Another radio/ipod question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Another radio/ipod question

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Churdensity

Another radio/ipod question

Ok I have been drudgeing through the sea of information on

I oredered my 2014 JK yesterday with the alpine premium package, but without the connectivity group ...connectivity seemed not worth $600

BUT

Im doing research now on how I can get my iPod/ iPhone connected without having an ugly wire hanging out of the AUX port on the stock radio. I was wondering if, with the stock radio, I could add an iPod connection in the glovebox that would be controllable through the steering wheel buttons? I would love to not have to order the (to me) over priced connectivity group just for the ipod connection

I have this week to decide if I should add the connectivity group or deal with an ugly wire

Churdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Churdensity

http://www.jeepworld.com/accessories...er/ipodkit.htm would somehting like this work??...as I understand there is not USB connection in the lowest end head radio unit
Churdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

On the base radio, all that's on the front is an aux input. I have no idea what's on the back, but I doubt there's a USB. From the description, it looks like they just fabbed a cable with an RCA jack on one side and Apple 30-pin on the other. Note that the option that allows for steering wheel control requires uconnect.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

FWIW and IIRC, the Connectivity Package also allows for Bluetooth streaming. I have an Android, and my other half has an iPhone5. While the option is nice to have the USB connection in the center console (charges the iPhone while being able to control music from the radio/steering wheel controls), when I drive it, I use the BT streaming option in lieu of the 3.5mm jack. For me/us, it was worth the price for the convenience...
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

A simple cable to the input jack is not going to cut it.

You'll have to spring for this and then install it:

http://www.moparsupercenter.com/ucon...m82212159.html

Don't overlook the microphone and button if you want the full Uconnect experience. This assumes that you have the base radio.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
xsdbs

I would suggest that you have the Connectivity group installed or even find a vehicle with it already in the vehicle. You'll be much happier and it will be quite useful for hands free operation of calls, iPod playback and streaming audio.
You can add it to a vehicle if it's not already installed. You need to make sure that the radio has the Uconnect phone and voice buttons (even though it can also be installed if the radio doesn't have the buttons, just a different kit and you'll have a touch pad with those buttons on it). After the installation of the kit, the dealer has toprogram the vehicle to sales code "RSP" in order for the CAN BUS network to power it up.
xsdbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.