Almost bought my lift..... UGH help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Almost bought my lift..... UGH help

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-14-2014, 11:16 PM   #16
Bear9494
2011 JK Wrangler 

You have two paths. The one you are on is to move the axle farter away and provide clearance. The bump stop extensions effectively relocate your travel range to keep the axle from moving far enough up to hit anything. The second path is to move the items that could be hit when the axle moves up and your taller ( larger ) tires eat up the space. Adding flat fenders will increase your clearance without the lift. Depending on your wheels you could clear everyithing without the lift just by going to flat fenders. Then use the lift to create the suspension needs (stiffer for the added weight) but evaluate the need for bump stop extensions. Just a thought.

Bear9494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:59 AM   #17
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who says MC or RK have bad quality or unreliable. And sorry I can't see paying AEV prices to begin with on a lift that maintains the stock CAs.
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #18
grangerdw

My shop just contacted me and is suggesting the following teraflex kit:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16194_001X_PG.htm

In your opinions, where does this fit into the mix of lifts I mentioned and my overall goals?

My rig:
2014 JKU sport with 3:73 gearing
Ace sliders
Rubicon rail take offs

Goals:
95% on road though not a daily driver.
Will also be driven by my non-wheeling wife who only cares about on road performance
Will hit Rausch Creek a couple of times a year, running mostly greens and blues
Want to avoid replacing the front driveshaft until I decide to wheel harder/more often
Don't want to rub.

Wheels/Tires
315/70R17 Duratrac
17" Rugged Ridge Wheels

Other addons:
Teraflex spare carrier
Front bumper, probably Metalcloak 1401 or barricade front
Rear bumper, probably Metalcloak full or Ace pro series
4 People and camping gear

Lift kits I am looking at (grouped by my perceived price):
Lowest Cost:
2.5" AEV with brackets

Middle of the road:
RK 3.5 Flex with fox shocks and steering kit
MC Dual rate with ARB
3.5" AEV

High End:
RK X Factor with fox shocks and steering kit
MC Duraflex with undetermined shocks
MC Game Changer ARB edition
grangerdw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #19
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

2.5" MC with OME shocks ,at 2.5" you will at the limits of driveline longevity.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #20
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

No adjustible trackbars or control arms. Alot of lifts have brackets to move the rear like the Teraflex but alot of them also come with a front adj one. And even the the AEV has a system for addressing the stock control arms even if they sont replace them with adj ones.

I would be worried about raising an already top heavy vehicle and not being able to get things aligned right. I am sure some others will chime in.
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #21
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010 View Post
No adjustible trackbars or control arms. Alot of lifts have brackets to move the rear like the Teraflex but alot of them also come with a front adj one. And even the the AEV has a system for addressing the stock control arms even if they sont replace them with adj ones.

I would be worried about raising an already top heavy vehicle and not being able to get things aligned right. I am sure some others will chime in.
I agree with that and would also add if you are so concerned about sag from weight then stick with a dual rate front and rear spring. Also look ar Synergy suspension 3" springs which would be a better option than the TF imo.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #22
grangerdw

Perfect, that was what I was looking for. Leaning towards the MC dual rate ARB or the RK 2.5 Flex or Max travel.
Unread 01-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #23
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grangerdw View Post
Perfect, that was what I was looking for. Leaning towards the MC dual rate ARB or the RK 2.5 Flex or Max travel.
If you decide on the Rock Krawler 2.5 Inch Max Travel shoot me a PM. I'll get a good price on that lift with free shipping. You can also let me know if you have any questions at all.

-Ryan
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #24
grangerdw

Decision made and kit and components are ordered.

Going with the RK 2.5 Flex system
Fox 2.0 shocks
Fox steering stabilizer
Duratrac 315/70R17
Rugged Ridge Wheels

Should be up and running in about 2 weeks.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate the feedback and suggestion!
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #25
grangerdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle08JK View Post
I'll let the guys more knowledge help lead you down the path but figured I would throw this in there for you. Northridge4x4 is having a 20% off sale on RockKrawler lifts if you use the code "rockuary". Could save you a couple hundred dollars based on the lifts you are choosing from.
Big help btw, saved me a good bit on the lift!!! Thank you
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #26
Kyle08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grangerdw View Post
Big help btw, saved me a good bit on the lift!!! Thank you
Good deal bud! I'm glad I could help out
Kyle08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #27
xeasternskies
2007 WK 

I've been doing my head in for the past month on this exact same question and same aspects you wanted. I'm very glad you made this thread lol, My initial setup wanted to be a 2.5 AEV, 315/70r17 Duratracs, Aev Savegre wheels. Wanted to add on the bumpers and winch along with it but hearing on the loss of lift and potential rub I made go with the RK 2.5 aswell. Saves me a good amount too compared to the 3.5 AEV.
xeasternskies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #28
grangerdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeasternskies View Post
I've been doing my head in for the past month on this exact same question and same aspects you wanted. I'm very glad you made this thread lol, My initial setup wanted to be a 2.5 AEV, 315/70r17 Duratracs, Aev Savegre wheels. Wanted to add on the bumpers and winch along with it but hearing on the loss of lift and potential rub I made go with the RK 2.5 aswell. Saves me a good amount too compared to the 3.5 AEV.
Glad this helped. Honestly I was torn between the flex and the max travel. After a talk with RK, I decided to go with the flex as the rear arms would have to be swapped out if I tried to upgrade the max travel to the x-factor lift, which
is my end goal.

I will post back once I have this up and running!
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #29
sandfan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle08JK View Post
I'll let the guys more knowledge help lead you down the path but figured I would throw this in there for you. Northridge4x4 is having a 20% off sale on RockKrawler lifts if you use the code "rockuary". Could save you a couple hundred dollars based on the lifts you are choosing from.
I've been flopping back and forth on what kit to go with. Thanks to this post Ive pulled the trigger.

Big thanks to Kyle08JK for coupon hook up. Dude you just saved me $390. I owe you a
sandfan85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #30
Kyle08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfan85 View Post
I've been flopping back and forth on what kit to go with. Thanks to this post Ive pulled the trigger.

Big thanks to Kyle08JK for coupon hook up. Dude you just saved me $390. I owe you a
No problem man. Glad I could help.
Kyle08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.