Another "hey I'm gonna buy a JK thread" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Another "hey I'm gonna buy a JK thread"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Gumby1
2014 JK Wrangler 

Another "hey I'm gonna buy a JK thread"

So I'm thinking of selling my 05 Rubicon 6speed and ordering a 2013 with an Auto because I'm getting old and lazy. I love my 05 and when the JK's came out I was disappointed in the motor selection till the Pentastars came out. I know about the cylinder head issues etc, but are the JK's as reliable as the old TJ's? I haven't even driven one yet as far as power and ride etc. So lay it on me guys, what are your thoughts, dump the TJ for a JK?

Gumby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2010 so I can't speak for the 3.6, however, people seem pleased with the power and torque of the 3.6. I'm guessing things like ride quality and comfort will be night and day.

Reliability? Not too sure on that one. It could be anyone's guess how the longevity and reliability will be on this set up for a jeep. All I know is that I see a lot of older jeeps on the road. They seem to last from what I've seen. Sometimes I think maybe I should have bought an older custom jeep and saved myself $10000. But I love the JKU and its capability especially for cargo, towing and overall family vehicle.

If you want a more comfy ride, more refinements and in some of the models of fancy almost luxurious feel to it get a new one!

I personally love the saddle brown leather seats. If I bought 2013 that Would be a must for me. I like two tones also. All that comes at a price though. I wouldn't want rain or mud in there and with my 2010 I don't have to worry as much and in fact right now she's all muddy inside and out.

Depending on what you're looking for an what your needs are. I convinced my buddy to buy a 2013 Sahara and he loves it! I sold him the jeep not because he wanted to go off road. He had no intentions on doing that. For him it's the jeep subculture, cruising around on a hot summer day and picking up chicks. So he got his fully loaded and will never mud it. Which is totally cool.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

It all depends on what you want. For me, it's a do everything vechicle. It functions great as a DD, off roader, tow vechicle, and convertible. There's no other car in the world that can do those three things to the best of my knowledge.

EDIT: forgot to mention in regards to reliability- all I can say is that 11k in no problems, but that's to be expected from any new car

How old and lazy have you gotten? You can get JK's pretty stripped down if you're still looking for a more rugged car, or you can load it up and be riding in luxury. It's up to you.

Last edited by Monkeybomber; 07-03-2013 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: Forgot stuff
Monkeybomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Since you have not done a lot of mods to the TJ, go drive a JK and see if you like it. My wife's is sweet and I'm driving it more than my built LJ.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

The w580 auto is the huge improvement. 1st gear is about a full ratio lower, tap shifting. In a Rubi it is a beast with 4:10 option on the rubi. stock tires will go up in smoke. That's why it is about a bolt on to run 35"s now.

Went from a 66cj to this 012JKr auto 4:1, DD/Trail Jeep. On long drives say to trails like the Rubicon or other Cali trails its night and day compared to my 66, getting there and when there. You wont see as dramatic a change as I. But power yes, 4:10 auto rubi would leave a 05 Rubi 410 auto in the dust. Even if the 012+ had 35"s and full armor loaded with trail tools. and the 05 had stock tires.
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
JKBender
2012 JK Wrangler 

I ent from a 98 TJ to a 2012 JK. The JK is night and day over the TJ. My only issue with the JK was the price, these things have just gotten way too expensive for a Jeep... I mean, my interior was full of mud the first week I bought it, it's not a luxury car yet the Rubi is around $40k these days. As a result, I bought a fully stripped down Sport model that I will build over time... meaning I gave up my lockers, gears, tires, and winch... which sucks.

On my drive to work I am very happy with my trade up to a 2012... but on the trail, I hate being stock again.
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
csm41
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I pick up my new 2013 Unlimited on Saturday to use as my daily driver. I already have a built TJ, so the question is now how long I can keep my hands off of the new JKU. I have a hard time letting any of my cars/Jeeps stay stock for very long. Temptation...
csm41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm41 View Post
I pick up my new 2013 Unlimited on Saturday to use as my daily driver. I already have a built TJ, so the question is now how long I can keep my hands off of the new JKU. I have a hard time letting any of my cars/Jeeps stay stock for very long. Temptation...
I had a '99 TJ to start. It was built nice, but you all know, it's never really "finished". We then got a 2010 JKUR new. I was with the group of pre-JK owners that laughed and poked fun at the JK's. Then in 2010, my "better" (?) half said "you know, if I had my own Jeep, I could do my own trails at EJS. I found that as a challenge, and we went to go test drive one. WOW. Later that day, we owned a new JKUR. I started building on it, then realized that time and money wouldn't allow for 2 builds at the same time. So, I sold the TJ on base, used the money to build up the 2010 and the extra money to by an R6 (another story for another board). I can say that after putting 35's on it with an automatic, you learned to mash harder on the gas pedal to get it moving--especially living at 5k feet above sea level. I was planning on a re-gear to 5.13's, and it needed new ball joints and beefier steering components. Then I saw this "Anvil" color for 2013 on the 10th Anniversary edition, went to go see it in person, ended up trading the 2010 for it.

