Alignment after lift and Camber question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Alignment after lift and Camber question

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

Alignment after lift and Camber question

Had an alignment after lift and noticed my front right camber was -0.7 and front left was -0.4. I realize the spec is around -0.6 to -0.1

With that said, the jeep is new and is this something the dealership would fix under warranty? I haven't done anything to put the camber off. In my mind, they should fix this if it isn't in spec.

Just curious if anyone has had similar and had it repaired.

TIA!

Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
mello

Those camber numbers will not hurt anything however there is no way to adjust camber except with off set ball joints. A lift does not effect camber because it is fixed into your inner C's. how are your tires wearing?
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

Tires seem ok, but I was just saying the jeep has 4k miles. And shouldn't be out of spec already. Seems like the dealer should make it right.
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

You know you cant fix the camber right? Without new ball joints

With the numbers being that close if you take it in again and have them check it you will probably be in spec. All depends on the setup done by the tech.

Same thing for dealer. They will probably keep measuring it untill its in spec because its that close. I dont see your numbers causing any problems.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
mello

If the dealer does alignment and camber is actually 1 degree out of spec on their machine the only way they will fix it is replace the whole front diff housing. They possibly will not do anything at all and if they replace housing it could still be out of spec. If you are running a MT tire and the camber was going to cause an abnormal tire wear you would notice it already.
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
You know you cant fix the camber right? Without new ball joints
Yup, when I said "make it right", I mean put in a new ball joint if necessary. I agree it's close...but just sayin'
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
mello

The dealer would not put in a new ball joint unless its play was out of spec. They would probably put an adjustable one if you supplied the part for them
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
The dealer would not put in a new ball joint unless its play was out of spec.
(-0.7) I thought it was.

one more question, the idividual tow on front left and front right were off (red), and still off after alignment, but the overall tow was well within limits, so was green. I asked about that and the tech said that you can't always get the individual tows within limits and what matters if overall tow is correct. Opinions?
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
mello

You can bring individual toe into spec unless something is wrong with the steering or the tech did not know that you can adjust toe on both sides independent of steering wheel centering. If a ball joint is perfectly good camber can be off due the the inner C's being bent or just off from factory.
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
(-0.7) I thought it was.

one more question, the idividual tow on front left and front right were off (red), and still off after alignment, but the overall tow was well within limits, so was green. I asked about that and the tech said that you can't always get the individual tows within limits and what matters if overall tow is correct. Opinions?
That is a true statement. Due to frame flexation, bushing centers etc etc. Total toe (and cross toe on IFS/IRS suspensions) is the end goal.
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Yup, when I said "make it right", I mean put in a new ball joint if necessary. I agree it's close...but just sayin'
But what I said earlier was true as well. If any shop remeasures it they could easily find that its in spec. There is a tolerance error on alignment machines

Quote:
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

Unread 09-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You can bring individual toe into spec unless something is wrong with the steering or the tech did not know that you can adjust toe on both sides independent of steering wheel centering. If a ball joint is perfectly good camber can be off due the the inner C's being bent or just off from factory.
Can you explain to me how to adjust individual toe? There is one adjusting sleeve on the tie rod. The only thing That might be able to even out those number would be the draglink, but I still dont know how that would fix it.

Quote:

Unread 09-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
mello

There is a tie rod on each side that adjusts toe for its side. The adjustment sleeve on drag link near pitman arm is to center steering. The main thing is to acquire 1/8 toe in then center steering wheel .
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

You're over thinking this. Is there a problem with the way the jeep is driving?

If you want to get real technical, you would adjust the passenger side toe by adjusting the drag link length with the steering wheel centered. Hold the passenger wheel completely still (not going to happen), and adjust the drivers side toe with the one adjustment sleeve on the tie rod.

Since everything moves around under there, you just generally set the overall toe. Then you center the steering wheel. The end result is the same.

The camber is .1 degree out of spec? Can you see .1 degrees? There is going to be a tolerance on the alignment machine as well. Plus the factory ball joints suck, period. You could probably kick/shake the tire around and move the ball joint enough to show it in spec. Don't sweat it.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
There is a tie rod on each side that adjusts toe for its side. The adjustment sleeve on drag link near pitman arm is to center steering. The main thing is to acquire 1/8 toe in then center steering wheel .
But that still only adjusts overall toe, not the toe for each wheel.

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.