Almost ready for 37s....brakes? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Almost ready for 37s....brakes?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #16
RobsYJeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

hawk pads for the commander and a vented rotor! it made a huge difference for me.

Unread 12-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #17
jonboy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post

I want to go to the TeraFlex Big Brake kit soon. I've heard good things about it's performance. Only problem is the proprietary brake pads...unless someone knows of another brand to replace the pads with.
I'm not using the Tera brake pads. I'm running these on the Tera kit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HWK-HB559Y-695
jonboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #18
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

This isn't the tuner scene.....

If you want the best brake kit around from the best brake guy around then you want this: http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/JK-...BK-JK-VLBK.htm

That'll take a dump on everything else that's been mentioned thus far.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 03:04 AM   #19
riverboyTJSport
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well the only way to know what I needed was to try it. So I slapped the 37s on and upped the superchips to 93 octane. For my style of driving I actually have plenty of stopping power with the stock brakes. So for now (until I NEED brakes) I think I'm ok.

But thanks for all the suggestions, I can always come back to this when it's time for brakes in the future
riverboyTJSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
This isn't the tuner scene.....

If you want the best brake kit around from the best brake guy around then you want this: http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/JK-...BK-JK-VLBK.htm

That'll take a dump on everything else that's been mentioned thus far.
I vote for this. Very Very active member here on this forum and makes the best brake kit I have seen for the TJ's. And I can only imagine what it does for a JK. This is probably going to be my next upgrade.

Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #21
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Stock brakes haven't shown any signs of not being enough so far. 37s and vehicle weight of 5400lbs here.
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #22
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010 View Post
Stock brakes haven't shown any signs of not being enough so far. 37s and vehicle weight of 5400lbs here.
even offroad in 4lo with the rubi case on a steep climb or drop? Thats when mines noticable theres times i have the pedal mashed and its just barely stopping...
Unread 12-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #23
jonboy74

When I put my 37's on my 2012 JKUR it was scary w/ the stock brakes. Going down a hill I literally rolled right through a stop sign because my brakes wouldn't stop. After putting on the Tera big brake up front, slotted rotors in the rear and Hawk pads all the way around, I can finally stop like I should. No way was I going to stick w/ the stock brakes after that incident.

Fortunately the week after I put in the new brakes, I put them to the test. Traffic came to a dead stop and right in front of me was a brand new porsche w/ paper plates. I stopped with about 2 feet to spare. No chance of that happening w/ the stock brakes! (although the brakes didnt' save my shorts...)
jonboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #24
bbbradley

Are the stock brakes not able to get into ABS and susceptible to overheating that easiky? Would a fluid and pad upgrade be a cheaper solution?
bbbradley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #25
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbradley View Post
Are the stock brakes not able to get into ABS and susceptible to overheating that easiky? Would a fluid and pad upgrade be a cheaper solution?
My ABS works with the stock brakes and 37's (2-dr, but heavily loaded with armor underneath). Never had a problem with my stock brakes holding me on a steep incline in 4LO. Usually, in 4LO going down steep hills, I don't even need the brakes. The engine compression is enough.

However, an emergency stop might buy me a new Porsche. I'd think the Tera Big Brake kit would be a worthy investment vs the alternative.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #26
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

I used centric premium rotors with ebc yellows on the front which was part of the Vanco kit. I had zero issues locking up 37's on my LJ.

I had also bought the Vanco brake kit but never installed it because of the performance I was already getting. I sold it to another Jeeper.

I have already ordered the same parts for my Jk just to have better braking. I will also be adding the same pads to the rear.

I understand the black magic is the next best thing from them. I wouldn't buy a brake kit from anyone else if it's needed.

I tried ebc slotted and drilled rotors and they sucked even with yellow pads.
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #27
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

No issues on steep declines in 4LO. Driving in FL I have also had to lock by bakes up more than once with no issues so far, hope that stays the case. Actually ended up getting rearended in one case. Have 36k miles on it and still the stock pads, the 37s have been on since 19k miles. I am really suprised by that since I know the rears have a tendancy to wear down rather quickly. I drive a manual and engine brake a good bit so it may have something to do with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.