Any luck changing the gear shift knob? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Any luck changing the gear shift knob?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
ChadGoldenberg
2008 JK Wrangler 

Any luck changing the gear shift knob?

I have an '08 Rubicon and want to put a new gear shift knob on the thing. I can't get the other one off for the life of me and was wondering if you guys had any luck. The dealer was stumped as well.

ChadGoldenberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Shimmy, shake and pull. It ain't easy, but it comes off.
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
ChadGoldenberg
2008 JK Wrangler 

Man I've tried but am scared that I might make the whole lever useless. I see that the head of the knob looks like it is attached to a base (almost like the bottom of the knob?). Do I pull the whole thing off or just what looks like the top part? Any other suggestions besides elbow grease would help as well. Any kind of spray to loosen the fit?
ChadGoldenberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
DannyBaker

Theoretically it just pulls off, but I couldn't get it off for the life of me. I ended up basically destroying it to get it off and replaced it with a Momo knob that works really well.

Someone later suggested using a hair dryer to try to loosen it up and that might make it easier to pull off. Not sure if that would help.
DannyBaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
dougr5150
2007 JK Wrangler 

A good and easy way to get the knob off is to take an adjustable wrench and tighten it down around the shifter shaft (no jokes) but leave just a little bit of play. Hold the wrench up tight to the bottom of the shifter knob then hit the wrench in an upward direction with a hammer.
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
rolandthegypsy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hi , my name is Roland and I had to change my hand brake assembly, but seeing as I had no experience I searched the net and this forum on how to remove the shift knobs. Well according to the information they just pull off. This was fine for the first knob but the transfer case knob was a b***h to remove. I took some advice and tried the adjustable wrench idea and smacking it with a hammer but could not get enough swing. The fear of accidentally hitting the plastic console with the hammer and breaking it kept me from accomplishing the act. Even though I did not hit hard I did damage the knob under. So I decided to try something new.
I decided to use a hammer puller made by Powerbuilt model number 648620, which I borrowed it actually took me longer to assemble the tool than to get the job done. I will be changing my shifter knobs for something more original but not at this time. I hope this can be of help to someone.
rolandthegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
perryhooah
2008 JK Wrangler 

yeah, kinda freaked me out, but after some tinkiering, I kinda said wtf and took a 1" (or a little bigger) wrench, wrapped it in a towel, hooked it under the knob, and tapped it with a hammer.. my 5 yr old was "helping" when it came loose, it SAILED into the rear cargo area and he laffed HAO, he bout fell out of the Jeep laffin so hard... it came off so easy! when I went to do the transfer case, he wanted me to send it flying too!

wrench and hammer, pops right off
Unread 01-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

My 08 shifter knob came off very easy compared to some of the other stories I hear. Just grab and pull.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

¡ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
bigtommyc1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Try a pipe wrench to loosen it then the hammer.
bigtommyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtommyc1 View Post
Try a pipe wrench to loosen it then the hammer.
I won't 'twist' side to side (if you try, it'll break). The way it is made, it just comes straight off.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

¡ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.