Almost bought my lift..... UGH help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Almost bought my lift..... UGH help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
grangerdw

Almost bought my lift..... UGH help

Sorry for the long post, but I feel a little lost.

I thought I had done my research and decided on my set up, then a conversation with AEV at the 11th hour has me almost starting over again. I had originally settled on the 2.5" aev, but AEV is telling me this kit is really designed to handle a stockish JKU running 35" tires and if I add front and rear bumpers the lift will drop and I will probably see some rubbing. This talk happened after a lot of research, including other talks with AEV and after I gave a deposit to the shop doing the work. The shop is more then willing to hold off until I make up my mind, but now I feel like I am starting all over.

The shop I am dealing with mods a ton of jeeps and has a good reputation.

My rig:
  • 2014 JKU sport with 3:73 gearing
  • Ace sliders
  • Rubicon rail take offs

Goals:
  • 95% on road though not a daily driver.
  • Will also be driven by my non-wheeling wife who only cares about on road performance
  • Will hit Rausch Creek a couple of times a year, running mostly greens and blues
  • Want to avoid replacing the front driveshaft until I decide to wheel harder/more often
  • Don't want to rub.

Wheels/Tires
  • 315/70R17 Duratrac
  • 17" Rugged Ridge Wheels

Other addons:
  • Teraflex spare carrier
  • Front bumper, probably Metalcloak 1401 or barricade front
  • Rear bumper, probably Metalcloak full or Ace pro series
  • 4 People and camping gear

Input:
AEV is telling me that their springs can not handle the weight on the 2.5" lift and recommends their 3.5"

Former AEV employee/shop employee felt the 2.5" will be fine with no rubbing

Shop guy who is doing the install is pushing the RK X Factor and is not familiar with Metalcloak and is hesitant to do a lift he is not familiar with, not because of install issues but does not know their reliability, customer service, and parts availability.

Me: No frickin' idea, except to say that I really liked what I have seen with Metalcloak but in the end cares more about the goals listed above.

Lift kits I am looking at (grouped by my perceived price):
  • Lowest Cost:
  • 2.5" AEV with brackets

Middle of the road:
  • RK 3.5 Flex with fox shocks and steering kit
  • MC Dual rate with ARB
  • 3.5" AEV

High End:
  • RK X Factor with fox shocks and steering kit
  • MC Duraflex with undetermined shocks
  • MC Game Changer ARB edition

I just bought the jeep and the different options range in price by almost $2K. I would prefer to spend less, but don't want to kick myself down the road if possible. I am not trying to start a brand war here, just looking for suggestions based on everyone's experience.

Please help, I am losing my mind at this point.....

Thanks

grangerdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

I went through the same thing and finally landed on the MC GCL 2.5. My 35s have no issue and I believe I could even put 37s if I add another 1" of bumpstop.

I am happy with my lift but don't know anything about the others so you will have to weigh all responses. Your shop works for you. Pick the lift you want. That said, I installed my own and it was my first.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
CVA19

OP - I have been going back and forth on this for the better part of a month. Basically the exact same questions as you. I was dead set on AEV's 2.5 lift but the more I looked in to it the more I was forced to look at companies like RK and MC. I think when I finally do pull the trigger I'm going with RK.
CVA19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
dustyroads1
2014 JK Wrangler 

Goals:•95% on road though not a daily driver.
•Will also be driven by my non-wheeling wife who only cares about on road performance
•Will hit Rausch Creek a couple of times a year, running mostly greens and blues
•Want to avoid replacing the front driveshaft until I decide to wheel harder/more often
•Don't want to rub.

Same here I work on the pipelines so a lot of road miles but also a lot of offroad some pretty tough.
I went with the Metalcloak 2 1/2" ARB and couldn't be happier, much improved road handling and offroad is awesome.
I had added a LoD full width bumper and a Milemarker winch {200lbs} to the front and was bottoming out on speed bumps, I got 3 1/2" in the front and 4 1/2" in the rear with the 2 1/2" lift because my stock was sagging so bad. I still have 255/70/70 KM2's on but I am gonna go to 35" Duratracks, I have plenty of room, but just a heads up It is like Newton's law there are some things that need to change with any lift, like move the evap can over 2" {easy} or you WILL rip your rear driveshaft boot, otherwise Metalcloak is designed to work with stock drive shafts and add about 8" of wire to the front and rear elocks, wish I would have known You will need to get a wheel with at least 4 1/2" backspace another thread
If you have any questions call and talk to the Matt @ Metalcloak, awesome guy's or pm me I will help if I can
img_3155-640x350-2-.jpg

img_3161-640x480-.jpg

Last edited by dustyroads1; 01-14-2014 at 05:55 PM..
dustyroads1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That AEV 2.5 rides really great on the road. If AEV says it's not made for the weight they are probably right.

Do you already have all of the weight on the Jeep?

Rock Krawler 3.5 is a very tall lift. Pic for reference. The orange Jeep has RK3.5 and 37s. The black is a BDS 3" and 35s. Maroon is RK2.5 and 35s.
image-275664226.jpg

image-3904025248.jpg

Unread 01-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
ncb

I have the AEV 2.5 and with the AEV front bumper and winch the front end only dropped .5". Not sure how it will rub with 35s since it has two inch bump stop extensions.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
Andyjr
2012 JK Wrangler 

You could always check out the AEV forum to see if anyone is having any issues with the 2.5" lift. I remember seeing a thread just on the 2.5" pictures also. I went with the AEV 3.5" but have not installed it yet.
Andyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
grangerdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport View Post
I went through the same thing and finally landed on the MC GCL 2.5. My 35s have no issue and I believe I could even put 37s if I add another 1" of bumpstop.

