Airbag Warning Light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Airbag Warning Light

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
rlabbott
2012 WK 

Airbag Warning Light

So.. I have an intermitent Airbag Warning Light stay on in the cluster. On for a day, off for a day. On for a drive, off for next drive. Go to dealer. First they say can't duplicate. Then they go to drive vehicle around front so I can take it home. The light goes off. It's at this point the 'can't duplicate' story loses some of it's luster. They say they want to replace the clockspring. Does that make any sense? Has anyone had an Airbag Warning light issue resolved by a clockspring replacement? I would love to see the fault code that says 'replace clockspring' if airbag warning light staying on. Perhaps a drive to the good dealer an hour from my house will cure this.

rlabbott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
E-CAT
2007 JK Wrangler 

read the manual...

If you place something on the seat that is not all that heavy (like a backpack or purse), the light will come on to tell you that the airbag is off and will not deploy... it recognizes the weight, but also that it's not enough to activate the airbag. A person in the passenger seat will trigger the activation of the airbag.
If you have nothing on the passenger seat and it randomly comes on and off... maybe it just enjoys messing with you.
E-CAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
motor_car
2010 JK Wrangler 

To add to e-cat's post: If the pass seat is far back and the rear seat is folded down and pushing against the back of the pass seat, that may trigger the "pass airbag off" light randomly.
motor_car is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
JeepNorth
2007 JK Wrangler 

I don't think he's talking about the passenger air-bag.

It could be a clockspring. More likely they just want to get in to look at the wiring. If you are getting the airbag light, it's obviously detecting a intermittent problem. I would replace the airbag module first before ripping the steering column apart.

I know it's a fair distance to the dealer. But the next time the fault comes up, take it to the dealer and leave it running to show them.
JeepNorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
JK Unlimited
2007 JK Wrangler 

Had the same issue. Mine was a side air bag senor that went bad.
JK Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
rlabbott
2012 WK 

Reporting back on the fix

The first dealer (very local) I had it at thought it was the clockspring, but then did not have the wheel puller tool required for the 07JK (can you imagine that?)

The good dealer I go to (an hour away) diagnosed it immediately, even though the light was not on when I took it there. They replaced the clockspring!

The lesson: A good service department with honest people who are trying their best means EVERYTHING!

If anyone lives in the South Florida area, and wants to know who the Good Dealer is... I'll be happy to tell you. (My opinion is based on 10 years of owning 5 jeeps in my family by the way. Not a snap judgement.)
rlabbott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.