Anyone have this front bumper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone have this front bumper?

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
Zrider1967
2013 JK Wrangler 

Anyone have this front bumper?

After lots of web browsing and looking through threads here, this is the front bumper I like the most (Aries 15600). However, I really want to be able to have shackles, and I don't see anywhere to attach them. Am I correct in assuming that the bumper is strong enough to drill holes myself and attach shackles anywhere they would look/work best?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

71cxqcqezdl._sl1500_.jpg  
Zrider1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

IMHO, if the bumper doesn't have shackle points and you want them, look for one that has them integrated into the bumper. That bumper does not seem to have any sufficient flat sections to fit a shackle mount onto, regardless. Plus, don't assume that anything made in China is strong enough for anything.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
715racing
2013 JK Wrangler 

You did notice the tow hooks offered to mount on top of that bumper on the Amazon site. didn't you? If you want shackles, I would use a good, heavy 1/8" plate behind the bumper to avoid any pull throughs/tearing.
Any idea where that bumper is made? It sure is cool looking, but if it is chinese, I'd avoid it.
Unread 01-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
CJsPerson
2008 JK Wrangler 

I see youíre in a State with a cold winter season. If its an option get it with paint or bare metal. Powder coat will be rusting off in one season. Which is why most quality U.S. off road stuff has the option of paint or bare instead of powder coat.

I off road because I have a Jeep. I don't have a Jeep because I off road. Above all my Jeep is a convertible. That's where my love is for the brand ...convertible overkill
CJsPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=715racing;19657153]You did notice the tow hooks offered to mount on top of that bumper on the Amazon site. didn't you? If you want shackles, I would use a good, heavy 1/8" plate behind the bumper to avoid any pull throughs/tearing.
Any idea where that bumper is made? It sure is cool looking, but if it is chinese, I'd avoid it.[/QUOTE"]

"heavy" 1/8"???
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
IH8PEPL
Just like the plate says

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like a chinese knock off of the equally ugly Wild Boar JK bumper.

Unread 01-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
ryanryan03
2010 JK Wrangler 

Is the Chinese quality bad?
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
JTPhoto
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post
Looks like a chinese knock off of the equally ugly Wild Boar JK bumper.
Actually it is the original made by Aries (see watermark on photo). Wildboar markets the Aries bumper under their own name with a slight design change (round design holes), they do not manufacture their own. Albeit a different style that many are not keen on, but it is different and if you want to stand out in a crowd, that bumper will do it..

Aries products are well built and they are a respected manufacturer around the world. I have had a few Aries products and they have all been top notch.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
IH8PEPL
Just like the plate says

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanryan03 View Post
Is the Chinese quality bad?
Name anything made in China that has good quality... even their air is substandard.
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #10
ryanryan03
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL
Name anything made in China that has good quality... even their air is substandard.
Steel is steel. Idk.
Unread 01-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I donít see where there is any good place to mount tow hooks, backup plate or not. That bumper is so full of holes itís more like Swiss cheese that has been left out to harden and carved into a bumper. Somewhat exaggerated but none the less.

JK Wrangler dash mount for Cellphones, GPS units, GoPro cameras, Spot devices etc.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanryan03 View Post
Steel is steel. Idk.
No steel is not steel. There is craftmanship (welds, build quality, fit, finish). And even the quality of the steel itself.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
BruceM1964
2013 JK Wrangler 

That bumper looks like it's trying to hard to be a bad *** bumper...too busy, doesn't do it for me.
BruceM1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
No steel is not steel. There is craftmanship (welds, build quality, fit, finish). And even the quality of the steel itself.
This is very true. The makeup of the steel will determine the quality of it. Many moons ago I used to work at a foundry and knew about what made good versus crappie steel but have long since forgot most of it. Also at that time china steel was truly inferior to the US. Anyhow, for structural purposes I wouldnít trust it as far as I could throw it.

Probably for bumpers and similar things itís fine but bridges and railroad tracks no way.

Back on topic:

OP, perhaps you could refigure exactly what you need to take with you and practice a few packing and creative storage options. Were thereís a will thereís a way.

JK Wrangler dash mount for Cellphones, GPS units, GoPro cameras, Spot devices etc.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
JTPhoto
2008 JK Wrangler 

That bumper is no slouch.. that steel you call swiss cheese is 3/16" carbon steel and the winch mount will handle a 10,000lb winch. .. Cant say I'm crazy about the style when its fully dressed but as a stubby its not bad.. Check it out.. http://www.ariesjeep.com/frontmodular.htm
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.