Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Any way to grease driving components?

677 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ArticRubi 
#1 ·
recently ive driven on highway in less than a month about 3-4k miles, came home and took it up to the snow slushing around here and there nothing big and use my jk to take fire roads for hunting mainly, well now theres tons of squeeking while parked or at a light when i turn steering wheel. looked to see if i should lube zirks but theres nothing. how to you grease of joints of drag links, tie rods and such??

#2 ·
Stock parts are all self-sealed and greaseless. IDK what you'd do to get rid of the squeeks, except maybe a light penetrating oil (stuff that won't evaporate/dissipate) on all the suspension joints/bolts (don't spray your calipers or rotors!). Either that or buy aftermarket components with greasable zirks! :D

Similarly, has anyone ever looked into the merit of drilling and tapping stock parts for grease zirks???

:)

#3 ·
Stock parts are all self-sealed and greaseless. IDK what you'd do to get rid of the squeeks, except maybe a light penetrating oil (stuff that won't evaporate/dissipate) on all the suspension joints/bolts (don't spray your calipers or rotors!). Either that or buy aftermarket components with greasable zirks! :D

Similarly, has anyone ever looked into the merit of drilling and tapping stock parts for grease zirks???

:)
Not really worth it. When I did my drag link flip I just upgraded to greasable HD tie rod ends, about $30 each.

#5 ·
If you change your tie rod, it could affect your toe in setting, if you change your drag link, it could change the the centering of the steering wheel. Both are easy to correct, but if you take a measurement from center to center of the ball joints after you pull the rods, you should be pretty close to where you were. Here's a link to Project-JK, they do a full write up on alignment procedures.
Project-JK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.