I am happy with my lift but don't know anything about the others so you will have to weigh all responses. Your shop works for you. Pick the lift you want. That said, I installed my own and it was my first.
Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to do this myself as well, but I don't see me having anytime in the foreseeable future so I guess someone gets to make some $. How long have you been running the lift? I have seen a lot about their offroad performance. Are you happy with it on road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVA19 View Post
OP - I have been going back and forth on this for the better part of a month. Basically the exact same questions as you. I was dead set on AEV's 2.5 lift but the more I looked in to it the more I was forced to look at companies like RK and MC. I think when I finally do pull the trigger I'm going with RK.
Thanks! I centered on the AEV from feedback about on road performance. I don't know a lot about RK, but MC has had good reviews there as well. pretty awesome vid on their website showing their red JK at speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyroads1 View Post
I went with the Metalcloak 2 1/2" ARB and couldn't be happier, much improved road handling and offroad is awesome.
Which lift did you do, the dual rate or the game changer? Did you specify the 2.5" instead of the 3.5" springs? Great looking jeep BTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyroads1 View Post
like move the evap can over 2" {easy} or you WILL rip your rear driveshaft boot, otherwise Metalcloak is designed to work with stock drive shafts and add about 8" of wire to the front and rear elocks, wish I would have known
Great info and thanks. I had not heard about the evap can or the additional wire, good tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
That AEV 2.5 rides really great on the road. If AEV says it's not made for the weight they are probably right. Do you already have all of the weight on the Jeep?
Nice pics, that helps. As for the weight, I have the sliders and rails on it now. The front and rear bumper will not happen for a couple of months, or a year depending on how much this costs me. I want to run 35's for a while and I thought a 2.5" lift was the right height for this. Maybe RK's 2.5" options warrant a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
I have the AEV 2.5 and with the AEV front bumper and winch the front end only dropped .5". Not sure how it will rub with 35s since it has two inch bump stop extensions.
This is what a lot of the feedback I read said. This is why I was surprised by AEV's stance on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyjr View Post
You could always check out the AEV forum to see if anyone is having any issues with the 2.5" lift. I remember seeing a thread just on the 2.5" pictures also. I went with the AEV 3.5" but have not installed it yet.
I started there and read all 127 pages of that thread. If someone is complaining I missed it. Again though, AEV said it would be a problem which is making me rethink a bit.

Thank you all for the feedback and please keep it coming. Still up in the air, but this is a lot of information which I am sure to read and reread tonight. May be suffering from paralysis by analysis but I really want to get this as right as I can.

Unread 01-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
Pic for reference. The orange Jeep has RK3.5 and 37s. The black is a BDS 3" and 35s.
Those are some nice lookin' Jeeps!
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the 2.5 AEV dualsport with a front mid width steel bumper and winch. I, ve logged close to 30,000 miles with it and have 0 issues with it supporting the weight. If you're that concerned about weight there is always the option for using aluminum bumpers but with the wheeling you describe armor front and rear would be mostly cosmetic so why add the weight.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #11
Kyle08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'll let the guys more knowledge help lead you down the path but figured I would throw this in there for you. Northridge4x4 is having a 20% off sale on RockKrawler lifts if you use the code "rockuary". Could save you a couple hundred dollars based on the lifts you are choosing from.
Kyle08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

wait a minute. if it rubs it is because you do not have enough bump stop. has nothing to do with lift. at no point should it rub in flex wheels turned to lock off road.

you set the bump stops to protect the shocks or to a fender clearance issue if that is more. I would chop the fenders before loosing up travel. or get quality ones.
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #13
grangerdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
I have the 2.5 AEV dualsport with a front mid width steel bumper and winch. I, ve logged close to 30,000 miles with it and have 0 issues with it supporting the weight. If you're that concerned about weight there is always the option for using aluminum bumpers but with the wheeling you describe armor front and rear would be mostly cosmetic so why add the weight.
Thank you for the feedback on the 2.5 with some weight on it. Valid point about my needs but while I don't have a real need for the extra weight bumpers will add it does look good and I do want to protect the jeep when I do wheel albeit occasionally
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #14
grangerdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle08JK View Post
I'll let the guys more knowledge help lead you down the path but figured I would throw this in there for you. Northridge4x4 is having a 20% off sale on RockKrawler lifts if you use the code "rockuary". Could save you a couple hundred dollars based on the lifts you are choosing from.
Thank you, I will check it out.
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #15
grangerdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
wait a minute. if it rubs it is because you do not have enough bump stop. has nothing to do with lift. at no point should it rub in flex wheels turned to lock off road.

you set the bump stops to protect the shocks or to a fender clearance issue if that is more. I would chop the fenders before loosing up travel. or get quality ones.
AEV's comments were about total drop of the lift with the added weight. I was sold on their springs because I thought they were rated for the additional weight but according to my conversation earlier today with them that really applies to the 3.5" and up. I guess bumps stops could avoid the rub but would limit the travel to a point that the 2.5 isn't the right choice. Not stating fact, just trying to interept my talk with the manufacturer.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.