Air Raid Air Filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Air Raid Air Filter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 12-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
midnight

Air Raid Air Filter

There is an Air Raid performance air filter system for sale locally for $150 ....supposedly adds 30 hp and improved mileage....does anyone have any experience with this air intake system. I am thinking of buying but don't know much about this product. Thanks

midnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
spinlock

I assume you are referring to the cold air intake. 30 HP is a lot of ponies ... If you are have a 3.6L engine I would say it can't do it at any RPM. The current filter has very low flow restriction and the PCM will adjust accordingly in any case.

The 3.8L presents more opportunities because it is poorly tuned in stock form but 30 HP is still a far reach below 3000 RPM where the engine likes to operate efficiently.
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

3.8 a CAI won't do anything but make more noise.
3.6 I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the same thing.

The stock airbox is pretty good. I would save the 200-300 bucks for other mods, but if you want a CAI on your Jeep go for it!
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

i put one one and noticed absolutely nothing. I have sience removed it and would have sold it for dirt cheap also.
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Read the fine print - "Can add 30HP" is aterisked as "typical results" - a very generic statement - yes a CAI CAN add 30HP but think in terms of PERCENTAGE increase - gotta have it there to find to begin with!

A 10% increase on a 300HP engine is 30 HP - on a JK all of 15. Thats IF you aren't already milking all she's got available in the programming - which the JK is. And to get that extra what was given up? Nothing is free. Giving up 5% at 3000 RPM (where you drive) for 10% at 6000 RPM (hardly ever at that RPM) is NOT a good trade off. And again those numbers are IF.
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

All "cold air intakes" or filters on a stick, do absolutely nothing on any vehicle. They are all marketing.

You gain no measureable HP, TQ or MPG. You may FEEL improved throttle response but that is it.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I tried that on a previous TJ that I had and removed it after just two days. I wasn’t sure if it made more horsepower or not, the god-awful noise was all it took for me to switch back to OEM.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKR8R View Post
All "cold air intakes" or filters on a stick, do absolutely nothing on any STOCK ENGINED vehicle. They are all marketing.

You gain no measureable HP, TQ or MPG. You may FEEL improved throttle response but that is it.

-Dan
Corrected that. They DO effect very high flowing fuel burning performance engines. You know RACE cars. On a 1000 CFM engine (about three times the JK's 3.6) a two degree difference in temp can be a 10HP gain when making 700 plus HP before the temp change.

And since they are on race cars where one can easily spend a 1000 per HP and the intake is probably the least expensive part being used - they MUST enhance performance on all engines right? THATS where the marketing comes into play.
Unread 12-29-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
bhuard972
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the Air Raid CAI and the throttle body spacer and I did notice some performance increase. I know a lot of people swear they are useless but I have always used them and well, I also enjoy the way it looks when the hood is open.
bhuard972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
PaXJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

Cold Air Intake is a misnomer in this case. These intakes that everyone speaks of are rather Short Ram Intakes.
The cold air intake is designed in such a manor to get cold air from outside the vehicle and therefore is normally mounted low somewhere in the grill. A true cold air intake could be a disaster waiting to happen on a JK,that sees water crossings.
If one looks at the so called CAI most have installed in the JK, it is mounted within the engine bay, where the air is by no means cold. In addition some of these so called CAI's have a metal tube, which becomes saturated by the heat within the engine bay.
Granted cooler air is denser and provides more oxygen for a stronger combustion when ignited in the motor's cylinders, which in turn provides better mixture of fuel and air for more power and better performance. But again, the air provided from these systems provides NO COLD AIR when mounted within the engine bay.
Like was posted the true cold air intake system mounted on a car with 500+ HP running on the track will provide more HP.
As far as one of these so-called CAI intakes istalled on a JK, will provide virtually nothing but a whistling sound, and sometimes even robs the engine of HP at low RPM's.
PaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Very unlikely that it does much good for mileage, and will maybe help HP only at wide open throttle (if even then).

