Anybody Get Their JK Soaked Yet - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Anybody Get Their JK Soaked Yet

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 05-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Bnabb
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody Get Their JK Soaked Yet

I am a diehard YJ guy. Just recently added to the fleet and got a 2009 Sunburst Orange JK. So far I love it but my biggest question is about rain.
On my YJ, I pretty much leave the top off year round, through the sleet, snow, rain, etc. I am a little uncomfortable with doing that to my JK. I hate taking tops on and off though, atleast I have a soft top. Has anybody got caught in a downpour or accidently forgot to put their top on in the rain. Any of those fancy electronics have any problems? Any areas I should try and cover if it is going to rain?

Bnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
jbro27
2007 JK Wrangler 

Mine has gotten drenched plenty of times. I still continue to get scared and run out and put a towel over the electronics and put my top up but so far so good. But they have been wet and still work fine. Don't go by my word though I've only had my JK one summer.
jbro27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Had mine soaked several times, once got caught in a down pour driving home. No problems, not even with the steering wheel controls or stereo.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
I am a diehard YJ guy. Just recently added to the fleet and got a 2009 Sunburst Orange JK. So far I love it but my biggest question is about rain.
On my YJ, I pretty much leave the top off year round, through the sleet, snow, rain, etc. I am a little uncomfortable with doing that to my JK. I hate taking tops on and off though, atleast I have a soft top. Has anybody got caught in a downpour or accidently forgot to put their top on in the rain. Any of those fancy electronics have any problems? Any areas I should try and cover if it is going to rain?
Mine gets blasted by sprinkler jets every morning. Not a drop inside.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

One night there was a 0% chance of rain, so I went to bed and left the top off. It poured that night. Sucked because I had to sit in a wet seat in the morning, but everything worked just fine, including the aftermarket stereo I installed. There's also a fair degree of condensation on the car's faux leather/ whateverthehellitis some mornings, and everything still works.
Monkeybomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
Bnabb
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That is good to hear. I plan on ripping out the carpet and laying down some monstaliner.
Ill guess I just start carrying trash bags around with me like I do in the YJ.
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

I took the top off my 2013 the first weekend I got it. I left it out when I went to bed. Next morning woke up and the cup holders were filled to the rim with water from rain. It had 300 miles on it at the time. (13000 now) I haven't had any problems. Doesn't even smell and i let it air dry.

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
johny_boy32
2010 JK Wrangler 

I Leave The Top Off When I Got To The Lakes (75 Miles From Home) In The Summer. Even With A 0% Chance Of Rain, It Usually Gets Rained In Once A Month To The Point Where I Have To Pull The Drain Plugs…That Is In Fact What There For. It Only Took One Time For Me To Remove The Carpet And Spray The Floor. The Carpet Is Still Sitting In My Garage To This Day. I Have Almost 34K Miles On It & Haven’t Had A Single Electrical Problem.
johny_boy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
doliss
2009 JK Wrangler 

Had a freak storm roll through one day while i'm at work and dump about 2 inches. My 09 was in the parking lot with the top down and doors off. Cup holders were full of water as well as the footwell being full of standing water. I pulled the drain plugs, toweled off the seat as best as I could and drove home with no electrical or any other trouble. Took the carpets out when i got home and let them dry out on the deck for a day, and haven't had any trouble at all. Was less than a year old then and got about 45k on it now, still no issues to this day
doliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
torpex77
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would still be leery of getting the dash too wet. I run with the doors off all summer. I have the soft-top on and will put it up if I think it's going to rain. I've been late or missed a shower before without any ill effects, but I try not to make a habit of it.

I do park facing west at all times. Since the storms tend to come from that direction, the rake of the windshield helps shield the dash from getting wet.

Doug
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
marmotmb
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have run no top no doors every summer for years countless rainstorms. I leave floor plugs out always, i sometimes put a peice of paper or cardboard over radio, sometimes just a baggie tucked in to cover radio.

Apart from dash i dont worry about it YES fabric is awesome for drying, but bad for holding up to ripping tearing, then again it gets sun from 5 am till nearly 10 pm all summer here.

Heck i use a garden hose to clean the interior after wheeling i just dont spray dash
Pro Comp - Hypertech Programmer / 2.5" Teraflex coil lift & 1" M.O.R.E Body Lift / 315/75R16 Pro Comp Mt. Extremes / 16" x 8" Pro Comp Series 52 (Black) / Pro Comp steering stabalizer / Air Raid Cold air intake / Ace Enginnering and Fab Front stubby with bull bar / OR Fab Rear tire carrier / 2 Blitz Jerry Can / HI lift jack / Cherry Bomb 2.5" Exhaust and Custom Tail pipe / KC Daylighter 6" 130 Watt with Driving lense / Shifter boot trim ring bolt mod / Rear Bumper gap mod / Mirror drill hole mod
marmotmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #12
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

Same as everyone else. Theres always that first rain storm of the summer that gets ya
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #55
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Being on the highway/interstate when a summer squall rolls in doesn't leave much of an option...The dash/radio/everything is going to get soaked!
The doors stay off all season, the windows I keep rolled up in the back are worthless with no door surrounds to hook them to, and the rear window, if I rolled it down, would only make the vacuum worse!
It's not the rain that's a big problem, it's the wash (water suspended in the air) from other traffic that get all over everything...

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

As soon as I find out how far into my driveway the neighbor's sprinklers shoot, I'll know where I can park with my doors off overnight.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #15
Bnabb
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywillie View Post
It's not the rain that's a big problem, it's the wash (water suspended in the air) from other traffic that get all over everything...

I hear ya. My YJ doesn't have any flares on it and between the road water from my own tires and from everyone else's, I get drenched in it. Thank goodness for trash bag seat covers.
1950 Chevy 3600

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.