein shocks for rear and going with Outlaws coilovers front for the time being... Would I still notice the coilover performance gain if I did this? or is it best to do it all at once?
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #12
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

Coil overs are junk!!!!
Dr.Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #13
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

JK I have Kings for mine. Im going to use the Poly performance kit on mine
Dr.Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #14
Prope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
I have a question, Im considering the front coilovers with 6" lift minimum and 14" of travel, mainly for when I switch to a 4 door. Could I run coilovers up front and standard spring/shock setup in the rear untell I get more funds? Im thinking of just buying a pair of 6" coils/bilstein shocks for rear and going with Outlaws coilovers front for the time being... Would I still notice the coilover performance gain if I did this? or is it best to do it all at once?
Yep, you can do that, that's what I'm doing (& a lot of guys do) until a rear setup comes out that I like. I like terrahawk's rear setup the best, but don't have a wide 60 in the rear yet to make it work correctly.

Hopefully going to get my fronts on this weekend or next since they've been sitting in the garage for almost two months now! I'll post some pics when I'm done & let you know what the ride/flex difference is.

Tags
coil over , coilover , JK Wrangler , shocks , suspension , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.