Anyone have any gas cap sensor problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone have any gas cap sensor problems?

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Evil_Ed
2007 JK Wrangler 

Anyone have any gas cap sensor problems?

I have 78k miles on my 07...bought it in for the usual oil/filter/lube service on Tuesday. Drove straight home from there. Wednesday I start it up...it beeps just after startup and the dash display says "gascap". Since I didn't touch the gas cap at all between the service and me starting it, I figured someone at the dealer knocked a vacuum hose loose when servicing the jeep or something. I reseated the cap, and it still beeped at me. I didn't see anything obviously disconnected or loose under the hood.

Yesterday I took it to the dealer, who said "uhh we think it was a loose gas cap...Did you tighten it all the way?" Sure, and explain to me how it got loose when no one touched it? But anyway...

They said they plugged in a vacuum tester and there was no vacuum leak, so they assumed it was just a loose cap, and left it at that. They did say however that it was NOT throwing an error code at the computer.

When I picked it up at the dealer, it didn't bong at all.

This morning, I started it...yep, it bonged.

Before I shove the gas cap down someone's throat at the dealer when they ask me if I was sure I put the gas cap back on (never mind that I haven't touched it), does anyone know where the sensor is for this? A quick google for it doesn't bring any useable results :/

Since I didn't touch it and since they say there's no vacuum leak, I can only assume the sensor's gone bad...

Evil_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
l8whalefr8
2007 JK Wrangler 

When my jeep had the gas tank replaced due to it puking fuel every fill up, I had the same issue.

Turns out, there was a hairline crack in the replacement tank.

They did a "smoke test" (shoulda been done the first time, but that's neither here nor there - don't take your Jeep to Boniface-Hiers, fyi), and ended up putting another new tank on.
l8whalefr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
mathteach1982
2012 KK Liberty 

Hi. I know you posted this a while ago. But I currently have the same problem with my jeep, which is an 07. I currently have about 95000 on it. The gascap light showed up followed by the check engine light. They did a smoke test then told me it was the gas tank neck, repleced it and the problem showed right up again. Now they say it is some senor. I was wondering what your problems was.

Thanks!
mathteach1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
thedude386
2011 JK Wrangler 

I had that problem on m 11 with my locking gas cap. That problem went away when I went back to my factory gascap because the salt on the roads here caused the lock to seize on my locking gas cap.
thedude386 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
gumbydammit
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had it happen on my '07. I replaced the cap and cleared the code & still came back. Turns out it was the little sensor that goes into the evap canister. If I remember correctly it was pretty cheap to replace and easy to get to... at least with a 4" lift & 37's
gumbydammit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Got it when I put a hole in my Evap Can. After I fixed the hole I had a few starts before it cleared the error. If your cap wasn't only all of the way it takes a few starts to clear it, otherwise there’s probably still a problem, somewhere...
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
gmuddy
2009 JK Wrangler 

you may want to disconnect your batty for 5 min. to reset the computer, if you continue to receive notices after that, then there is a leak somewhere.
gmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
tonga
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm currently having the same problem. 9-1-1 help. My warranty is over and I can't pass smog because the system is reading the check engine light on code. Right now the gascap light is on & check engine light due to evaporative emission system leak ( small ) and exhaust gas recircuation ( high ). Which is the cheapest & quickest route? Change gascap, if it doesnt work? Smoke test?
tonga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

I had this issue and replaced the gascap and it was still there. I ended up replacing an o-ring on the evap canister where the sensor is and that fixed the problem.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Green2007JK

I just ignore it................
2007 JKU Rubicon, RK 5.5 X Factor Plus System with RK 2.0rr's, 37" MTR's, Poison Spyder trail cage, Crusher Corners with LED lights, R-SE Step Sliders, JRC Dagger Tire Carrier Bumper, PCS box and ram, D44 sleaved-trused 5.13's, ORO sway locks and Currie 1" rear.....etc LC9 and 6l80e waiting to be installed
Green2007JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green2007JK View Post
I just ignore it................
That works as long as you don't have emission inspections. It won't pass if it shows that code.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
gumbydammit
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Borrow someone elses gas cap and see if that clears it up, if not I think the sensor & o-ring would be the best bet. As I recall it was fairly cheap and quick to replace.
gumbydammit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
5foot19
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have filled up, and between paying, texting, and entering my gas mileage info in my cell phone I forgot to put my gas cap in...

Drove home ~3 miles, no check engine light, ding, idiot lights or gascap messages...
5foot19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

Happens to me in cold weather only.
orangera1n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
TBayTelemark
2007 JK Wrangler 

I pulled off the O-ring from the gas cap, cleaned the O-ring and the top of the filler tube with methyl hydrate / methanol, lubricated the O-ring with Seal Saver (a lube for latex/rubber seals), flipped over the O-ring, and put it back on the gas cap. Problem solved. My guess is that the O-ring had dried out and flattened out over time, such that it could no longer keep the pressure seal. Once the other side flattens out, I'll replace it. 2007 JK.
TBayTelemark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.