Aftermarket Bumper Req's Vac Pump Relocation ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Aftermarket Bumper Req's Vac Pump Relocation ?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 02-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Keyboard_Cowboy

Aftermarket Bumper Req's Vac Pump Relocation ?

I just bought a 2013 JK Sport 2dr Billit and will be replacing the OE bumper with an aftermarket plus winch.

I see a few resellers also have a bracket for Vacuum pump bracket.

Is this required on 13' for all bumper replacements or something specific to a venders bumper ?

Thanks in advance !

Keyboard_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
ferninaz
2012 JK Wrangler 

I do not have a 13 I have a 12, dependant on the bumper you will have to relocate it. I accomplished it by taking one screw out and rotating the vacuum pump on the other screw. This may or may not be the best way to do it, but it was free and easy. Relocating it to another part of the Jeep, like under the hood will protect it from damage though, if you are worried about banging it on something. I have a JCR stubby bumper and it does call for relocation. Bumper manufacturers are pretty good about telling you whether or not you have to. Just ask once you decide on a bumper. Good luck, enjoy your new Jeep.
ferninaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

it really depends on the bumper design from the manufacturer. most require a the pump relocation but there are some out there that do not.

i know Hanson doesn't require the pump to be relocated. i just installed one from them an it fit right over it. i think Hyline also has one where the winch mounts on top, so no pump relocation.

more than likely, any of the bumper designs where the winch sits within the bumper, between the frame rails, are going to require that pump to be relocated.

lots of good bumper options out there.
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
cconn
Mud Bogger

2013 JK Wrangler 

The AEV requires the pump to be moved, but they provide the bracket and it only moves a few inches. Easy to do.
2013 Commando Sport. Rock Krawler 2.5" X-Factor lift. 35" MT/R's, 17x9 Pacer black wheels. ProRock 44 front axle. RCV shafts, ARB front and rear lockers. 4.56 gears. Coast 1310 drive shafts. TeraFlex adjustable tire carrier. AEV front bumper. Warn 9.5 CTI winch. TrekArmor seat covers, Spiderweb shade

Build Thread : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/c.../#post15031329
cconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

It's fairly inexpensive, it also gets it up into the engine bay which would seem like a better place for it. This is an ORFab kit.
winch-patterns-007a.jpg  

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

Smittybilt XRC Mod Bumper

I installed a Smittybilt XRC Mod bumper on my 2013 with a X2O 8k winch and did not have to relocate the vac pump. Most bumpers with the winch mount on the top don't need the vac pump relocation. I really wanted a recessed mount for the winch so it wasn't sticking up in front of the grill. I am happy that the Smittybilt bumper has a relief in the winch mounting plate to clear the vac pump. Although, I am not impressed with Smitty's quality but nothing insurmountable.
- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Krazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have been looking at many different front bumpers for my '12 JK as well. Seems that many (or some, depending on your point of view) really just need it to be moved on the bracket and using longer screws (3) and moving how it attaches to the same mounting holes is fine. I do like the ORFab relocation bracket above, though.
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

Smittybilt XRC MOD

I snapped a quick photo of the bumper clearance around the vac pump on the XRC Mod bumper. As you can see, both the winch and bumper provide plenty of clearance for the vac pump. As you can also see, it leaves the pump hanging out and rather unsightly. The factory cover/valence will not fit with the bumper, even if cutting it down for clearance around the winch. I will start by hitting it with some black spray paint or even making a quick cover for the bump itself but I am sure it will eventually get relocated-- it is just a low priority on my to-do list at the moment. It seems as though the vac pump was an after-thought by Jeep and they left it up to an intern to locate it while they were away for martini-lunch and didn't bother to check the drawings.
img_0615.jpg  
- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Krazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
mfikes
2013 JK Wrangler 

Depends on the bumper

I've done 3 brands:
Smittybilt XRC didn't require relocation
Rugged Ridge XHD? The non-aluminum one required relocation.
AEV required relocation.

The Smitty holes didn't line up as well as the others, so the relocation was not the major issue.

The Rugged Ridge took an extra 5 to 10 minutes to relocate.

The AEV was like building an erector set, but the bracket was higher quality. (Still have to grind on it though).

Lesson: Overall bumper quality should be your primary concern. My 13 year old could relocate that thing with proper instruction.
mfikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
TSOffroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyboard_Cowboy View Post
I just bought a 2013 JK Sport 2dr Billit and will be replacing the OE bumper with an aftermarket plus winch.

I see a few resellers also have a bracket for Vacuum pump bracket.

Is this required on 13' for all bumper replacements or something specific to a venders bumper ?

Thanks in advance !

As mentioned above...some do and some dont. As a rule of thumb, if they have a "sunken" winch mount in which the winch drops between the frame rails...then they will require a relocation bracket. We make a sunk and a traditional winch mount "on top" of the bumper and include the relocation bracket with the "sunk" bumpers.
TSOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
Spike6901

The OR-FAB kit is pretty nice and comes with everything you need.

2014: Wrangler#1 Father and oldest Son build and teach project
2016: Wrangler#2 Father and youngest Son build and teach project
Spike6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a LoD stubby on my 2012 - needed a relo-kit - I used one from LoD:

2012 JK Rubicon in Flame Red, ACE Rock Sliders, LoD Stubby Stinger front, LoD Stubby rear,Rock-Krawler 3.5" X factor Pro mid-arm, RCV ultimate front axles, Warn PP HP, 37" KM2s on AEV Savegre wheels, 10 Factory rear axles,MC front Fenders, Reid Knuckles,aFe Cold Air
kosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
Keyboard_Cowboy

Thanks everyone for the feedback and pictures, nice to get informative information and not get rude or slammed for asking !!

This clears up alot and appreciate the info regarding "recessed" and "top mount" winches.

I have a better understanding what to look for !

"No matter who you are or where you come from, all Jeep'rs are friends."
Keyboard_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
67alecto
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the rugged ridge XHD and it came with all of the hardware to relocate it for 2013 models.
TF Leveling kit, Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper, Rugged Ridge 8,500lb winch, Rugged Ridge Dual Tube Bumper (rear), 16x8 Procomp 7069 with 305/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Windshield KC HiLites, ACE Rock Sliders, ARB compressor, Yukon Zip locker (rear)
67alecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
09YellowJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

I know it's a long shot, but anyone know if the Smitty SRC bumper requires it? They aren't answering their Customer Service #...

Bumper should be delivered tomorrow, Jeep should be delivered this weekend

EDIT: Finally got through to the HELP line. The Part # 76723 is a "retrofitted" design from last years design. It does NOT require relocating the pump. The previous version (Part #76722) DOES require relocation of the pump. Just FYI for anyone searching for the same topic I was...

Last edited by 09YellowJK; 08-13-2013 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: Updated INFO
09YellowJK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.