Air intake and chip worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Air intake and chip worth it?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
NDHJKUR

Air intake and chip worth it?

Im looking at the jet performance stage 1 chip And at the K&N 77 series performance high flow air intake! Are they worth it??? Anyone had problems with those?? Im talking about the 3.8 And running on 33's And ALL AROUND árb bumpers! Waiting for your replys guys! I appreciate it!

NDHJKUR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDHJKUR View Post
Im looking at the jet performance stage 1 chip And at the K&N 77 series performance high flow air intake! Are they worth it??? Anyone had problems with those?? Im talking about the 3.8 And running on 33's And ALL AROUND árb bumpers! Waiting for your replys guys! I appreciate it!
If you have an automatic....check out the Super Chips Flashpaq....you can find it for around $275...it'll give you a boost via the transmission shift schedule, and allow you to change several other parameters (Octane specific tunes, and CRAWL / TOW tunes, fan speeds, tire sizes, lockers, DTC Codes, etc). Diablo also makes a great tuner, and I've heard good things about Bully Dog.
The K&N filters are high flow, but most complain that they let in too much dirt and are a hydrolocked engine waiting to happen. Many will also point out that CAIs offer little to no benefit over the stock intake. I decided to splurge on an Airaid XMP CAI with the prefilter sock, and am very happy with it. It uses the stock snorkel and the air filter is enclosed in a box...coupled with the prefilter I feel its just as good as the stock for water and dirt, while also a larger air intake. In about a month I've seen about a 1.5 mpg improvement.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDHJKUR View Post
Check this months JP Magazine re performance mods for JK. Most proved to be worthless. You'd be bucks ahead just getting it re-geared.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Contrary to popular belief, the only benefit to a CAI on a JK is the sound it makes - some people like that. Economically speaking, you're better off purchasing $200 of gas cards, you'll actually get mileage out of those.

As far as the chip is concerned, I don't have any experience in that particular type mentioned.

Proper regear is what you want if you'd like to drive your JK around like it had a big set of nuts - Chrysler geared the Wrangler from the factory for economy, not performance. Especially with bigger than stock tires.

SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Also depending on what you're going to do with your Jeep, the CAI can be a potential negative if you plan on doing any water crossings... Save the cash and put on a snorkel, buy power stickers, off road lights, rock rails, fuzzy dice, take your g/f to dinner...there are a thousand ways to better spend that cash.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
WXman
2001 WJ 

Love my CAI. I installed an AFE kit, then sold it and went back to stock. Going back to stock was so painful that one week later I ordered an Airaid kit. It was like the Jeep was breathing through a straw again. Just fell on it's face. Throttle became jerky again. Needed more pedal to achieve the same acceleration. The Airaid kit fixed all that again...this time with the added protection of a fully enclosed air filter box.

The engine response is night and day. Power is much smoother and the Jeep gets up to speed with less throttle. It's noticeable with no dyno necessary. Fuel economy is unchanged. So don't buy it just for gas mileage. But the sound and added power and throttle feeling is worth every penny, plus you never have to buy an air filter again. Ever.

If you think about it, it's a much smarter mod than adding huge tires and lifts...because instead of losing money, you're actually gaining money over time as well as driveability.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.