Another noob - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Another noob

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
DrunkSailor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Another noob

Hi everyone,

Im fairly new to the JK community and just purchased a 2013 Black JKU. My 5
meter target is new tires and wheels. Before I go into what I want, let me
explain why I want and what my intentions of use are.

This Jk will be my daily ride. I do intend on off-roading, not rock climbing,
just some mud trails and very mild if any rocks. Potentially if I get the
itch, it may turn into a project much further down the road but not
now. I'm currently stationed in South Florida but next year will be making
the drive across country to San Diego, so those are my current and
prospective terrains.

As far as what I'm looking at doing in the next 2 years are your standard
noob upgrades. Tires, wheels, side steps, pocket flares, front and rear
bumper, intake and exhaust.

I love the look of a mean meaty knobby tire and a wide stance.

I went and started looking at purchasing 33's mainly because I just cant
afford to bump up to 35s because of the necessity of a lift. Currently I am
looking at Mickey Thompson ATZ or MTZ along with the 17" classic III wheels.

Now my predicament is this: I've been reading up in detail on what tire is
best for what and it seems like the deeper I read the more I realize I have
no idea what I'm talking about lol. Now since this JK will be my daily drive I
wanted to also balance performance, looks, road manners, versatility and safety

So I wanted to get your point of view on this situation to balance what I
want, what I need, and what I can afford.

I want to hear what you think about this. I'm sure this is a repeated
question on this forum so if there are links to obvious answers please share
them. But I would actually appreciate your thoughts

Cheers fellas

DrunkSailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

For your situation, I would recommend a good all terrain tires that will wear good on the road and perform reasonably good in the off road situations you describe. Knobby looking tires are a great purpose driven tire, but generally do not offer great mileage (wear) on the highway. Just my thoughts...it is a good idea to drive it a while in stock form to see just what it can do off road in stock condition...good luck and drive safe.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

just a thought from seeing somewhat the same posts over and over tires lifts, gearing etc. as you note.

your plan of operation includes. mud, water and hardly any "rock". you do know more jk's meet their end in mud and water? Much of that is from to much right foot and gravity.

If it was me and my play ground was mud water. Getting a snorkel would be as important as 35"s and a 4" lift with body armor. It takes so little water to cause real hell in a Penta6. Fixing that later would mean a trans plant, though the thought of a Lh9 v8 might be worth running with no air clearer too.

Next issue is a Jk has a lot of electrical parts. Its not as water proof as Jeep would like you to believe. Heck from all the post here you would think the tops are made with holes. I had a chance to Run Fordyce In Cal. this year. But passed as I know rock crawling in a river, in a Jk with all them electrical parts that are in no way mill spec water resistant is like a monkey playing with a hand grenade.

I hate mud my Jeep is like a cat. It see's water, mud, its looking at scaling walls before she gets her toes wet.

Have fun, cleaning it
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Intake/exhaust is generally a good starting point, but not on these. There are some good exhaust upgrades, but not for engine performance reasons...and there's almost no way an aftermarket intake will gain you any noticeable power (the best dyno anyone can find shows about about 5hp improvement) and almost all of them will make your Jeep more prone to sucking in water.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Florida.....get those atz if you are set on that brand of tires. And a snorkel...just incase the next katrina hits. Hell in 04...florida had 3 hurricanes hit in a row

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Agree with the above: You would be better off with AT tires. MT look nice, but are not practical for mostly daily driving.

Also checkout the Goodyear Duratrac. They look a lot like MT tires, but are AT.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
DrunkSailor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thnak you all for the great input.

No Im not really set on anything yet. It just seems that Mickeys are the thing I seem to like. The duratracs look really good to plus really cant go to wrong with good year.

I actually considered getting a snorkel but kind of put it on the secondary list of mods. How difficult are they to install? Or is that a pro job?
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

Congrats on the new Jeep. I too am a noob, but the people on this forum have been super helpful and so far understanding. The veterans had to start somewhere too, and it shows on this forum. I'm in the same boat you are in, trying to balance all the options. It's dizzying how many combinations of options are out there. I'm up in Jacksonville, FL and there are a couple good local shops up here. I've been wheeling it stock and am amazed at how this thing handles without aftermarket mods. I was leaning towards the Nitto Trail Grappler, but I am leaning toward the Duratracs. Every time I think I have made my mind up, I read or find something else I like.
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrancis View Post
Congrats on the new Jeep. I too am a noob, but the people on this forum have been super helpful and so far understanding. The veterans had to start somewhere too, and it shows on this forum. I'm in the same boat you are in, trying to balance all the options. It's dizzying how many combinations of options are out there. I'm up in Jacksonville, FL and there are a couple good local shops up here. I've been wheeling it stock and am amazed at how this thing handles without aftermarket mods. I was leaning towards the Nitto Trail Grappler, but I am leaning toward the Duratracs. Every time I think I have made my mind up, I read or find something else I like.
Go with the Nitto Trail Grapplers!
Wait! Maybe you should go with the Duratracs.
J/K
Either one are very good brands and can't go wrong with.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
rayder1

Welcome to the club! I'm half a noob on the forums but not a jeep noob. I agree with the posts about water and the "not so waterproof" jeep electronics. Water and mud require a decent lift and other protections.

My experience is they are great desert crawlers, you'll find a lot of that in San Diego...as well as rocks. I've had no issues with "some" mud and "some" water with bone stock rigs. You can climb and descend near vertical rock strewn trails with most jeeps out of the showroom. The Jeep testing ground in Yucca Arizona (been there a few weeks ago) is what these are built for and where the engineers decide on components.

They take the branded Rubicon and Moab etc units to those locations for final testing. But you'll find you have to do some mods for regular use on the other stuff.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #11
DrunkSailor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thank you all for the great advice so far.

And youre absolutly correct about changing your mind every 5 seconds. Ive already switched my rythem to a set of duratracs with MT sidebiters

A far as a snorkel is concerned; Im terrified to cut into my hood. Trust me when I say I know the effects of hydrolock (RIP VW GTI)
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #12
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

First of all, props to you for explicitly stating your intentions and doing research first.

I also suggest the Goddyear Duratracs. I run them on my TJ and love them. I have probably 5k miles on them and they still look brand new (tread wise). They're great off road, don't cake mud easily, and are very quiet on road. I can only barely hear them on the highway. And that's with a soft top.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

My latest noob concern is how sloppy the factory bolts are in the suspension components. I haven't had time to get one off to see if this was addressed in the '14.
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
DrunkSailor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ok so I met with a local shop yesterday and offered me a much better price and arrangement then the other I recently visited.

33" Duratracs on 5-MT Side biter IIs fully installed for roughly 3.2K

also inquired on

35" Duratracs on 5-MT Side biter IIs with a 2.5 Inch Procomp lift fully installed for 4K

I'm actually thinking of saying F' it and just going with the 35 setup. I mean eventually I'm going to want 35s and a lift so why double my efforts.
Now the reason I'm going with the local shop is that the same 33 setup was offered to me at almost 3.5k at the first one I found. Clearly I was getting setup to get raped. lol

Let me know what you think about these terms. If you see something that raises alarms please speak up. Or any advice for that matter. Looking fwd to your thoughts.
Unread 09-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you want to do 35s eventually you might as well for such a minor price difference. There's no way I'll have the pocket change to do all of it at once (labor prices here are apparently higher), so when my OE tires are finally due for replacement I'll get 33s on 17s, then down the road when I can lift it I'll upgrade to 35s.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.