all new wrangler threads are in here. - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > all new wrangler threads are in here.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 01-06-2006, 08:06 AM   #91
base shakers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

so they say the track is 5 inches wider. i wonder how much of that is in the body? the flares look pretty wide, so the body may stay the same. that is the one complaint i've heard before, people would love a slightly wider interior to give a little more space...

4-speed Atlas
lots of armor, bunch of other goodies
Baystate Jeepers member
base shakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 08:10 AM   #92
Jeep 2C

Overall I like it, but there are some things that I think would keep me from buying it.

First and foremost would be the higher price due to the excitement and the given first-year production problems.

I also have a few quibs on the design.
1) The front bumper looks about 3" too long on each side
2) The turn signals in the grill are flush while the headlights aren't... I'd like to see the turns sunk and perpendicular to the ground like the headlights.
3) The round turns on the fenders look like crap.
4) Something about the all-plastic fenders seem unfinished.
5) The Jeep logo on the grill doesn't fit the area.
6) It doesn't look like it has as much ground clearance.
7) While it's annoying, I like how high the bottom of the door sits on the TJ... this is much lower and seems to be less aqua-proof.

I really like the higher hood line, the larger tires, the new hardtop (and I personally like the tails). The frame being stouter is good for me, and it seems like all the options we like (removable doors, half doors, softop, real off-road ability) are retained.

It appears that it will be able to satisfy any of us, but it almost seems too good. It looks like it'll be able to cater to our desires while approaching a mainstream level not previously reached.

Most of us will eventually get one if it proves to be more capable than what we have, but if it's also completely practical then more 'regular' people will too.

I'll wait till I can drive one for final judgement, but so far it definately looks like something that after the mid-sales cycle revisions I could look at picking up.
Jeep 2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 08:30 AM   #93
Broklee

why does everyone dislike the power windows?

I thnk it looks alright...I'm not a fan of the round headlights at all but I guess thats what is 'in-style' now. Cant wait for the 4-door version!
Broklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 08:41 AM   #94
acorn

Quote:
You could see the CJ in the YJ and the YJ in the TJ but I'm not seeing much CJ, YJ or TJ here...
I see enough CJ in this thing. Obvious is the turns are back on the grill where they belong on a Jeep (even the YJ got this right). No one has commented on the flat hood but I'm glad to see the TJ humpy-hood is gone.

They've borrowed some great things from other vehicles in the line. The interior has a lot of Commander to it. Those round vents may look goofy to some but they rock for function. And the first time I saw the new Power Wagon in person (I'll never foget it) I made the guy show me the electric discos. That night I prayed to God that DC would put them on a Wrangler someday.

It looks from the pics that the stamped control arms are gone and they've used a round version like the aftermarket TJ stuff.

All in all I like it. But I'm too invested in my '01 ($ and emotionally) to consider a change. Maybe the 4-door for the wife. And now I know where I can get a plug and play set of turn indicators for my TJ when I go flat fender. And I actually like the little round fender lights too. Maybe put those on the hood like Andy from Kansas.
Coming soon: 4.11's - OME HD

Black Jeep Club #105
acorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 08:43 AM   #95
sinkisbusted

Thats one ugly looking jeep. I like the steering wheel though.
sinkisbusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #96
acorn

I like the steering wheel too. I also like the twin sticks. Anybody catch the transfer case shifter sticking up there? Nice old school touch.
Coming soon: 4.11's - OME HD

Black Jeep Club #105
acorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #97
ColoradoTJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Did anyone notice that it has BFG Mud's rather than MTR's?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #60

My Jeep

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane" J.B.
ColoradoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 09:24 AM   #98
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

it reminds me (from the front) of the larger wrangler-type trucks they have in Australia and South America... (with the wider front end)...What are those designated , CJ-10's???

and I agree, not diggin' the black plastic front fenders.

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...

Last edited by JoonHoss; 01-06-2006 at 09:45 AM..
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:20 AM   #99
FXSTCHEWY

2006 LJ Wrangler 

"why does everyone dislike the power windows?"
IMO, it's the whole hardedge of a Jeep turning into ANOTHER soft vehicle, Element, explorer, Trailblazer and so on....soccer mom rides.....IMO that is what is wrong with this country....taking the easy way out, man, people are too lazy to roll up/down a window. One if not the main reason I liked/ bought my Jeep is a lack of "JUNK", Had a 2000 Ford sport "exploder" with all the comforts, power doors, power windows, told you what the outside temp was and so on, after about three years I had problems out of most of that stuff.
add on "junk" IMHO. Chewy
FXSTCHEWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:25 AM   #100
Torquemeister

I have had to replace power window motors 3 times in my 98 Firebird. ($$$)
I will never buy another vehicle with power windows.
To me, it looks like the new Jeep is a "Soccer mom" SUV.
Torquemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #101
exc911ence

Plus, I would think that those doors will be heavy to take off with the power window motors in there.

