Air filters - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Air filters

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-27-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
bassin
2007 JK Wrangler 

Air filters

Which is the most preferred AFE of H&N. I have not run the AFE before but it seems to be the one from reading threads on here.

bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

This is a good read; check out the links posted too.
Advantage of K&N intake system? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
08BlueSahara
2008 JK Wrangler 

OEM Option?

Just another thought - I know this is not what the OP asked, but.....I run the OEM air filter on my Jeep.

I purchased a couple from the dealer parts department, so have them on hand and proof that I've kept up with maintenance according to factory recommendations.

I have a lifetime power train warranty if I do the recommended service which includes using (at least) OEM parts. To me, it's not worth spending any extra $$ on anything else.

That being said - I'm sure there are great aftermarket filters that if analyzed, filter out more particles than a stock filter, so there are legitimate reasons/arguments for aftermarket stuff.

My
08BlueSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
bassin
2007 JK Wrangler 

I hear you I think I will do the same I also have the powertran warr. I think I will try the supership it seem to have good reviews.
bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'm partial to the OE myself right now.
Did you read the links? Very informative reading.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

There was a post recently right here that showed some case studies about oem and aftermarket filters. OEM have proved to trap more dirt and allow more than adequate air flow for the jk. Anything more expensive is a waste of cash. Stick with the 14.00 oem. Oh ya, in my opinion!
Unread 01-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
thebobjeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have experience ONLY with the aFe and the standard paper filters. I replaced the stock paper filters every 3-4k with no real noticeable difference.

At 16k I came back from a road trip and was definitely feeling a lag in skinny pedal, at which point I decided to try an aFe, strictly to save from not buying new filters all the time. The filter taken out looked pretty bad. There was a noticeable difference when I added the new filter though this could just have been due to the old filter being dirty.

I then drove from Denver to Southern New Mexico and around the Gila Wilderness area, adding roughly 2200 miles to the jeep and new filter. After 1200 miles into the trip I could tell it was clogged and had to tap out the dust at a gas station. When I got back from Denver it was filthy, much worse than I've seen any of the paper filters after 3-4K miles. This could have been just from driving through very dusty environments, but the filter cleaned very easily and seems fine now (though I've only put about 200 miles on it since then). I figure where I drive I will have to clean the filter every 1500 to 2500 miles, not bad due to not driving that many miles very often.

This is just my personal experience with it, I chose the aFe after considerable searching, the only thing I don't like about aFe is that they also sell a CAI and exhaust kit for the JK and seem to push the fact that it raises the horses considerably - though this seems to contradict almost every experience of JK owners through many forums. This lowered my opinion of the company all together, but I haven't tried it personally or know anyone who has (other than forum members) so I shouldn't really judge.

Hope it helps. Cheers.
thebobjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

YOu know you will get mainly opinions on any forum with some facts sheding light over the topic.
So I only going to give more opinions.
CAI = COLD AIR INTAKE which USUALLY is an intake that goes to the front bottom area of the engine bay so as to get the COOLER air than which is found in the engine bay typically.
However all of these intakes are really just a different intake or 'ram intake' as some will call.
It is true you COULD hydro lock your engine if you submerge it in water that deep enough or you go too fast in water that is pretty deep. Knowing that you can obviously avoid stuff like that by using your brain, and going slow or heck just not going through it.
So now that I have clear the difference up, I will tell you that I bought a used AFE that a guy couldn't stand the whining sound after 2k miles.
With that said I personaly only like one thing about it. and that is you can clean the air filter. Do I think I have more HP, well my butt dyno isn't tuned to .5 hp so i can't tell you for sure but I don't think so. The only thing I like is when I floor it, the gibson exhaust note in conjunction with the air take does sound pretty mean for a 3.8L.
My main complaint about this so called performance intake has what appears to be a smaller diameter tube then the OEM intake tube. Heck even though about buying a stock intake tube and putting it back on.
muttytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 05:57 AM   #9
AlterEgo
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just run an STP filter because it 'looked' like the thickest one the auto parts store had. When ever I change oil, I'll back blow whatever dust is in the filter out with compressed air. I change the filter every fall.

At 2000 - 3000 RPM, anything but a plastic bag will flow enough air. It's no race car. I don't need that extra 2 HP at 6000 RPM enough to even bother thinking about it. I do want a snorkel though. It gets wet here in Michigan.
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
AlterEgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.