Age for doorless - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Age for doorless

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
floridaboater

Age for doorless

At what age are you letting your kids sit in the back seat doorless?

floridaboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

I would say 6 is OK, but that IS pushing it and risky. In reality, I wouldn't let a kid under 8 or even 10 sit in the back. If it's a 2dr, then you're fine but I assume you have a 4dr right?
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
newjk
2008 JK Wrangler 

4 door ?

Assuming your not on the trails catching air or on road driving at excessive speed I think it is more of a matter of height and weight as well as how well the seat belts work. your call. From an over protective father.
newjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
floridaboater

Yep - 4 door - Kids are 6 (twin boys) and dad is over protective.
floridaboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
toyota4x405
2007 JK Wrangler 

I had my 2yo & 4yo nephew back there doorless. Both were in car seats and buckled in correctly. I don't see any problem with it. To me, it is pretty much the exact same thing as a convertible with the windows rolled down. Atleast the Jeep has a rollbar (if you really want to call it that), but it works (to a point).
Green Jeep Club Member #254

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Jeep Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTJ View Post
'REAL Jeepers don`t cry about other Jeepers not waving at them!'
toyota4x405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
jake_blue
2008 JK Wrangler 

I think the range in question is more a factor of maturity than strictly numeric age. At a younger age or actually a smaller size, kids in car seats cannot get themselves out of the seat so they are pretty safe without doors anyways. I mean, I've read news articles about absent-minded fathers leaving their infants in car seats on the roof of the car and taking off - and those kids survive IN SPITE of their airborne adventure.

At an older age, kids in seat belts who understand the reason for seat belts won't be inclined to unbuckle or stick limbs out of moving vehicles.

The ages to be concerned about:

A) children old enough or large enough to not be in car seats but not old enough to understand risk and the reasons for seat belts;

B) teenagers who are definitely old enough to know better and do stupid things anyways!
Unread 05-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_blue View Post
B) teenagers who are definitely old enough to know better and do stupid things anyways!
this is just evolutions last ditch effort to protect future generations.
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skivviss View Post
this is just evolutions last ditch effort to protect future generations.
Im still basically a teenager... But I find that hilarious
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
PlaHrd

Mine are 12 & 9, I put tube doors on the back

Last edited by PlaHrd; 06-02-2010 at 12:20 PM..
PlaHrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #10
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Mine are 8 & 6. I'll let them ride back there with tube doors if I'm going a mile down the road (30 mph speed limit) to the ice cream shop or something, but anything further than that, I slide the full doors back on (which takes all of 2 minutes).
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
YellowDuck
2008 JK Wrangler 

I thought this was a going to be a thread about when is someone too OLD to ride around without top and doors....and with their shirt off.

If your man boobs are flapping at 50 mph, or you can feel the wind in your shoulder hair, you probably don't look as cool as you may feel. Definitely put either the doors and top or your shirt back on. Please.
YellowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
Indecis
2010 JK Wrangler 

My daughter is 6 1/2 and I would only take out the front doors...no sense taking any risk, she is having fun anyway withouth the roof
Indecis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
trentonsahara
2008 JK Wrangler 

My kid was in the back with only the element doors (not really doors at all) at age 1 - but he was in the car seat with a 5 point harness and the car seat was in the middle of the bench. Now that I'm expecting another kid in October, I may not be able to go doorless next summer the same way...
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #14
robsbluerub
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDuck View Post
I thought this was a going to be a thread about when is someone too OLD to ride around without top and doors....and with their shirt off.
i thought the same thing when I read the title. I was worried that 46 was too old for no doors. I do wear my shirt and my adult children remind me that I'm not cool. They do agree the jeep is cool.
2007 JK 2dr Rubicon, 3" Black Diamond Lift, 35" KM2s, M/T Classic IIs, Rancho shocks, Mopar bumpers, 8000 lb winch, Ace rock sliders, Skid Row engine/oil pan skid, evap skid, Tom Woods driveshafts, Riddler diff covers, rear adjustable upper control arms, chromoly rear shafts, Reid knuckles, Synergy chromoly tie rod, track bar, and flipped drag link.
robsbluerub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #15
WaldenL
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've got 3 kids (13, 11 and "almost" 9)... I'll let any two ride in the back w/out doors, but if I'm putting all three in back I want doors. I don't have them, but tube doors would count in that case.
[COLOR="#5c0403"][FONT="Arial Black"]I'm Too Lazy to Search For a Red Rock Crystal Pearl Jeep Club Club - Member #1[/FONT][/COLOR]
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.