Anyone else have this many tranny issues? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone else have this many tranny issues?

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
binx

Anyone else have this many tranny issues?

Been lurking and active in other forums and am looking for input from some fellow jeepers.
I have a 12JK sport s with 6 speed manual and 3.73. I have had the neutral rattle that was so bad my transmission was rebuilt twice and then replaced shortly after because it was basically eating itself and all under 7k miles. Now the new transmission has the neutral rattle worse than the original plus it now makes a jake brake like sound when accelerating in any gear. But wait theres more...I also have this white noise sound that is constant and coming from the tranny area too, for the trifecta. Chrysler says now that these are normal since they dont know whats wrong. Funny my old one only had the first sound!? My dealer is on my side and knows its definitely bad and I am awaiting a call from chrysler to see what my options are. So my question is what are my options now, and has anyone had any similar issues? If so what was the outcome. Love my Jeep and dont want a car, but I dont think this Jeep is built for the long haul. Let alone offroad where with my luck it will seize up and I will have to get heli-lifted out of there. Thanks for any input. I Have not even gotten to wheel this thing yet becasue of these issues.

binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
gunut
2013 JK Wrangler 

time 4 Chrysler to give you a new jeep.....sounds like they have had their chances to fix it....
gunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
ncb

Mine has been good for 40,000 and four years, but that's total BS to call it normal now because they can't fix it. Fight the fight.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

well after reading this and have heard others that complain about the same. Made me wonder how good is this trans. Oddly enough finding things like torque specs is a bit criptic once again from Chrystler. seems this trans is from the older rated type that give it a 1-5. being a three on that chart. just to compare the old 42le auto was rated a 2. both are very low rated IMO. I found a few treads saying it is rated in foot pounds about 270-300. Thats seems very low. Compared to the new auto in the Jeep that is rated at 580newtons or 426ft lbs. Not that this is your trouble. but says alot about how well its made to handle power. The 3.6 can put down 265foot stock and thats right at spec of the trans with little to say for being over built by far.

Trouble with any trans that getting its full power intake, they tend to shudder at load. I would bet the issue is the bearings used on the main and counter. People think bearings from Timken are great, they are junk. I had to rebuild a about new at the time custom made trans from then Doug Nash for my z28 that had Timkens; went to a Jap HDIP(heavy duty idustrial precision) that were at the time over 200$ each, yes each(1988 dollars). had both types in my hand Timkens and these Jap ones. was like night and day. the new tims were loose and sloppy compared to the Jap ones. No more shudder at wot in any gear, thats with a old school Mrk4 Ls-7 454 bolted to it.

so it sounds like it started with perhaps a batch of looser than normal bearings, that would eat at the trans. this it is normal. is what quality control is today. much like the heads on the the 3.6 as well.
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
gunut
2013 JK Wrangler 

that's the trouble with a lot of things today....if all the parts used in a build come in at the lower acceptable spec range you have a piece of junk....they count on at least some of the parts being better than just in spec to hold the thing together....sometimes you end up with a LEMON....

and like Doc said they also use components at the high end of their use rating....what ever happened to the OVERBUILT JEEP where all parts were heavier duty than needed.....

I had a 04 Grand Cherokee that would warp the front rotors every 8-10k no mater what brand/quality I used....they were just to small for the vehicle....
gunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunut View Post
that's the trouble with a lot of things today....if all the parts used in a build come in at the lower acceptable spec range you have a piece of junk....they count on at least some of the parts being better than just in spec to hold the thing together....sometimes you end up with a LEMON....

and like Doc said they also use components at the high end of their use rating....what ever happened to the OVERBUILT JEEP where all parts were heavier duty than needed.....

I had a 04 Grand Cherokee that would warp the front rotors every 8-10k no mater what brand/quality I used....they were just to small for the vehicle....
yep its not a games of inches but thousandths of an inch. seems they could just put a freeking new box in it and at least hope that fixes it. to rebuild one takes time. that cost labor and parts. that could have been appied to the next paying job. sometimes people will spend a dollar to save a dime.
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
binx

I have a brand new box in it now. 300 miles on it now and its 20 times worse than the original. It sounds like the bearings have sand in them.

Sent from the galaxy of s3
Unread 05-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

Not to diminish anyones problems with any of their vehicles (I've had my share also) but this post reminded me of a poem I once read way back in high school.

The name of the poem is The Deacons Masterpiece or The Wonderful One Hoss Shay by Oliver Wendell Holmes. In its entirety it is too long to post here but here is a small excerpt that I think gets the point across.

Now in building of shaises, I tell you what,
There is always a weakest spot, –
In hub, tire, felloe, in spring or thill,
In pannel or crossbar, or floor, or sill,
In screw, bolt, throughbrace, — lurking still,
Find it somewhere you must and will, –
Above or below, or within or without, –
And that’s the reason, beyond a doubt,
That a chaise breaks down, but doesn’t wear out.
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

yes but before 012 all the motors used were to say the least less than power houses. Not that the penta ticker is all that powerful as well. But it is right at max spec of the present 6speeds input ability. From what I can find of the specs of this trans. when loaded a trans can wear rather fast if it shudders under load. since 012 more issue are coming up with the drive trains. expected with the added HP. no wonder they dropped the 42le(?) rated at 2 what ever that really means. Not a very good way to measure torque as compared to Newtons. Like in the new 5 speed is easy to get that spec its in the name. W5a580 the 580 part is Newtons.
Gear W5A580 Driving it you feal the dual shifting pattern. as it locks and unlocks through the 5 gears feals like many more gears. depending on load it may even pass the secondary, like when you lift off the pedal it will go rather fast to the highest gear it can run. It does tend to lug the pentaticker if you do not use the manual matic feature. I do not like a motor to be running at 1200rpm that much with the weight of a jeep and mods. ie larger tires lots of steel.
1st .........3.59.......... 3.00
2nd ........2.19......... 1.67 upshift / 1.50 kickdown
3rd......... 1.41...........1.0
4th...........1.00........ 0.75
5th .........0.83 .........0.67
Reverse ..3.16......... 3.0
Unread 05-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
binx

Went to an independent tranny shop to have one of their guys take a ride and listen. He told me it sounds like the input shaft bearing and possibly another bearing causing the issues and it should be pulled apart again. What would cause this on a brand new transmission? Bad alignment when installing it? This is beyond my scope, so anyone wanna explain in layman terms I would appreciate it.
Unread 05-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I don't have any documentation to back this, but I was told by a Mercedes mechanic that the NSG360 is rated for 348ft-lbs input with a critical failure rating of 481ft-lbs input

And considering this transmission is mated to the Mercedes 3.0L diesels in Europe in the sprinter vans, Id say you guys are way over thinking it

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.