Another Rough Idle Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Another Rough Idle Thread

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Another Rough Idle Thread

Yup...you read it correctly. Despite the copious amounts of research that I have already done, I figured that it wouldn't hurt to post this anyway. There's a lot of brain power here and I could use some of it. Here goes:

I have an 09 Rubi with approx. 66K on it. About 6 months ago it started to idle roughly when stopped at a light, etc. I noticed that the rpm's would even sometimes fall below 500 , causing the Jeep to really twitch. Nonetheless, no codes were thrown, so I kept driving her anyway.

However, when I was at Rausch in March climbing a hill (not sure if this is important, but want to be as accurate as possible) when the throttle stopped being responsive. Immediately the electronic throttle control light (the red "lightning bolt") came on. I tried restarting the Jeep 3 times and it would always reappear and the throttle was no responsive. Finally, on the 4th restart, the light stayed off and I was able to drive 200 miles home.

I brought it to the dealership thereafter because the engine was still idling weird, to which they updated the software on the Jeep. Problem is, it is still idling very rough. I went a second time to the dealership, but they claimed that everything was fine, which clearly is not the case.

As per some background, the TB is clean, the plugs and wires were changed at 50K, I ran Techtron through, but nothing thus far has helped.

Any ideas?

Skids- Sway Bar, c. arms, s.mounts, oil pan, evap. cannister, EVO C2 front axle Gussets...
jehnmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Jeepzeroone
2008 JK Wrangler 

MY 08 41k did the exact same thing.
New battery fixed it.
Jeepzeroone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Interesting....I read a response like this before. Problem is, how/why would an old battery only affect the electronic throttle response?

Skids- Sway Bar, c. arms, s.mounts, oil pan, evap. cannister, EVO C2 front axle Gussets...
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehnmg View Post
Interesting....I read a response like this before. Problem is, how/why would an old battery only affect the electronic throttle response?
For example, the new battery could be overcoming an issue (like a poorly grounded alternator) that the weaker battery could not.

but rough idle can be caused by a variety of issues. bad sensor(s), dirty TB, vacuum leak.

Any codes being thrown?
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

There was a code thrown, which I believe had to do with a faulty electronic throttle control light illuminating. That said, the dealership's response was to update the ECU, which has not worked.

Unread 06-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Update

I put Sea foam in the oil and gas 3 tanks ago. Believe it or not, the engine knocking is virtually gone and the idle is also considerably smoother.
Just putting it out there, FWIW for anyone else who is having a similar issue

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.