Air Dam Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Air Dam Removal

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 09-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
liquidean
2007 JK Wrangler 

Air Dam Removal

Does anyone know if it is o.k. to cut off that metal bar that is exposed after taking the air dam off? The one that is located about where the bottom of the air dam was. Or is it crucial to the support of the frame?

liquidean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

It's called a COMPATIBILITY BEAM
It doesn't have much structural value beyond its purpose for being there, which is Jeep's requirement to have something there to be more in line with the bumpers of smaller vehicles, to mitigate the Jeep's tendency to climb over low hoods and go through windshields in an accident.

It could be argued that it has some structural value since it is a welded in place cross member. But, the cross frame tube is right behind it, and the bumper's metal core is bolted on just ahead of it.

Last edited by ronjenx; 09-10-2009 at 08:06 PM..
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2009, 04:46 AM   #3
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Go off road for a bit it will fall off on it's own. Why bother taking the metal brace off? Leave it there and don't worry about it.

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

I left the metal brace there. It works great as a poor mans rock guard. Saved my engine probably once or twice. You can't even really see it unless you're looking for it.
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4jkx View Post
I left the metal brace there. It works great as a poor mans rock guard. Saved my engine probably once or twice. You can't even really see it unless you're looking for it.
Good point!
Unread 09-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Any negative impacts from removing this other than the hood bounce getting worse like I've read about. Mine is tie wrapped on in a few spots now, and if it isn't going to cause any major issues, I'd like to rip it off.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Any negative impacts from removing this other than the hood bounce getting worse like I've read about. Mine is tie wrapped on in a few spots now, and if it isn't going to cause any major issues, I'd like to rip it off.
Referring to the plastic air dam?
Removing the plastic air dam may cause hood lift, like you said. It also may reduce the cooling capacity of your raditor, as removing it will raise the air pressure under the hood. Less air will flow through the radiator. This is not a factor, unless you're under enough of a load (towing, for example) to be on the edge of the radiator's ability to provide cooling.

Lots of people have removed theirs without noticing any ill effects.
I took mine off and installed the MOPAR front skid plate. As far as air flow is concerned, it performs like the plastic air dam. It also protects underneath the front of the vehicle, unlike the plastic one.
Unread 09-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Dmrennells
2007 JK Wrangler 

The airdam may help on the highway, but it does little for slower speeds(offroading). i removed it last year. it kept collecting the slush/salt mixture. saw no issues with overheating during summer. if you are afraid of hood-bounce, remove the hood lift assist spring.
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need 'roads'.
Dmrennells is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just ripped of the plastic thing and installed the Skid Row Skid Plate. It was really easy, looks good and my gas mileage is the same and no hood bounce. I wouldnt take the metal bar if I were you. The skid row plate was only 70 bucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.