Air lockers for a JK - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Air lockers for a JK

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 02-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #31
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaines View Post
Arb makes a d30 27 spline for the JK, that's what I have in mine. I bought mine from Rebel offroad. I also went with RCV shafts in the front
How do you like the RCVs?

Black 2011 JKU Rubicon/ 6spd w/5.13 gears/ 5.5" RK X-Factor Mid Arm (3.5") Springs, RRD Shocks/ Poly Inner/Outter Sleeves and C-Gussets/ Reid HD Knuckes/ 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" MB72s/ ACE Flat Fenders/ JCR Front Stubby Stinger, Rear Stubby Bumper and JCR Deluxe Sliders/ Warn 9.5 cti w/Syn line/ OR-Fab Swing Away Tire Carrier w/Fuel Can mounts

Oct 2012/Dec 2013 JKOTM

My work in progress:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...dated-2206865/

Couldn't have done it without Jason@KrawlOff-Road.com!!!
HOKIES2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #32
aggieslaughter
2008 JK Wrangler 

I appreciate everyones advice... I wanted to get back to some of my OP though.

I'm assuming (yes I kow what happens when I assume), that I'll never need 4WD on black top...ever. And with that assumption, Autolockers could be a "viable option". Correct?

Like stated earlier, I have nothing against selectable lockers...they're just not in the budget right now. By the time I run Rubicon trail (Moab, or any other great trails) I'll have the selectable but for now the trails I'm going to run require locking maybe 50% of the time...at best. So I don't want my daily to run like a purpose built rig...just be dependable enough to enjoy it on the very occasional run and have traction that I can rely on. I don't think I would mind the "wratcheting sound" some people get when turning sharp...it's part of the auto locker and I'm okay with that.

With that assumption, and knowing the above, and knowing selectable isn't an option how do people feel about auto lockers? If I'm installing a autolocker do I need to replace the shafts as well? Which ones have people had, replaced, never use again? I'm leaning towards Eaton or Aussie.

Thoughts?
Unread 02-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #33
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieslaughter View Post
Like stated earlier, I have nothing against selectable lockers...they're just not in the budget right now.
It's hard to give good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"

Well, if you're married and have a reasonable income, I'd tell you that one brand is as good as any other. But if you're a football player and you don't want nine alimony payments, I'm going to tell you that a condom is relatively cheap. As such, I'll tell you that it's cheaper to do it right the first time with selectable lockers. But if you want to use Saran Wrap, that's okay too, as long as you're okay paying alimony down the road.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/more-tinkering-thread-than-build-thread-smcutter-1377094/"]More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)[/URL]

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #34
aggieslaughter
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcutter View Post
It's hard to give good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
What's wrong with Saran Wrap?!!?!?!?! Works in a pinch, it's a poormans handyman, and gives you that oh so good feeling!!!

On a more serious note....If I'm going to upgrade to a selectable locker I'm going to upgrade to the D44 in the front. I figure I run the D30 with a cheap locker and when it breaks then upgrade EVERYTHING....that's what I mean by the whole "not in the budget" comment. There's no need to buy a $1200 locker for something that I could potentially break a lot easier than a D44 axle.

Thanks for the good laugh though, my wife doesn't know what she's in for tonight!!
Unread 02-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #35
Prot
Gold Member

2014 JK Wrangler 

Why not just put a selectable locker in the rear for now since the rear axle is the strongest? Also, since this is a daily driver, a selectable locker is more suited for that purpose than an automatic locker.
Unread 02-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #36
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieslaughter View Post
If I'm going to upgrade to a selectable locker I'm going to upgrade to the D44 in the front. I figure I run the D30 with a cheap locker and when it breaks then upgrade EVERYTHING....that's what I mean by the whole "not in the budget" comment.
Maybe a more fundamental question to ask would be, "Why do you feel the need for front lockers?" Given what you've described, I think the money for front lockers would be better spent on a winch (if you don't already have one). The only times I have ever really *needed* my front lockers have been when I'm climbing massive boulders right after a creek crossing and when I'm in deep snow.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/more-tinkering-thread-than-build-thread-smcutter-1377094/"]More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)[/URL]

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #37
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

