and the anti spin differential rear axle option does what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > and the anti spin differential rear axle option does what?

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 09-18-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
mickfluff

and the anti spin differential rear axle option does what?

Thanks for the help, have an idea of how it works buf if someone could clarify this for me that would be great. Is this something you would get as an optuion without question for all buyers or more for real off roaders? Its only 250 bucks but all these side options add up!

mickfluff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
Hitmanx800

it is a limited slip differential
Home Made Disconnects
D30/D44 3.73 Trac-lok
Cragar Black Soft 8's & 32x11.5 BFG MT[/CENTER]
Hitmanx800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
mickfluff

any examples

Just curious how one will see the real difference on both dry pavement (or here not feel anything at all) or on slippery conditions etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmanx800
it is a limited slip differential
mickfluff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Hitmanx800

pretty much one one tire loose traction it will put a certian amount of tourqe to the tire with traction, like a detriot true trac will put 5 times the amount of tourqe avaible to the tire without traction to the tire with traction so if you have say 50ftlbs of trorqe to the trie with no traction it will put up to 250lbs to the tire with traction, but if one wheel is in the air that means it has 0lbs of trouwe which will put none to the other tire becuase 0*5=0, but sometimes if you use the e-brake it will provide traction. someone else could possibly explain it better
Home Made Disconnects
D30/D44 3.73 Trac-lok
Cragar Black Soft 8's & 32x11.5 BFG MT[/CENTER]
Hitmanx800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
ODAMO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Posi

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

Check out this site, it explains diffs very well.
ODAMO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
IGZLBR
2002 XJ Cherokee 

actually, the new wrangler has 'ETC' which is electronic traction control. This works by fooling the ABS system and engaging 'micropulses' of brake activity when there is unwanted rotational travel at the wheels.

For example, when you have your Jeep articulated over two opposing bumps or rocks and two of your four wheels are in the air, the wheels in the air will be the ones that spin (on previous model TJ's, YJ's, CJ's) which of course sucks. By giving the Jeep slight acceleration, the ETC will be activated and pulses the brakes (you wouldn't likely feel it, but may), on the open side if the diff. This in turn stops the open diff from recieving the power and torque and fools the diff into sending it back to the other side, which will move the wheel which is planted and should, begin to move the Jeep.

This entire process is taking place many time over, second by second and improves traction.

Notwithsatnding, it is not equal to Rubicons locking diffs but is much more effective than Jeeps prior to 2007.

How this will impact limited slip that is offered I cannot say. I would have to dig deeper to find ouf having no anti-spin diff's eliminates ETC when it is not ordered.
IGZLBR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #7
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

it'll be similar to the Trac-loc wont it?

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2006, 07:44 PM   #8
ODAMO
2008 JK Wrangler 

ETC alone will not be as effective as ETC with a LSD. The reason being is that with the LSD the ETC will not have to take effect as soon and the when it does it will give the LSD a stronger attempt at lock-up. When you have a Posi and apply a little brake it attempts to lock-up firmer because you are trying to equalize torque
ODAMO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2006, 09:04 PM   #9
SCouch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My Sahara has both, I am not sure how they will work together.

If you off road, you need the limited slip, it is expensive to add later.

ETC is not for off road conditions, it will prevent you from applying power to the rear wheels, and possibly front, not sure.
In mud the ETC will fight to prevent the wheels from spinning, and as you apply power it applies more brakes. It is great for on road conditions such as sand, snow or ice on the road. I used it once to get a Yukon unstuck, but could only apply a little power and rocking motion to get it out. If I had used a lot of power it would have burned up the brakes.

The limited slip links the rear wheels so that they rotate the same speed. I think the explanation of applying different amounts of power to the rear wheels is misleading, it only locks them together. An open differential would allow the power to go to the wheel with less traction, since there is less resistance. The limited slip delivers equal to both wheels, so if one wheel has traction, the power can be delivered to that wheel, and if the wheel with poor traction is not spinning it has better cohesion.

If you don't intend to off road, the ETC is enough, the limited slip can also cause extra wear on the tires.
SCouch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2006, 09:14 PM   #10
SCouch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickfluff
Just curious how one will see the real difference on both dry pavement (or here not feel anything at all) or on slippery conditions etc...
The limited slip can actuall cause more problems on slippery roads. If you over apply power to the rear wheels, both wheels are spinning, and the rear of the vehicle slides or can spin the car around. With a normal differential, only one tire spins, which gives you less power for movement, but the other wheel that is not spinning will hold the vehicle straight. Of course if you apply enough power you can make both wheels spin even with a normal diff.

The EST usually uses the normal differential but controls spin with the brakes, which is the best solution for slower movement on slippery road conditions.

I was supprised to see my Unlimited with EST and limited slip, the limited slip would make the EST useless, as far as I know, unless the EST will also control the front axle. Not sure about this.
Unread 09-18-2006, 09:18 PM   #11
IGZLBR
2002 XJ Cherokee 

in mud or poor other conditions that warrant more traction, you need to disengage the esp completely (press and hold the esp button for 6 seconds, rather than just pushing one time) so that the traction contrrol will allow the ltd slip to engage equally as you refer to.

Current Rides: 1993 Grand Wagoneer, 1992 Cherokee
Past: 1982 CJ-7, 1986 CJ-7, 1994 YJ
Unread 09-18-2006, 09:42 PM   #12
SCouch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGZLBR
in mud or poor other conditions that warrant more traction, you need to disengage the esp completely (press and hold the esp button for 6 seconds, rather than just pushing one time) so that the traction contrrol will allow the ltd slip to engage equally as you refer to.
So this is not the typical Chrysler clutch type limited slip? If it is not the clutch type, and engages the limited slip, I can see how it will work with ETC.

I haven't even read the manual yet, so I guess it's time to read!!
Unread 09-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #13
IGZLBR
2002 XJ Cherokee 

the etc that comes on wrangler is a carry over from SRT LX cars (charger, magnum, 300). This three level ESP that is in the cars it is exclusive to SRT models whereby you have 3 levels of traction control (which work in conjection with esp).

In cars equiped with regular esp (all rear wheel drive LX...V6 or V8) you push the esp button and the system shuts off. The light in the dash comes on (howing squiggly lines and a back wheel view), which (among other things) allows a little fun with your hemi and will allow the diffs to spin....'semi-freely'...about 20% traction control still remains 'on'.

However, the esp in the wrangler is the same one found only in SRT until now. it has another level that allows 100% disengage/disconnect of the traction control. In SRT it allows a full racetrack experience by letting the car drift under the right conditions. With wrangler, it allows the same diconnect to take place so you have 100% control over how you want your jeep to react in off road use.

Unread 09-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #14
IGZLBR
2002 XJ Cherokee 

It is still a limited slip diff, but we are now entering an era with Jeep that the computer can (or can not if you choose) fool the mechanical system of the diff into engaging.

Unread 09-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #15
IGZLBR
2002 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry, let me correct myself....from notes I made at the drivetrain clinic on the new running gear. The Jeep has "brake lock differentials" which are more durable because they have no clutch pack to burn out and are therefore less costly to produce and consiquently less costly and less likely to need replacement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.