Anti-Slip / Limited Slip HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Anti-Slip / Limited Slip HELP!!!

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 05-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
mtb1981
2008 JK Wrangler 

Anti-Slip / Limited Slip HELP!!!

I've been pricing out an '07 which I hope to buy in the next few months if I can find it, but I haven't been able to get a straight answer from any dealer as to the difference in the differentials. The options for the X are "anti-spin rear differential not desired" "Anti-spin differential rear axle" "Trac-Lok Limited Slip Rear Differential" and "Locker Rear Axle". I'm confused as to if there is a difference, and which I should get. ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks.

mtb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
gjeepguy

limited slip gives more power to the wheel that is moving the slowest, backwards from an open diff. it kicks in when needed and is more or less forgot about otherwise.

a locker (in this case electronic) is either off, or on. when it is on, both wheels move at the same speed (locked together). when it is on, the diff operates like an open diff. you need to know when you are going to use it/need it and when you dont. in the case of offroading, you could leave it on all the time, but you dont need it all the time.
gjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2007, 12:00 AM   #3
kubwa_jim
2007 JK Wrangler 

If the money is not a big issue, go with the locker. When it comes down to it, you either need it or you don't. When you do need it, you will be real glad you are not fooling with a limited slip and that you do have both wheels working for you.
kubwa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
Volley

A locker IMO is one of those things you get if you think you are going to use it. If you are just a daily driver and no real off road or anything then the limited slip would probably serve you just fine. I had an electronic rear locker on my last truck (Tacoma), had it for 2 years and never once used the locker. I don't really off road so I never got in a situation to need it. For snow or whatever, just regular 4WD was enough for me to handle any situation I was in. Long story short it really depends on what you plan to use the Jeep for IMO.
Volley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.