So, what happens with air lockers if the compressor fails? My compressor is suddenly kaput...I don't have my air locker installed in the rear yet...what if that had happened to my ARB air compressor out on the trail?
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #38
tslewisz
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda13 View Post
So, what happens with air lockers if the compressor fails? My compressor is suddenly kaput...I don't have my air locker installed in the rear yet...what if that had happened to my ARB air compressor out on the trail?
They don't work. Same thing happens if you damage a line.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #39
aggieslaughter
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcutter View Post
Maybe a more fundamental question to ask would be, "Why do you feel the need for front lockers?" Given what you've described, I think the money for front lockers would be better spent on a winch (if you don't already have one). The only times I have ever really *needed* my front lockers have been when I'm climbing massive boulders right after a creek crossing and when I'm in deep snow.
I've always felt that adding lockers to the front would help on the trails I do run. It's nice to know that I won't have to rely on the wench and try the more technical trails that I'm hesitant to do now. I have a wench on the front (the avitar under my name is the Jeep I have) but it's just one of those things that's on my list to add to my Jeep.

I think it stems back to my first Jeep where it was open (such as this one) with out a wench and got stuck on some pretty steep inclines (dry dirt / clay) where the Jeeps that had lockers were going up with no problem. My second had a detroit locker but thanks to a drunk driver that hit me it's now in the scrap yard. And now looking to get a locker again. And lastly once this thing is paid off I can really start the mods and get everything done I want to it.

lol...now that you know my life's stories on Jeeps I hope that answered the question!

Thanks for all the info guys I really do appreciate it!
Unread 02-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #40
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
They don't work. Same thing happens if you damage a line.
I guess more of what I was asking was if they would stay engaged if the compressor fails and I have it on, or does it disengage if the air fails?
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

Unread 02-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #41
tslewisz
2010 JK Wrangler 

If the pressure is lost to the ARB it unlocks.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #42
mhaines
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010

How do you like the RCVs?
Love them, smooth turning while in 4wd
Unread 02-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #43
mhaines
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieslaughter

I have a question about this... well about lockers in general... I'm also looking to lock my front end up and looking at the Auto Lockers (Detroit, Eaton, or Aussie) I do live in PA but I'm about to move to Texas so ice and snow aren't going to be a problem. Here are the questions:

1) Which brand for auto locking is better? Any ones I should stay away from?

2) Do I still have to put new shafts in if I'm installing these types of lockers?

3) Was there a manufaturing change in the JK models that make lockers for the JKU more expensive/different? (Reference to the Next Generation Dana??)

3)If the top two qustions don't apply and I get a selectable locker (i.e. - ARB, etc.) Would it be better to get the factory lockers offered in the Rubi's or go with an aftermarket part?

Stats: I'm running a '08 JKU with the D30 in the front. D44 in the rear with the LSD. I do moderate trail running and limited rock climbing (mostly because I feel like I need more traction up front). It's not my daily driver right now but when I move to Texas it might become it so I don't want something that's going to effect performance on the blacktop (which no locker should if in 2HI...right?) running 305/65/r17 and not looking to go bigger because of the daily driver stand point and gas prices.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!
1) not sure about that one, research product reviews for help with brand.

2)you wouldn't have to put new shafts in as long as the spline count doesn't change, that's more of a "while I'm in here" type of thing

3) jk/JKU or next generation dana's do have differences in them from the prior housings ie: TJ d44 carrier will not work in jk and vice versa

4) with mods to the rear d44, you could put factory rubi locker in, but you will have to get a rubi d44 or prorock 44 front to put rubi front locker in. If you went arb or other aftermarket lockers in, you can use your current housings. I recommend beefing up the front stock d30/d44 tubes and c gussets.

I have: 08 JKU X with d30 front; evo sleeves, c gussets, arb/ 4.88 and rcv shafts.
Rear d44; arb/4.88 and stock shafts.
Coast front DS and stock read DS all on 35-12.5-17 nitto Mudgrapplers and spend a lot of time at Badlands offroad park in Attica, IN
Plus it gets me to work daily
Unread 02-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #44
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
If the pressure is lost to the ARB it unlocks.
OK, now I got you...I didn't want to be out on the trail, have my air fail and not be able to unlock my locker...this makes sense, but all things in life do not make sense...

forum...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.