I definitely don't understand why every vehicle must be dumbed down to cater to Mr and Mrs Mainstream... there are plenty of soft-utes and sport-cutes around for them. Jeep used to brag about being able to hose out the interior after a muddy off road excursion... man, I'd be paranoid drinking a BigGulp in the new Jeep let alone taking a hose to it! Of course, for the quoted "over $30K for an optioned-up Rubicon", I wouldn't let anyone with food anywhere near it!
exc911ence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #102
Breathe_EZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSTCHEWY
IMO, it's the whole hardedge of a Jeep turning into ANOTHER soft vehicle, Element, explorer, Trailblazer and so on....soccer mom rides.....IMO that is what is wrong with this country....taking the easy way out, man, people are too lazy to roll up/down a window. One if not the main reason I liked/ bought my Jeep is a lack of "JUNK", Had a 2000 Ford sport "exploder" with all the comforts, power doors, power windows, told you what the outside temp was and so on, after about three years I had problems out of most of that stuff.
Too lazy to shift gears too. Everyone with a Auto transmission should know that the reason the terrorists were able to sneak up on us is we were all waiting at the service station because our transmissions weren't shifting properly. Autos are un-americian.
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Lime"]Geek Offroad Member #1[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273275"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Sienna Jeep Club Member # 3.14159265[/COLOR][/URL]
Breathe_EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #103
patriot2005

Quote:
IMO, it's the whole hardedge of a Jeep turning into ANOTHER soft vehicle, Element, explorer, Trailblazer and so on....soccer mom rides.....
I guess that's why I think the full size rear seats look silly IMO. With the top off it just looks like a vehicle Disney theme parks would use to ferry people around the resort. My primary concerns are under under the hood - but image is as much a part of the Jeep lifestyle as it is for brands like Harley Davidson. And I don't think it looks bad, just "softer" as FXSTCHEWY points out.
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #104
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exc911ence
Plus, I would think that those doors will be heavy to take off with the power window motors in there.

I definitely don't understand why every vehicle must be dumbed down to cater to Mr and Mrs Mainstream... !
I don't think the little bit of weightof the motors is really going to add that much weight.

You don't understand why they are adding features to a vechicle. They do this so that it increases sales. A hard core no A/C, no top, no door jeeper is a minority. When I first got my YJ I made fun of the guys with hard top and A/C and all those "creature comfots" But what have I done? Hard top, yep, A/C? Just got the system ready to install this spring. I still leave my doors off for most of the spring, summer and fall. Will I when the twins are old enough to ride? No, probably not for safety reasons. I think that DC built a wrangler that suits both worlds and at the same time willincrease sales and guarantee to contiuned popularity of the model. If you look at the pluses that they have added they out weigh the negatives. Longer wheel base, wider wheel base. hard top with removable panels in genious, easier to remove by yourself and easier to store. Everyone freaked out when that came out.

The plastic fenders, the guys that remove thiers anyhow will love the fact that you can take these off without a lot of serios cutting. So for DC to built a wrangler that everyone will be happy with is impossible. It is what it is, if you don't like it just keep what ya got. For them to add power windows who really cares, I have seen some guys on the forum adding power windows to their TJ's and adding heated seats. Not for me but if it suits them, fine. From what I have read the new wrangler is more capable, with a more powerful power plant and it keeps the wrangler "look" and feel.

I think it is unfair to say that this one time I had this pile that I had 35 window regulators in I will never buy that thing it it has power windows. Sounds to me there was something else going on their killing regulators. oh well I like it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #105
opiv
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You are 'splitting hairs' IMO. Should Jeeps still have half seats, no radios, no air conditioning - where do you draw the line. There is nothing wrong with power options as long as it retains excellent offroad capability including a Rubicon model, 44's, solid axles disconnectable swaybar, etc. Power windows are nice for a daily driver. I added them to my TJ 4 years ago and they are still going strong. They should not add much weight since mine weigh less than lb/side. Hopefully they have well-placed disconnects in the wire harnesses or door-jam connectors to make them easily removable. Jeep would be going to far if they added monitors to the headrests but power windows is a great idea. This will also help attract new buyers and help the model continue into the future.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.