Anyone install cb coax on 2012 with sub box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone install cb coax on 2012 with sub box

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Poison Spyder from CCOR!JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 10-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
rubicon1000
2012 JK Wrangler 

Anyone install cb coax on 2012 with sub box

Has anyone installed a cb antenna on the spare tire carrier and run the coax into the cabin. Here's my problem how does the factory sub box come apart so I can feed the coax and ground wire thru there and the coax up the roll bar?

SOLD 03 Rubicon , nv 3550 ,4'' RC lift ,1'' RC MM lift, 1.25'' body lift, HD rear bumper, hummer snorkel cap with buick airbox and custom piping, 265/75 r 16 tread wright retread mud tires on stock rubicon wheels, smitty built 8k winch, cobra cb radio, rrc front bumper, pre-runner rear bumper, HID headlights in Hella housings
rubicon1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

too much work for me. however, just remove all the bolts you can find and it comes right apart. it'd be easier to just remove the sub itself and stick your hand in

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
rubicon1000
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I see the screws on the face but that's it around the grill. Nothing else I just found it odd
SOLD 03 Rubicon , nv 3550 ,4'' RC lift ,1'' RC MM lift, 1.25'' body lift, HD rear bumper, hummer snorkel cap with buick airbox and custom piping, 265/75 r 16 tread wright retread mud tires on stock rubicon wheels, smitty built 8k winch, cobra cb radio, rrc front bumper, pre-runner rear bumper, HID headlights in Hella housings
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Is the 12 setup different than a 10?

If not I just routed it along the edge of the tub. Followed the brake light wires from the mount to inside the tub.

This is what I followed.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
rubicon1000
2012 JK Wrangler 

yep the int. is diffrent I have a sub mounted in that corner of the jeep.
Unread 10-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

I did an install a while back - the whole sub come out as one part
don't bother with the grille parts:

Trying to get ready for the run this weekend - wanted to see if I could get a CB installed in time, alas daylight ran out, I got the antenna installed but not the radio .
Anyway here is my antenna install:

Ingredients:
FireStik Firefly 4' antenna in red
18' fireflex coax
FireRing Stud Mount
Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Spring
CoolTech Gate Mount kit

Here is the CoolTech Gate Mount kit for a JK (mine is a 2012 but this kit works just fine)- I de-blinged my mount with some rattle-can no-rust black (kit comes un-painted)

Remove the Spare off the back of the Jeep - make note of the rubber grommet just to the right of the spare mount - I plan on using that for the cable.

Remove that grommet and drill at 1/4 hole in it for the coax - it is a little snug - but that is good - you don't want any leaks.

Remove the inside tailgate cover hiding the 3rd tail light - lift up on the bottom and it pops off - little snug with those clips - I didn't use any tools to do this. Fish the coax out of the tail gate (took a few tries to hit that hole)

Reseat the grommet in the tailgate with the coax - leave a little extra for a loop to mount to the gate mount.

Mount the gate mount to the tail gate with the provided bolts - make sure the fat-washers go behind the mount to off-set if from the spare tire mount.

Mount the fire flex coax to the mount - IMPORTANT - follow the destructions from FireStik for the stud mount

Check the mount and installation for correct install using a meter - continuity is important!

Tie-wrap the coax to the other wire-harness from the tailgate

Install the wire cover from before

Inspect the mount and antenna and insure the coax doesn't get bound up when the gate is closed

Remount your spare back on the tailgate

FINISHED! - in this configuration the 4' firefly antenna sticks up about 16-17 inches above the hardtop line - here is a side view - the antenna and mount barley hits the spare tire - I'll report back on how much it moves/whips around.

All that is left is to run the coax up front and find a mounting location for the radio.
2012 JK Rubicon in Flame Red, ACE Rock Sliders, LoD Stubby Stinger front, LoD Stubby rear,Rock-Krawler 3.5" X factor Pro mid-arm, RCV ultimate front axles, Warn PP HP, 37" KM2s on AEV Savegre wheels, 10 Factory rear axles,MC front Fenders, Reid Knuckles,aFe Cold Air
kosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

Finished off my CB Coax run - had to remove the Infinity factory sub. No need to remove the speaker - it is all a self contained unit including the 12v outlet. Little tricky I didn't know there was a third bolt behind the roll-bar.

Remove the 2 T30 Torx bolts from the sub

Remove the plastic seat belt spool threader off the roll bar

Remove the 10mm nut from the sub enclosure

Unhook the sub enclosure/assembly - the connector is the gray on in the corner

finished off the CB coax run from the gate overtop the factory harness - I didn't want to cut that apart so that is why I didn't thread the coax inside the harness.

Used a little duct-tape to hold the coax off to the side - I didn't want it to
bind up to the back of the sub and the foam-padding (not shown)
From there up I ran the coax up the front and towards the center console. My plan is to figure out a mount up there or get a Tuffy console.

Button everything back up all snug
2012 JK Rubicon in Flame Red, ACE Rock Sliders, LoD Stubby Stinger front, LoD Stubby rear,Rock-Krawler 3.5" X factor Pro mid-arm, RCV ultimate front axles, Warn PP HP, 37" KM2s on AEV Savegre wheels, 10 Factory rear axles,MC front Fenders, Reid Knuckles,aFe Cold Air
Unread 10-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
rubicon1000
2012 JK Wrangler 

sweet thanks alot perfect what I needed
Unread 10-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
rubicon1000
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmos
Finished off my CB Coax run - had to remove the Infinity factory sub. No need to remove the speaker - it is all a self contained unit including the 12v outlet. Little tricky I didn't know there was a third bolt behind the roll-bar.

Remove the 2 T30 Torx bolts from the sub

Remove the plastic seat belt spool threader off the roll bar

Remove the 10mm nut from the sub enclosure

Unhook the sub enclosure/assembly - the connector is the gray on in the corner

finished off the CB coax run from the gate overtop the factory harness - I didn't want to cut that apart so that is why I didn't thread the coax inside the harness.

Used a little duct-tape to hold the coax off to the side - I didn't want it to
bind up to the back of the sub and the foam-padding (not shown)
From there up I ran the coax up the front and towards the center console. My plan is to figure out a mount up there or get a Tuffy console.

Button everything back up all snug
thanks so much
Unread 10-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
JKatfish
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just ran the cable under the top edge where the hardtop top bolts and behind all the trim. Took about a minute and you can't see the cable.
JKatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #11
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

just like JKatfish described. works great and easy to run the cable. nice thing is that carpet comes up nice and easy to run just about anything under it.

you can also ziptie the coax in some spots to that wiring group. keeps it clean.
Unread 10-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

pictures of installed CB ? Please ?

dan nj/pa
djm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the all in one unit - mounted the control box to a brace under
the glove box. I use an external speaker under the seat - works
very well and sounds much much better than the tiny speaker in the
all in one.

Here are the details of the control box - I still have not wired up the
cb to my sPOD yet the cig-adapter works very well for me right now.
In this photo you can just see the control box I secure to the dash
cross member and the power pig-tails I just put into the cig-adapter:
Unread 10-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
rubicon1000
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm
pictures of installed CB ? Please ?

dan nj/pa
Here are the pics
image-611150271.jpg   image-3554339489.jpg   image-3457352139.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.