Alarm goes off on occasion even with key! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Alarm goes off on occasion even with key!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
RichCapeCod
2009 JK Wrangler 

Alarm goes off on occasion even with key!

Hi. My new to me Jeep 2009 Wrangler (Sahara, got her a few weeks ago with 20,150 miles on her. Sheís a beauty!) has electronic keys (open/close doors, start engine, panic alarm). For whatever reason Iím having two problems, both transient ones;

1-Sometime the battery operated key just will not function. As I stated, itís a transient problem and there are fresh batteries in both of the keys I have (first thing I did was put in new batteries when the issue first was observed). This means that if I locked the car using the key, and then have to use the key to manually (insert in lock) open the door, the alarm goes off (as do the lights) and I can only stop this racket by driving off once the speed hits around ten miles an hour.

2-If I lock the doors by using the lock/unlock button, sometimes (itís a transient problem) the alarm will go off until I start the car.

Beside the fact that this is embarrassing when this takes place, Iím concerned that should I go on a trip and set the alarm off during an early morning getaway, Iíll be annoying folks for no reason.

I live on Cape Cod, in a very safe area (lower Cape) so Iíd have no issue if I could somehow deactivate the alarm system. Or, at least, remove the horn part of the equation. But, after carefully reading the manual, I donít find this as an option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rich
(holding his ears on Cape Cod)

Last edited by RichCapeCod; 06-02-2012 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Add photo
RichCapeCod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

Welcome, I live in the upper Cape. Hope you are staying dry today.

One way is to manually lock the doors. Instead of locking the doors with the key fob, just lock the doors by manually moving the door lock lever inside the door. This will lock the doors but not activate the alarm.

The alarm is probably factory but is the remote starter OEM or aftermarket?

You can always remove the horn fuse, but would have to put it back in for inspections. But with the way the
summer tourists drive here on the Cape, I would leave the fuse in.
Do you have a warrenty on it? When I bought my ZJ back in 96 from person I called Jeep and found out that all I had to do was go to the local dealership and pay $75 for the transfer of remainder of the origional warrenty. I bought it with 25k miles on it and when I went to the dealership to transfer the warrenty, they told me that it was origionally bought with a 75k mile warrenty. I had 50k left instead of the 11k I was expecting. Good thing because I needed it in that Jeep.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
RichCapeCod
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsther View Post
Welcome, I live in the upper Cape. Hope you are staying dry today. ...
Hi.

>>>One way is to manually lock the doors. Instead of locking the doors with the key fob, just lock the doors by manually moving the door lock lever inside the door. This will lock the doors but not activate the alarm.

I've done that. Still goes off on occasion.

>>>The alarm is probably factory but is the remote starter OEM or aftermarket?

OEM.

>>>Do you have a warrenty on it? When I bought my ZJ back in 96 from person I called Jeep and found out that all I had to do was go to the local dealership and pay $75 for the transfer of remainder of the origional warrenty.

I will check on that. Good idea.
Unread 06-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

I don't have a remote starter, but I think I saw some complaints about it when I thought of getting one.
I would check on the warrenty, but in the meen time search this forum about remote starter problems.
Unless the alarm module is bad or loose ground for it, but I think it is all related to the remote starter.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
RichCapeCod
2009 JK Wrangler 

I did a search for alarm problems. Now I'll try one for remote starter issues.

Thanks,

Rich

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.