Anyone have a step mod for stock rails? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone have a step mod for stock rails?

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
YJmarkcrj

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have a step mod for stock rails?

I've been thinking of adding a tube step to the stock rock rails on my new Willys JKU. I love the look of the sliders with the step integrated to the slider. I plan to install a leveling kit soon and a step up would be nice. Has anyone done this mod and/or have specs on the tube size, length, etc..? I have access to a tube bender and I own a 120v mig so I thought I'd try my first mod at home.

YJmarkcrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
ncb

Poly performance has a kit you could get a pic from for reference.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJmarkcrj View Post
I've been thinking of adding a tube step to the stock rock rails on my new Willys JKU. I love the look of the sliders with the step integrated to the slider. I plan to install a leveling kit soon and a step up would be nice. Has anyone done this mod and/or have specs on the tube size, length, etc..? I have access to a tube bender and I own a 120v mig so I thought I'd try my first mod at home.
i used flat plate and c-channel, but yes you could use tubing also...Very easily if you have a bender also.
Maertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
Poly performance has a kit you could get a pic from for reference.
These...
synstep3.jpg

Unread 07-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
YJmarkcrj

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandLow
These...
Those look great! That looks like just what I was thinking. What size tubing did you use?
Unread 07-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
YJmarkcrj

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
These...
Is that the kit from poly?
Unread 07-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I'm on my phone so I hope I copy the link right. Iirc like ~$200 shipped.
http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Je...l#.U8nkuom9LCQ
It was a good DIY project too. Don't have a welder so paid a guy for that but the prep / painting and installing was fun. Plus, I cut away the pinch seem while it was off. I have more pics of the finished project if you want to see them.
Unread 07-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #8
YJmarkcrj

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, I'm on my phone so I hope I copy the link right. Iirc like ~$200 shipped. http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Je...l#.U8nkuom9LCQ It was a good DIY project too. Don't have a welder so paid a guy for that but the prep / painting and installing was fun. Plus, I cut away the pinch seem while it was off. I have more pics of the finished project if you want to see them.
Would love to see more pics! Why did you decide to cut away the pinch seam?
Unread 07-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJmarkcrj View Post
Would love to see more pics! Why did you decide to cut away the pinch seam?
Before welding the tubes on I went ahead and cut a good 1" off of the rubi rail, so as you can see in the pic from the previous post, the pinch seam needs to be trimmed. All of that to make room for the 35"s.

After I got the rails/steps home from the welder. I pulled them off and primed them. Cut the pinch seam, grinded it down and prepped and painted the whole seam, painted the rails/step with herculiner and mounted em back up. Sorry, I don't have a great pic of the rails/step mounted. Hope this helps you decide!
railprep.jpg

cutseam.jpg

pinchseamprep.jpg

finishedrail.jpg

finishedmounted.jpg

Unread 07-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
YJmarkcrj

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Before welding the tubes on I went ahead and cut a good 1" off of the rubi rail, so as you can see in the pic from the previous post, the pinch seam needs to be trimmed. All of that to make room for the 35"s. After I got the rails/steps home from the welder. I pulled them off and primed them. Cut the pinch seam, grinded it down and prepped and painted the whole seam, painted the rails/step with herculiner and mounted em back up. Sorry, I don't have a great pic of the rails/step mounted. Hope this helps you decide!
Aaahh! Got it. I see what you mean. Thanks so much for the reply. I'll definitely be doing this before buying a new set.
Unread 07-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
TAE73

Poison Spyder also makes a weld on kit to the rubi rails.
TAE73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #12
YJmarkcrj

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAE73
Poison Spyder also makes a weld on kit to the rubi rails.
Good to know. I like the look of their products. Love the brawler front bumper. I'll check them out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.