Anyways, to the OP, it's your call. I can say that I'm MUCH happier with the 2013 than the 2010, granted we've only had it for less than 2 weeks, and only have 400 miles on it. I want to say Chrysler has addressed the head issue (my build date was May 2013). But from what most have said, they noticed a "tick" at the dealership before they signed the paper (and yes, I know others have said it presented itself later down the road). I listened to ours after the test drive, and it was so dang quiet, you could barely tell it was running. So, we decided to get it (crossing fingers). The power/transmission difference alone was worth it--under moderate throttle, it feels great to have the front end lift up a bit... a feeling I've missed (plus on the 10A, it already comes with AEV bumpers, MetalCraft/AEV functional heat reduction hood, trans cooler (standard on automatics, I think), rail/tube sliders, and functional steel "skid" for an air dam (instead of the flimsy plastic).
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
hipshot33

question on the 14 JK

I got my 2nd e-mail from jeep... it says my 14JK scheduled for production in the next 2 weeks and gave the last 8 digits of the VIN .... went with the dune rubi 4dr... here is my situation.. trying to preorder my lift and bumpers and my local custom shop says the distributer ( smittybuilt and rubicon express) discouraged the purchase because they had not seen specs on the 14's.... it is my understanding that the 14's are JK's with no structural changes from 13... how can I confirm this ??? I would like to have my parts in hand at delivery..
hipshot33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
05TJguy
2011 JK Wrangler 

I went from an 05 TJ Sport to an 11 Rubicon and it definitely was an upgrade. I do miss my TJ from time to time, but I wouldn't go back. All I can say is go drive one, I don't think you will be disappointed.
05TJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipshot33 View Post
I got my 2nd e-mail from jeep... it says my 14JK scheduled for production in the next 2 weeks and gave the last 8 digits of the VIN .... went with the dune rubi 4dr... here is my situation.. trying to preorder my lift and bumpers and my local custom shop says the distributer ( smittybuilt and rubicon express) discouraged the purchase because they had not seen specs on the 14's.... it is my understanding that the 14's are JK's with no structural changes from 13... how can I confirm this ??? I would like to have my parts in hand at delivery..
I would imagine that reputable manufacturers would want to make sure 100% that Jeep/Chrysler has not made any changes. If they haven't been able to get their hands on a 2014 or the specs, I think they are making the right choice in doing so to help keep you/us (the customers) satisfied. The slightest change would either make them have to go back to the drawing board, or just update/change some of the install instructions. Otherwise, if you want to bite the bullet, order one for a 2013, then you may be the first to find out whether it will work or not.
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #12
Gumby1
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TJguy View Post
I went from an 05 TJ Sport to an 11 Rubicon and it definitely was an upgrade. I do miss my TJ from time to time, but I wouldn't go back. All I can say is go drive one, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Well I went and drove one, obviously you guys are right, they are night and day different driving vehicles. What a difference in ride! Dare I say almost as much of a difference between my YJ to my TJ. They couldn't get me a 2013 with the options I wanted so I ordered a 2014. Crappy part is I won't get it till October. Thanks for the input everyone, looks like i'll be hanging out in the JK forum from now on!
Gumby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
05TJguy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Congratulations!!! Can't wait to see some pics. What options/package did you end up getting?
05TJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

Congrats! I know you already ordered so it probably doesn't matter now, But I switched to my Rubicon from an SRT and while it's obviously got a lot less power and acceleration, I really don't miss it all that much and with the 4.10 gears and 35's it is still quite fast.

Plus like someone else said, it's a great do everything vehicle. I can throw my scuba gear in the back with the rubber mat, it's fine off road, on road and with our summer time rain storms and flooding are not an problem anymore.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
JKBender
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipshot33 View Post
There may be some minor changes that could impact the aftermarket. The crash-bar on the '13 is slightly different than the '12, as a result some minor cutting is required to fit some bumpers on the '13 that were designed to clear the '12 w/o any cutting. This is just 1 example that supports the response you received. The factory is continually making little changes that improve quality and/or reduce cost.
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.