I was recently reading the results of a government agency test of clogged filters on fuel mileage. Traditional wisdom says they cut gas mileage, but that theory dates back to carburetor days, the actual testing on modern fuel injection showed that even substantially clogged filters reduce HP only a little at full throttle and did nothing negative to gas mileage.

The reason is that 99% of your driving is done with the throttle mostly closed, more or less restriction immediately translates only to a slightly different throttle opening, and the sytem is still supplying the correct amount of fuel for the air coming through.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
PaXJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaXJ View Post
Cold Air Intake is a misnomer in this case. These intakes that everyone speaks of are rather Short Ram Intakes.
The cold air intake is designed in such a manor to get cold air from outside the vehicle and therefore is normally mounted low somewhere in the grill. A true cold air intake could be a disaster waiting to happen on a JK,that sees water crossings.
If one looks at the so called CAI most have installed in the JK, it is mounted within the engine bay, where the air is by no means cold. In addition some of these so called CAI's have a metal tube, which becomes saturated by the heat within the engine bay.
Granted cooler air is denser and provides more oxygen for a stronger combustion when ignited in the motor's cylinders, which in turn provides better mixture of fuel and air for more power and better performance. But again, the air provided from these systems provides NO COLD AIR when mounted within the engine bay.
Like was posted the true cold air intake system mounted on a car with 500+ HP running on the track will provide more HP.
As far as one of these so-called CAI intakes istalled on a JK, will provide virtually nothing but a whistling sound, and sometimes even robs the engine of HP at low RPM's.
Now here's a bit of info on the Short Ram Intake:

The short ram air intake is a form of aftermarket air intake for automobiles with internal combustion engines.

It replaces the OEM air intake with a short metal pipe and a conical air filter inside the engine bay. A significant increase in intake air volume will only occur in an engine where the factory intake piping was designed with baffles and other sound absorbing materials (rubber, etc.).

The term ram, albeit commonly used, is somewhat a misnomer. A true ram air intake device is something that enhances intake pressure or in the case of resonant systems such as Chrysler's Sonaramic, increases the torque with a peak at a certain RPM.

There is still some open debate on this issue, but some believe that a problem with short ram air intakes is that the air entering the intake is at a higher temperature due to the proximity of the engine, which may reduce some power. This may be partially offset by an increase in the volume of air entering the engine. To counter intake heat problems, many short ram intakes include some form of heat shield. Moving the intake inlet port further away from the engine block will also help to alleviate the problem and some users use a cold air intake where the inlet air is at or close to ambient temperature. However, others claim that Short Ram Intakes (SRIs) or similar Warm Air Intakes (WAIs) offer benefits over Cold Air Intakes (CAIs) which include better MPG due to a more complete burning of fuel. Users with forced induction engines often opt for short ram intakes because compressors adjacent to the engine, especially turbochargers, heat the incoming air and negate much of the benefits of a cold air intake. Additional problems can result from using a short ram intake in cars utilizing a mass airflow sensor though most of today's sensors automatically adjust without issue. Turbulence in the intake airflow produced by the filter or piping, or a change in intake diameter at the point where the airflow is measured can produce inaccurate airflow readings. The error in airflow then translates to an error in the amount of added fuel. In the worst case, the air/fuel ratio can run lean, causing detonation and possibly engine failure although the airflow sensor will generally detect and correct the throttle to compensate for the warmer air. This can also be solved by modifying/elongating the intake piping, replacing the airflow meter, or by replacing/remapping the engine control computer to provide the correct amount of fuel for the intake airflow at all engine speeds.

A harmless but noticeable result of using a short ram air intake is an increase in intake noise, which may manifest as a sucking sound, and the loss of any silencing properties that the factory intake had.
PaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Jwmbishop gave a link earlier in this forum to a complete discussion on various types of intakes and how they do and don't work. I will try and find the link if John does not post it first.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.