Another New Jeep Owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Another New Jeep Owner

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 10-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Rdwilli
2012 JK Wrangler 

Another New Jeep Owner

Hello

I figured it was about time to get started asking questions. After spending nearly a month reading various threads on this forum and doing a ton of searching I finally came to a conclusion. I screwed up.

First, a bit of a back story. I had a 2010 Nissan Xterra Offroad. Was the nicest vehicle I ever owned. The wife decided one day that we were paying way to much for it. Jokingly, I said fine i'll just trade it in on a Jeep. And I did.

So, there you have it. I knew I wanted a newer 2dr Jeep. Found one. Drove it. Kicked the tires on several others. Had lots of buttons.

Like and Idiot I didn't research what I was buying. I had absolutely no Idea Jeeps came with so many different options. All the other vehicles I ever bought had different Trim packages and what not. To be honest even if I had researched I doubt I would have found more than the Trim packages.

Anyway.

The Stealership did their job like champs. So I drove home this 2012 Jeep Sahara. What a ride! It's so cool!

Now comes the realization of what I had done. I read through the forums and I started asking myself more questions. Thought it was buyers remorse at first. Then after more reading I realized my fear had been correct.

I bought the Collage Girls Dream Jeep...

3:21 gears, 18" gaudy wheels, Automatic, and all that jazz.

The wife likes it ok. I'm stoked to own a jeep. Problem is. I want to MOD! Thanks Jeepforum.com

As I've said. I've read a lot on here and realize everyone has an opinion. Most of the time however I end up with more questions than answers after reading some of these threads. I look for an answer to those questions then start questioning, myself for questioning the previous thread. So I know for a fact I've read this somewhere here before but I needed a place where I could ask for myself.

If I were to do a TF 2.5 BB lift do I need spacers or new wheels? (I believe the answer is yes, please follow my line of thought)

If so, I need 4.5 back spacing on the aftermarket wheels correct?

From looking around at some places for wheels I'm not sure if 16" or even 15" wheels will work. I thought I saw someone say they would but I can't seem to find what I need.

Last question. Is 2.5" lift to much right off the bat if I don't plan on putting bumpers or skids on anytime soon. And I mean, to quote the wife " when heck freezes over" kinda length of time?

Sorry about the novel. Thanks for finishing.

Rdwilli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
04WJfreedom
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdwilli
Hello I figured it was about time to get started asking questions. After spending nearly a month reading various threads on this forum and doing a ton of searching I finally came to a conclusion. I screwed up. First, a bit of a back story. I had a 2010 Nissan Xterra Offroad. Was the nicest vehicle I ever owned. The wife decided one day that we were paying way to much for it. Jokingly, I said fine i'll just trade it in on a Jeep. And I did. So, there you have it. I knew I wanted a newer 2dr Jeep. Found one. Drove it. Kicked the tires on several others. Had lots of buttons. Like and Idiot I didn't research what I was buying. I had absolutely no Idea Jeeps came with so many different options. All the other vehicles I ever bought had different Trim packages and what not. To be honest even if I had researched I doubt I would have found more than the Trim packages. Anyway. The Stealership did their job like champs. So I drove home this 2012 Jeep Sahara. What a ride! It's so cool! Now comes the realization of what I had done. I read through the forums and I started asking myself more questions. Thought it was buyers remorse at first. Then after more reading I realized my fear had been correct. I bought the Collage Girls Dream Jeep... 3:21 gears, 18" gaudy wheels, Automatic, and all that jazz. The wife likes it ok. I'm stoked to own a jeep. Problem is. I want to MOD! Thanks Jeepforum.com As I've said. I've read a lot on here and realize everyone has an opinion. Most of the time however I end up with more questions than answers after reading some of these threads. I look for an answer to those questions then start questioning, myself for questioning the previous thread. So I know for a fact I've read this somewhere here before but I needed a place where I could ask for myself. If I were to do a TF 2.5 BB lift do I need spacers or new wheels? (I believe the answer is yes, please follow my line of thought) If so, I need 4.5 back spacing on the aftermarket wheels correct? From looking around at some places for wheels I'm not sure if 16" or even 15" wheels will work. I thought I saw someone say they would but I can't seem to find what I need. Last question. Is 2.5" lift to much right off the bat if I don't plan on putting bumpers or skids on anytime soon. And I mean, to quote the wife " when heck freezes over" kinda length of time? Sorry about the novel. Thanks for finishing.
the spacers and new wheels are usually to fit a larger tire. Are going with a 35" tire? And do you plan on off-roading or is this just a daily driver?
4.5" or less back spacing is correct depending on what size tire you go with. And you can run some 15" wheels and all 16" wheels and larger. There is a list of witch 15" wheels will work somewhere in the facts section I think.
4:88 Yukon gears
KOR Drive shafts
04WJfreedom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Rdwilli
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
the spacers and new wheels are usually to fit a larger tire. Are going with a 35" tire? And do you plan on off-roading or is this just a daily driver?
4.5" or less back spacing is correct depending on what size tire you go with. And you can run some 15" wheels and all 16" wheels and larger. There is a list of witch 15" wheels will work somewhere in the facts section I think.
Thanks for the reply.

