Antifreeze? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Antifreeze?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Ray-Vigo

Antifreeze?

I have a used JK that I bought a couple weeks ago from a Jeep dealership certified. The antifreeze appears to be the pink/red "5 year" stuff from Mopar (don't think it's Dexicool at least). Is this what they're putting in now? I have a bottle of traditional Prestone around as well as some Mopar (3 year). Is the 5 year/pink compatible with Prestone and with the Mopar 3 year/green? I know Dexicool is not, but have no experience with the "5 year" stuff. I hadn't even heard of all of this different stuff until recently, so I'm not sure what is compatible with what, aside from the fact that Dexicool is supposedly compatible with only itself. What about this other stuff?

Last edited by Ray-Vigo; 03-24-2012 at 05:25 PM..
Ray-Vigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

you can use any aluminum safe AF in it. The "pink" stuff can be bought at most autoparts stores. I believe it's the one with the black label in the silver container. Sorry, I don't remember the name.
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Ray-Vigo

Maybe you mean Zerex G-05? My searches kept bringing that particular type up. My practice has always been to keep a full bottle of oil, an empty jerry can, and a spare bottle of coolant in my car in the event I have an emergency and need to make it to the next exit/shop. From what I can tell the stuff in there is pretty fresh, though I do like having that spare bottle in the car just in case.
Unread 03-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-Vigo View Post
I have a used JK that I bought a couple weeks ago from a Jeep dealership certified. The antifreeze appears to be the pink/red "5 year" stuff from Mopar (don't think it's Dexicool at least). Is this what they're putting in now? I have a bottle of traditional Prestone around as well as some Mopar (3 year). Is the 5 year/pink compatible with Prestone and with the Mopar 3 year/green? I know Dexicool is not, but have no experience with the "5 year" stuff. I hadn't even heard of all of this different stuff until recently, so I'm not sure what is compatible with what, aside from the fact that Dexicool is supposedly compatible with only itself. What about this other stuff?
Your JK requires HOAT coolant,and being you bought it at a Jeep dealership it has the HOAT coolant in it already.It can look pinkish/orangish in color but don't be fooled color means nothing about what coolant it actually is but Chrysler only stocks HOAT coolant now.

The only coolants that will work are the MOPAR 5 years stuff,will look orange,Ford's Premium Gold coolant,or Zerex GO5(found at Napa).Anything form prestone is dexacool and can not be mixed or used in HOAT cooling systems.
Unread 03-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Your JK requires HOAT coolant,and being you bought it at a Jeep dealership it has the HOAT coolant in it already.It can look pinkish/orangish in color but don't be fooled color means nothing about what coolant it actually is but Chrysler only stocks HOAT coolant now.

The only coolants that will work are the MOPAR 5 years stuff,will look orange,Ford's Premium Gold coolant,or Zerex GO5(found at Napa).Anything form prestone is dexacool and can not be mixed or used in HOAT cooling systems.
Correct - there are several brands that make HOAT. It can be yellow or orange the pink stuff does not meet chrysler spec...
Link to a coolant type chart
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Ray-Vigo

Good information, thanks for that. I'm going to try to get some Zerex tomorrow at the local Napa.
Unread 03-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
MKWrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Oreilly Auto Parts also sells the Zerex G05
MKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I just bought a new water pump at O'Reilly's. The asked if I needed antifreeze so I said. He grabs a couple of gallons and tells me this will work with anything. I didn't really pay to much attention because I have other things on my mind. I get home and notice it says Prestone Extended Life Dex Cool.

On the back it says it meets a certain GM spec. It also says it meets a certain Ford spec. After that it says it meets Daimler/Chrysler MS-7170, MS-9769

I am glad I didn't change the pump because I am uncertain if this is the right crap. I probably will return the bottles for a refund and get some at the dealer since I don't really know what the hell to buy.

In the old days antifreeze was green, plain, and simple and worked in all engines and vehicles.
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
...In the old days antifreeze was green, plain, and simple and worked in all engines and vehicles.
Damm ainít that the truth. Itís just one thing after another.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, you need to get the right stuff. The other stuff does not mix well with the correct stuff.

You need distilled water and something that meets/approved for MS 9769. I just changed out my old antifreeze and used Zerex G 05.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002
Yeah, you need to get the right stuff. The other stuff does not mix well with the correct stuff.

You need distilled water and something that meets/approved for MS 9769. I just changed out my old antifreeze and used Zerex G 05.
I am confused then because this bottle of dexcool says MS9769.

Regardless, I think the dealer is the way to go because there are more flavors of antifreeze than there are koolaid.

FWIW, dealer wanted $345 for the water pump. O'Reilly had a remanufactured one for $34 and a new one for $38 so I went with the new one which has a lifetime warranty.
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I am confused then because this bottle of dexcool says MS9769.

Regardless, I think the dealer is the way to go because there are more flavors of antifreeze than there are koolaid.

FWIW, dealer wanted $345 for the water pump. O'Reilly had a remanufactured one for $34 and a new one for $38 so I went with the new one which has a lifetime warranty.
I saw that in your previous post, but unless it says something like "can be used with" (which doesn't mean it meets or exceeds the HOAT requirements), I don't know how that can say a non-HOAT antifreeze can mix well with a HOAT.

Here's an interesting link: http://www.gohtsn.com/article_321.shtml
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s

Last edited by joe002; 03-09-2013 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: Added link
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

This is a pretty hot topic on some German car forums. It seems like it's a big debate over the "pink" stuff and the "green" stuff, because the dealer "pink" stuff is so expensive. One guy even went and did an extensive research study on the topic. IIRC it's the mixing of the two that causes problems. Gunk build up, corrosion etc... so to switch to the cheaper "green" stuff guys were flushing the radiators completely and switching with no probs. I personally would just rather spend the extra money for the dealer stuff and peace of mind.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.