Anyone fix the Cowl Dent from the door hitting it? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone fix the Cowl Dent from the door hitting it?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 09-16-2010, 05:52 AM   #16
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Great post, My wife's JK with full doors has one on the drivers side. I was trying to figure out what she hit when we were offroading and she swore she hit nothing. I just checked and sure enough it lines up perfectly with the mirror.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #17
copperpark
2010 JK Wrangler 

I got mine (on the driver's side) last week. Was taking the doors off for the first time, being extra careful, and my four-year-old son had gotten in the other side. He "helped" me by opening the door while I was carrying one of the others over to the side of the garage.

Mine is a small dimple. I have seen some that are two inches across.

The cowling sheet metal is just slightly thicker than aluminum foil, and spot welded on at the bottom so it can't be removed. I may try to work the dent out from the inside with a rounded-end wooden handle I have. The key is not to crease and crinkle it worse than it is now. Would care less if the Jeep was more than a month old.
copperpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #18
Dsx
2010 JK Wrangler 

Same issue. The GF wanted to surprise me on a nice day in July by taking the top and doors off herself while I slept in after work. Instead I walked out to the drive way to 2 new dents and her in tears.

The dealership told me $200 to fix them, I decided covering them was just easier.

Warrior Products Outer Cowl Covers

I'm still on the fence with how they look. They're growing on me, but we'll have to wait and see how the build comes along on whether or not they stay.
Dsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #19
jakeswingman
2011 JK Wrangler 

yes, it is. my cousin and I both have 4 door JKs and we BOTH made the mistake of letting the door swing open without the strap to stop it, and the lower corner of the side view mirror makes contact with the body first, denting that spot. they look exactly the same.
jakeswingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #20
BLACKMARKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCH0 View Post
I purchased a used 2010 that has matching door dents on each side cowl... just wondering if anyone had luck fixing their dents...
images?
Unread 07-19-2011, 04:28 AM   #21
mramella

I was quoted $160 for just one side (I only had the issue on the passenger side). I told 'em to go blow... $160 is outrageous! I managed to get most of it out by myself, using a broom handle and a rubber mallet. I just shoved the broom handle in there while the hood is up, and then lightly tapped with the rubber mallet on the opposite end of the broom handle (kinda like the hockey stick trick mentioned above). Much to my surprise, most of the dent actually popped out!
mramella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #22
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'll just throw this out there...

Hook up your damn limiting strap! 46Kish and 3.8 years on mine with no cowl dents (uh oh, better knock on wood)!
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #23
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
I'll just throw this out there...

Hook up your damn limiting strap! 46Kish and 3.8 years on mine with no cowl dents (uh oh, better knock on wood)!
Funny you should say that. 4.8 years, 58k miles and I dented mine for the first time last week. Just brain farted or something. Heat index was 115˚, the storm clouds were overhead. I hooked the last door on the hinges, then just let go of it. No idea why. Grabbed it just as it hit, but not fast enough. Nickel sized dent on the driver's side.
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #24
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

^ Karma's coming for me...I feel it. Should have kept my mouth shut
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #25
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

This is how it was described to me 3.5 years ago:

"oh, you have JK dimples too." in ten years you'll notice every JK will have these.

I have learned to live with it. Fortunately, I only have one on the driver side. But as a post above said, I leave mine on there as a gentle reminder to not be in such a hurry when removing doors etc.

Every Jeep needs dimples, chicks dig it

It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #26
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonVette View Post
Every Jeep needs dimples, chicks dig it

In that case mine has one dimple, and couple of acne pock marks, and **** load of laugh lines and crows feet.
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #27
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

^^^ those are called "smile miles" ^^^
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #28
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
In that case mine has one dimple, and couple of acne pock marks, and **** load of laugh lines and crows feet.
At least it doesn't have leprosy
Unread 07-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #29
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
At least it doesn't have leprosy
Nope, but my Harley does. I've lost mirrors, kick stands, clutch lever pin, etc. all while riding down the road. Loc-tight is my friend.
Unread 07-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #30
jesah
2008 JK Wrangler 

When I bought my used 2008 I had negotiated the repair of my cowl dents. The dealership tried to tell me somebody had already attempted to fix them. Had they told me before I signed the deal I probably wouldnt care....but, since its part of the deal. I basically told them they had to fix it. At first their "Dent guy" tried to fix it, but the more he worked it the more the paint was cracking. The stealership eventually sent it to a body shop to de-weld(is that even a word) the cowl and fix the dent. Turned into a bigger hassel then it was worth. I guess it was the principle of it all

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.