JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Another Click, No-Start (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/another-click-no-start-1672601/)

D-Fox 10-11-2013 07:44 AM

Another Click, No-Start

I have an 07 JKU Sahara that's been having starting issues the past couple of weeks. It started out randomly, and has now progressed to happeningjust about every other time I start it. I turn the key, get the christmas lights, and it starts clicking as long as I keep the key turned. Originally I would just jump it and it would turn over within seconds of having the cables connected. Then my wife discovered by keeping the key turned, after a series of clicking, the engine will turn over.

Things I have checked/tried that don't work:

Battery posts and cables are free of corrosion.
Shifting to neutral doesn't work.
Pulling the J13 fuse for 30 seconds doesn't work.
Had O'Reilly's test the battery and the 'system' under load and everything checked out.

I'm getting P0513 (Invalid SKIM key) and P0562 (Low system voltage). Any thoughts? Is it possible for a battery to be bad, yet still pass the auto parts store test? I'm going to see if hooking a jumper cable to the negative post and a ground will help at all. Any other suggestions or thoughts on the problem?

Godholio 10-11-2013 09:13 AM

I've had a battery cable corrode inside the rubber sheath...there was a nick in the coating that allowed moisture to get in and turn the copper into green dust. The clicking is usually a symptom of not enough power from the battery...if the battery's good, I'd check the cables.

Wrigley 10-11-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Fox (Post 16745985)
I have an 07 JKU Sahara that's been having starting issues the past couple of weeks. It started out randomly, and has now progressed to happeningjust about every other time I start it. I turn the key, get the christmas lights, and it starts clicking as long as I keep the key turned. Originally I would just jump it and it would turn over within seconds of having the cables connected. Then my wife discovered by keeping the key turned, after a series of clicking, the engine will turn over.

Things I have checked/tried that don't work:

Battery posts and cables are free of corrosion.
Shifting to neutral doesn't work.
Pulling the J13 fuse for 30 seconds doesn't work.
Had O'Reilly's test the battery and the 'system' under load and everything checked out.

I'm getting P0513 (Invalid SKIM key) and P0562 (Low system voltage). Any thoughts? Is it possible for a battery to be bad, yet still pass the auto parts store test? I'm going to see if hooking a jumper cable to the negative post and a ground will help at all. Any other suggestions or thoughts on the problem?

Pull the starter off and check to make sure the Bendix is actually coming out each time you turn the ignition key. Sounds like the bendix on the starter is starting to go bad.

Mike

janders82 10-11-2013 12:08 PM

here's what i would do: check for corrosion of the cables (not just the connection point) clean connection points (maybe even use some sand paper on the inside of the connectors) check ground wire for good connection next time it clicks but no start: locate the starter. give it a few LIGHT taps with a hammer to loosen up any built up carbon and then try to start your Jeep again. if it starts, there's your issue. good luck

Remmy18 10-11-2013 12:24 PM

I had a similar issue on my old 08 JK. Battery tested ok but still had trouble starting. The battery was 3 years old so I changed it anyway and solved my problem. JKs do crazy stuff with low voltage. Just mentioning as I wouldn't rule out a bad battery without trying a new one. Just my $.02

MRGeep 12-31-2013 11:08 AM

D-Fox - Any luck finding the source of your problems? I have an 08 JKU Sahara that started the clicking yesterday and I'm trying to figure out my best plan of attack to get it fixed.

RockyClymer 12-31-2013 11:29 AM

As said, clicking is a sign of not enough amperage to hold the starter bendix gear engaged and turn the motor...first check battery condition, esp if the battery is still original, then check cables and ground connections.

RedRubiconLJ 12-31-2013 02:11 PM

If you have the original battery I would get that checked. Batteries tend to crash when the temp changes cold or to warm. My factory batteries have only lasted about 3 yrs before taking a dump in the fall at the first good cold spell.

If its the battery Id highly recommend the Sears Platinum. 4yr full replacement and then it starts to prorate on the 49th month. As my batteries have dumped they have been replaced with this and I'm on 4+ years on 3 of them.

$210 installed is what I have paid.

The time now is 10:31 PM.