I do plan on going to a 33" tire for now. I do plan on doing some off-roading but nothing crazy and it is currently my DD.

From what I can tell the tires that fit the 16" wheels are much less expensive than 18's an there are a lot more choices out there. Is that correct?

Is there any other benefit to running the smaller wheels than cost? I need ammo for the argument that's surely coming up with the wife.
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
gillbot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Cost is the primary factor on the 16's. Heck, many people give the stock 16" wheels away.
gillbot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Magatetzz
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you will be buying wheels, I would suggest you go 17, far more options, tire wise, at little to no extra cost when compared to 16s.

Best gas milage from my Jeep to date: The time I pushed it across the lot at work.
Magatetzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'd second 17's, and 285/70/17 tires (33'S) like the goodyear duratrac. You can fit these Stock, but they look great with a leveling kit, or 2" BB lift. Also, any bigger tires, and you'd probably want to regear.

A 2.5" front/ 1" rear lift would work well for you.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Psycho-X-Jeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

As a fellow Jeep and Xterra owner, let me chime in. Since this is your daily driver the only thing you will miss about the xterra is the engine. I haven't had the pleasure of driving with less than 4.10 gears in the jeep, but even that takes some getting used to. IMO the safari package is what I would have gone with if I didn't ever do any major offroading. So don't beat yourself up over it. You can do 2" of lift, stick with stock wheels, and run 33" tires without any rubbing. Dont go any bigger with the gearing u have now or it will likely feel like a slug (if not already). Get some mild wheeling experience in with it set up this way before you decide to do anyyhing more drastic. Remember one thing... while a lot of the guys on here have friggin sweet rigs... they are built for purpose and USED regularly, so they NEED to be big and bad. Yours doesn't... yet!
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
wetsquirrel
2013 JK Wrangler 

Here's a pic of my wife's 2013 Sahara. Stock suspension w/ 17" X 9" XD Cranks, 5" back space. The tires are Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/17. Haven't had any rubbing issues so far. Lift is in the works.
jeep-002.jpg

wetsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Heck, when I bought my JK, I did not know the difference between a Rubicon and a Sport. I thought the interior must be somehow different. LOL!

Any JK is seriously capable off-road as soon as it rolls off the dealer's lot. TF is a good company. 33's will give you a more aggressive stance, and well....that's when the Jeep illness grabs ahold of you and you can't stop modding. Have no remorse, with our help (Mwahahaha....) we can build your Sahara into a tank! You can always give the wife the "college girl" Jeep and buy another.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

I too would probably say go with 17's. I have 15's and like them but there are not a lot of options in the 33+ range any more. 17 is the new 15. Everybody is making tires for 17's now. 15's are being forgotten but yes they are cheaper.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Rdwilli
2012 JK Wrangler 

Awesome! 17's it is. So the 33" tires won't rub on a stock suspension? Thought I read somewhere that it would. Sorry just making sure. I do want a lift of some type but will have to do it in stages.

I felt my heart sink when I read about the gearing. The Jeep came with a tow package so I thought I was good to go. Pulled my 5x8 enclosed trailer over the the scout camp last weekend and wow... sure does lack in the power. The Xterra would yank that thing around like it was a my sons little red wagon. The regear will most likely have to wait until the factory warranty is up. The wife already found out about that mess some how.

I've seen a lot of talk about the ACE rails. Who sells them? Didn't see them on Quadratec. The wife doesn't like the stock steps.
Unread 10-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
Rdwilli
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Here's a pic of my wife's 2013 Sahara. Stock suspension w/ 17" X 9" XD Cranks, 5" back space. The tires are Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/17. Haven't had any rubbing issues so far. Lift is in the works

Love those wheels! Nice looking Jeep!
Unread 10-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
wetsquirrel
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdwilli View Post

Love those wheels! Nice looking Jeep!
Thanks. The 285/70/17 tires are not quite 33", more like 32.5" Look forward to seeing pics of your Jeep.
wetsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Rdwilli
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Any JK is seriously capable off-road as soon as it rolls off the dealer's lot. TF is a good company. 33's will give you a more aggressive stance, and well....that's when the Jeep illness grabs ahold of you and you can't stop modding. Have no remorse, with our help (Mwahahaha....) we can build your Sahara into a tank! You can always give the wife the "college girl" Jeep and buy another
I think that "illness" has already taken ahold.

The aggressive stance is what i'm after.

Is it a good idea to hold onto my stock equipment after I upgrade so that I can bring the jeep back to stock if for some reason I by new later?
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
Magatetzz
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdwilli
Is it a good idea to hold onto my stock equipment after I upgrade so that I can bring the jeep back to stock if for some reason I by new later?
I would keep anything you can afford to. Lot of people will sell take offs to recuperate some of the cost of the upgrade but if you decide to move to a newer or different JK at any point you can pull all the upgrades that you liked and transfer them, beats buying twice!

Best gas milage from my Jeep to date: The time I pushed it across the lot at work.
Magatetzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.