Almost ready for 37s....brakes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Almost ready for 37s....brakes?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 11-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
riverboyTJSport
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 233
Almost ready for 37s....brakes?

I got my rims and tires in and mounted, my synergy ball joints, and teraflex axle tubes. I cancelled the artec axle armor for time being until I decide on a permanent kit (to flip or not to flip really).

I think all left is breaks, which I received in the mail today magneti morelli(sp?) offered by molar at $99 an axle. Would this be acceptable or should I replace rotors and everything with say brembo or such?

I know gears are not listed, don't worry they are covers as well.

riverboyTJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
riverboyTJSport
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 233
I did stay with 18s as well so if I needed new gear I wouldn't be too limited in selection.
riverboyTJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
jonboy74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Palo Alto, ca
Posts: 7
I run the teraflex big brake kit on my 2012. Made a huge difference w my 37's. You may need the bigger cylinder they have i think newr models have a larger stock one, i didnt need it. they take awhile to set in though mine took about 2 weeks. you have to pump the brakes until they bed in.
jonboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Jared89
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboyTJSport View Post
I got my rims and tires in and mounted, my synergy ball joints, and teraflex axle tubes. I cancelled the artec axle armor for time being until I decide on a permanent kit (to flip or not to flip really).

I think all left is breaks, which I received in the mail today magneti morelli(sp?) offered by molar at $99 an axle. Would this be acceptable or should I replace rotors and everything with say brembo or such?

I know gears are not listed, don't worry they are covers as well.
If you got the money for brembo go for it. I think its like $5k+ if i am getting what you mean replacing everything (ie rotors Caliper and pads). I have heard good things about the power stops kits if you dont want to spend alot.
Jared89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
mrwhipple
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LA
Posts: 475
The SSBC triple caliper set is about $900. They use a fairly large pad and you can use them with stock rotors.
__________________
silver jkur
mrwhipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID
 
HappyTrails's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Georgia
Posts: 1,854
Eh, brakes are highly overrated. If you rear-end anyone, most likely it will be their car is destroyed, not your Jeep (esp if you have a steel front bumper).

^^^JUST KIDDING!

I want to go to the TeraFlex Big Brake kit soon. I've heard good things about it's performance. Only problem is the proprietary brake pads...unless someone knows of another brand to replace the pads with.

In the mean time, I just give myself extra distance when following someone. Brembo would be nice, but the price tag is a bit out of my budget.
__________________
2008 2-dr Rubicon, auto,
RK 2.5" Max Travel lift, Fox 2.0 shocks, 37" Nittos, 5.38's, River Raider skids, Warn VR8000-S.
RIPP Gen 2 Stg 2 Supercharger.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
riverboyTJSport
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 233
I haven't even seen the Tera till now....I would prefer to have drilled and cross slotted if at all possible. But drill and slotted would do.

Wilwood may be the route I take
riverboyTJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
riverboyTJSport
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 233
Anyone have any experience with this kit?

Wilwood
2009 Jeep Wrangler - Front Brake Kit No.: 140-12440-D
riverboyTJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
HAFICON
Senior Member
 
HAFICON's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Buzzards Bay, Ma
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboyTJSport View Post
I haven't even seen the Tera till now....I would prefer to have drilled and cross slotted if at all possible. But drill and slotted would do.

Wilwood may be the route I take
On the Drilled and slotted I was told they warp really easy and would not be good for off road conditions, I was looking at this route have any feed back in their ability in off road conditions?
__________________
315/70/17 Duratrac on MB Wheels
AEV 2.5 with M.O.R.E 1" body lift
Viair 450c, ARB Air lockers,
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/blues-jeep-build-lots-pictures-1509366/[/url]
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!
 
Psycho-X-Jeep's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAFICON View Post
On the Drilled and slotted I was told they warp really easy and would not be good for off road conditions, I was looking at this route have any feed back in their ability in off road conditions?
Mud loves drilled rotors! Mud gets in, heats up, bakes on, and doesn't come out very easily. If I were doing a brake upgrade I would go slotted rotors only... But not everyone's Jeep sees mud so drilled could work for some folks. Just sharing my stupidity... Er, I mean knowledge.
__________________
Call me Eddo
09 JKUR - Daily Driver... Prob not for long!
06 Nissan Xterra... Too many mods to list
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
riverboyTJSport
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 233
I hate mud, but everyone gets into from time to time whether they want to or not. But that won't deter me from drilled, because slotted rotors fling out debris, it was one of the reasons why they are designed like that. The rims I bought would gives easy access to clean them out if that ever happened as well.

I know the cooling capability isn't really needed on a jeep, but they will show through my fuel boosts a little and honestly I want that bling factor
riverboyTJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
Jared89
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
Eh, brakes are highly overrated. If you rear-end anyone, most likely it will be their car is destroyed, not your Jeep (esp if you have a steel front bumper).

^^^JUST KIDDING!

I want to go to the TeraFlex Big Brake kit soon. I've heard good things about it's performance. Only problem is the proprietary brake pads...unless someone knows of another brand to replace the pads with.

In the mean time, I just give myself extra distance when following someone. Brembo would be nice, but the price tag is a bit out of my budget.
I think they just use pads from rams.
Jared89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
jski701
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Moriches, NY
Posts: 201
Drilled and slotted rotors were designed for maximum cooling in extremely high heat situations i.e. racing w/heavy braking in light cars. Best braking occurs with surface to surface friction, more surface = more braking. Go with a good high quality set up and use non-slotted non-drilled rotors for best stopping results..

Just my .02$
jski701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 05:28 AM   #14
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit
 
spyder6's Avatar
2010  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,042
Black magic brakes JK BBKis the only way to go
__________________
2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
jski701
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Moriches, NY
Posts: 201
Larger diameter rotors would be a big help too
jski701 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.