Air hose fitting placement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Air hose fitting placement

Free shipping on Rugged Ridge XHD bumpersBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-14-2015, 10:52 PM   #1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Air hose fitting placement

I want to run an air hose quick disconect to my bumper. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions?

870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

I brought one into the cab, mounted in tandem with the door limit strap. The other is behind my bumper - bracket at bumper bolt - get a good cap for it, mine was full of crud after the cheap cap fell off unknown. Found a rubber "foot" for a table leg (or cane) that fits tight.
Unread 02-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Bishop,
Any pics of your setup? Is your compressor under the hood? I have my arb under the hood and have been thinking of running some aux access point to other locations but haven't settled on anything yet. Did you run the lines in polytube, or something else?

On my old jeep I had a connector on the bumper but left a capped male fitting in the female to keep it from being plugged with crap.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2015, 06:03 AM   #4
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
Bishop,
Any pics of your setup? Is your compressor under the hood? I have my arb under the hood and have been thinking of running some aux access point to other locations but haven't settled on anything yet. Did you run the lines in polytube, or something else?

On my old jeep I had a connector on the bumper but left a capped male fitting in the female to keep it from being plugged with crap.
No pics handy - and it will be awhile before I can shoot some (this AM I gotta rescue my brother - he got caught in the storm front on his show bike so he's hunkered down 3 hrs from home awaiting me and my trailer - and tomorrow I leave for the Bahamas for a week.... 75 degrees!)

My Viair is under the hood (brake booster bracket mount) with a manifold to the tank (low behind the radiator), from the manifold is my air lines into the cab and under the bumper. I used 1/4 DoT poly air brake line, and the sleeved compression fittings (no push locks - they leak when they get hot). Where I mounted connects - I used a 1/4 pipe bulkhead fitting and some "extra" pieces from other projects (one was a left over trailer plug bracket, one was a bracket from something I dont know) - the ferrule fitting screws into the back of the bulkhead and the quick connect into the front!

Bulkhead

Leaving a fitting chucked with a capped plug like you did works - but the seal and spring in the female side will give up sooner... no big its like a buck to replace it. But I found these and they snap on pretty tight and look cool in place:
rubber "cap"

For work hose - THIS is the cats meow - super light - easy to coil and store (round jumper cable bag storing cables and hose). I shortened it to 25' and used the 75 for shop "leaders" (first 4' of air hose to tool - makes handling drill etc a lot easier - I hate fighting the yellow coil leaders as much as the heavy rubber hose). It says on-line only but our local store stocks it.
Unread 02-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #5
rcsutton
2010 JK Wrangler 

My Viair is under the hood (brake booster bracket mount) with a manifold to the tank (low behind the radiator), from the manifold is my air lines into the cab and under the bumper.

I have the same compressor hook up with out the air tank. How much of a difference does the tank make. Do you have to wait for it to fill up with air before filling tires? Does it fill tires any quicker? Can it run any air tools?
Unread 02-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsutton View Post
My Viair is under the hood (brake booster bracket mount) with a manifold to the tank (low behind the radiator), from the manifold is my air lines into the cab and under the bumper.

I have the same compressor hook up with out the air tank. How much of a difference does the tank make. Do you have to wait for it to fill up with air before filling tires? Does it fill tires any quicker? Can it run any air tools?
It takes the same volume of air to fill your tire whether you have a tank or not. A tank merely holds a reserve. You fill tank pump rests, as you fill tires pump cycles. If a pump runs 5, rests 5 that's a 50% duty cycle. The lighter you duty cycle use the longer the pump lasts.
The pressure drops a bit slower with a tank - line pressure is 145 when I start and 85 by the time I finish.

On my beater impact I can pop 4 lugs without a rest if I hit the trigger right - about a minute gets five. My shop impact gets all five with tank at 60 when done...
Unread 02-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #7
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Possibly getting off topic here but what air impacts are you using? I had an old IR? (not certain model) that stopped working and about the same time I picked up a makita 18v 1/2" impact so I didn't care to replace the air impact.

Now that I have the onboard air I have considered going with a tank and getting another air impact. I want something decent but don't want to spend a fortune either since it won't get a ton of use.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 07:45 AM   #8
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

My good impact is a brunn 60\40 - a gift from the guys when I hung up my racin shoes... 20 years ago this year. I think they paid around 900 for it used and revalved it so "the old guy could control it"...

My beater (the only one I would take or use in a dirty environment) is ordinary Campbell hausefield - well maintained for a gun that gets dragged around by the hose, tossed around and cussed regularly.

A cheap gun oiled at every use will serve better than an expensive one allowed to run dry even once. I have never seen anyone bag gun and oil together and 99 times out of a hundred, I've watched guys pull it out zap thru lugs and toss it back. No oil before or after. Once galled it will eat air faster than it spins lugs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.