Anybody Add 7-Pin Wiring for Trailer to a JKU - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Anybody Add 7-Pin Wiring for Trailer to a JKU

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 05-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
04 RUBI
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-me

Not sure why you don't like it, it is an awesome place for the wiring. Its tucked up in there, no issues with trails. You can change the bumper etc and no worries and it works great to keep the wire up and away from carnage with the offroad trailer. I have a modified M100 trailer I use with this and it works perfect and looks OEM. Trust me, this is the way to go.
Can you post pic? I haven't mounted mine yet and you have me curious.

04 RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #17
wmshay6

What is the CVCW of a Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman44 View Post
I have a 7 pin and trailer brakes for the same reason you need them. I pull a jayco baja popup camper. I had rv dealer install 7 pin and brakes for $150
What's that bad boy weigh? And how does it tow? I currently tow my Fleetwood Graphite (2700 GVWR) with a Nissan Titan. It's kind of overkill . . . .
wmshay6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #18
mini-me
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 RUBI View Post
Can you post pic? I haven't mounted mine yet and you have me curious.
See page 1, pic is there.
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
04 RUBI
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-me

See page 1, pic is there.
Oops. It wouldn't show on my phone. Thanks.
04 RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #20
Lynhalla

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmshay6 View Post
What's that bad boy weigh? And how does it tow? I currently tow my Fleetwood Graphite (2700 GVWR) with a Nissan Titan. It's kind of overkill . . . .
unloaded weight is 3015 lbs. GVWR is 4,800 lbs. Tows great. I know I am pushing limits but manual trans and 5:13 gears help. Just took 1500 mile trip to Tenneesee mountains and it did well. a couple long 7% grade hills had me down to third gear but was able to maintain 40mph. Looking to add some umph this year by adding Ripp SC
Lynhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
oO_Rogue_Oo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-me View Post
This is the best mod ever. Get the mopar 7 pin harness. Use a hole cut blade and fit it into the body just left of the rear door. Super easy.
Seen this done before and didn't like it for one reason; it gets in the way when trying to access the tailgate with the trailer hooked up. Also don't like running heavy power wiring so close to the fuel filler. I mounted my setup on the bumper, just built a little box for it out of 1/8" sheet. So far it's never been in the way; is very well protected and no worries with wiring so close to fuel.

Unread 05-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #22
rubicube416

I put a thread up a few months ago about wanting to do it on mine and it was pretty easy, having a car hoist to able to use made the job much easier then crawling around underneath it because i tried it that was and gave up lol

"If you don't stand behind our troops, Feel free to stand in front of them"
rubicube416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #23
DocWEFest
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-me View Post
This is the best mod ever. Get the mopar 7 pin harness. Use a hole cut blade and fit it into the body just left of the rear door. Super easy.
This is a very interesting way to mod. I am interested in doing this as my first mod followed by a 2.5" lift. What measures did you take to protect the metal once you drilled the holes? How is it fastened on, additional drilling for the bolts I would assume? Did you take precautions to safe guard against water, any sealing, rubber gaskets or silicone?
DocWEFest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #24
mini-me
2012 JK Wrangler 

No need to seal anything, it is all exposed in there anyway, it doesn't change anything. Its one large bore hole in the middle, then once you have that and insert the adapter in there then you mark the other 4 smaller holes and drill them. After all the holes are drilled you can just dab some paint to cover the metal. It won't rust out in your life time. Its really easy and the best mod I have ever done. We have done this to a half dozen Jeeps and no problems.
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #25
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmshay6 View Post
Has anyone added a 7Pin connector / harness to their JKU?
I have, detailed thread here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/i...ler-jk-586378/
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #26
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

You guys are killin' me. I bought a 4 to 7 adapter and it plugs into the stock connector. Done.

Bob K.
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #27
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbronco View Post
You guys are killin' me. I bought a 4 to 7 adapter and it plugs into the stock connector. Done.
The extra pins on a 7-pin connector provide:

a). Trailer brake control.
b). Reverse lights on the trailer.
c). A "hot" wire to charge the battery on the trailer.

You don't get that simply by using a 4 to 7 pin converter.
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #28
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Fair enough. I don't pull anything that needs those.

Bob K.
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:33 AM   #29
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbronco View Post
Fair enough. I don't pull anything that needs those.
....then it seems rather strange that you would need a 7-pin connector converter. Generally, any trailer that has a 7 pin connector has one because it has trailer brakes. If you're just pulling trailers that have a 7 pin connector on them when they could be using a 4-pin connector...that would just be rather strange.
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #30
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quite a few trailers I have pulled have the 7 pin and no trailer brakes. They were U-Haul and car dolly trailers. You know as well as I that it's a crap shoot on most of those types. I just finished building a quad trailer for a friend. We put a 4 pin on it. Went up to the trailer sales and looked at similar 5x8 trailers. No 2 were alike is a lot of 6. And 2 had 7 pin connectors. Sales guy was useless. I asked him about it and I might as well said it in Latin.

Bob K.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.