Air locker compressor, run time? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Air locker compressor, run time?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 12-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Maximous
2010 JK Wrangler 

Air locker compressor, run time?

I recently installed a CKSA12 "Compact onboard air kit" for to provide air to my lockers. I guessing that there are many of these our there. Can someone tell me roughly how long the compressor comes on for when you initially turn it on? Does anyone run a pressure gauge in the vehicle? Is this needed? Do the lockers come unlocked as soon as you hit the switch? Where does the solenoid dump the line pressure when it's switched off?

Thanks in advance.

Maximous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I am assuming you have ARB lockers - if so, they pretty much unlock when shut off AND when there is little or no load holding the dogs together inside the locker. If the air compressor has a minimal amount of storage and an auto shutoff (which it does) then the compressor would normally come on about every 10 to 15 minutes when locked as the air tubing, joints and locker seals do leak a small amount. If the solenoids are screwed into the side of the compress, then it should pretty much stay off when unlocked. I only use my lockers for at most a couple of minutes at a time through the obstacle as needed, then switch off.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Just trying to refresh my memory; doesn’t the ARB lockers require something like 80psi to work correctly?

JK Wrangler dash mount for Cellphones, GPS units, GoPro cameras, Spot devices etc.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Maximous
2010 JK Wrangler 

I do have ARB lockers yes. I am more so wondering how long the compressor should be on initially to come up to the required pressure. I looked at a TJ or a friend of mines and the compressor is the next size ARB up from mine and it came on built pressure and turned off pretty quick. How long should the compressor initially come on for?

Also, can you hear the lockers lock? I can't so far. I can tell when the front is in because of the way it pulls but I can't really tell when the rear is in.

Thanks
Unread 12-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

ARB lockers have a switch and a solenoid. The lockers require no less than 85psi and no more than 105psi. The solenoid will hold the air pressure in the line with the locker actuated until the switch is turned off. The solenoid then opens and releases the locker pressure. As long as the locker switch is on, the soleniod stays closed and the locker stays engaged. That is of course, if there are no leaks in the fittings/lines.

Bob K.
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The pressure should come up almost instantly, and when locked, the compressor should only come on about every 10 to 15 minutes at most.
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
Unread 12-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
Maximous
2010 JK Wrangler 

OK, thanks. I need to have another look at things because my comp stays on for at least a few minutes. The TJ I saw also came up very quick.

Thanks
Unread 12-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Unless you are feeding a storage tank, it should stop pretty quickly. Even a small tank will take a minute or so sometimes. My old arrangement with a 2.5 gallon tank took about 90 seconds...do not use that setup anymore and only for a short time due to some technical and placement issues - finally went with a power tank.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.