After 2.5" Lift Damage control, question... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > After 2.5" Lift Damage control, question...

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 09-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #31
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctant
Not to thread jack, but I've read this whole thread and believe this audience can answer my related question. Is the teraflex BB a "complete kit"?...meaning does it center the axles, keep the drive line geometry etc? If I buy the teraflex 2.5" BB spacer OR coil lift do I need to install ANYTHING else in a perfect world? Thanks!
Yes the TF BB is the most complete budget kit. The only difference between the TF 2.5" BB and the TF 2.5" spring lift is, one has springs, the other has spacers. All the other parts are the same.
No.. You won't need anything else.

2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #32
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
Yes the TF BB is the most complete budget kit. The only difference between the TF 2.5" BB and the TF 2.5" spring lift is, one has springs, the other has spacers. All the other parts are the same.
No.. You won't need anything else.
Isn't this what we were talking about in the OP? TF has no adjustable track bar. or rear bracket meaning that the same offset will happen.

I'm new to this, but am I wrong here?
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #33
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Key word, "most complete." There is a track bar bracket which will help re-center axle. However, this is a matter of either good enough or being a purist and being better than good enough. Granted, a 2.5 inch lift will only move your axle a bout 1/2 inch front and rear for a total offset of about an inch, the bracket will eliminate half of that offset....good enough for some, not for others. So, you have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky today punk? Well do you?......sorry, got offtrack, you have to answer the question for yourself....is it good enough, or do you want both axles centered?
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #34
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1 View Post
Isn't this what we were talking about in the OP? TF has no adjustable track bar. or rear bracket meaning that the same offset will happen.

Both TF kits have the rear relocation bracket....
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #35
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Both TF kits have the rear relocation bracket....
Not the front though?
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #36
ncb

The BB had/has a drop bracket for the rear frame end track bar mount. It's the wrong way to do it. I think I read TF was going to change the BB to have an axle end TB bracket for the rear.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #37
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Key word, "most complete." There is a track bar bracket which will help re-center axle. However, this is a matter of either good enough or being a purist and being better than good enough. Granted, a 2.5 inch lift will only move your axle a bout 1/2 inch front and rear for a total offset of about an inch, the bracket will eliminate half of that offset....good enough for some, not for others. So, you have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky today punk? Well do you?......sorry, got offtrack, you have to answer the question for yourself....is it good enough, or do you want both axles centered?
I would like to know what needs to be added to get them as centered as possible. Tires are expensive... want to keep em around.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #38
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1

Not the front though?
No. Most front brackets are used in a drag link flip kit and require about three inches of added bump stops.
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #39
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1

I would like to know what needs to be added to get them as centered as possible. Tires are expensive... want to keep em around.
Front adjustable track bar and I'd wait to see how the rear axle is with the bracket. The rear axle end bracket will raise the roll center to improve handling. Some Jeepers don't use a bracket and only run a rear adjustable track bar. What ever brand bracket you get make sure it mounts to the axle with U bolts. If you get a TF track bar the hardware on the clamp is garbage. Replace it with grade 8 hardware. The last one I installed the bolts stripped out following the torque in the instructions.
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #40
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Keep in mind, the same bracket (design wise) I got my @$$ reamed for is included with the 2.5" BB. If you do your research, you will find that it also causes clearance issues. If you notice, teraflex sells the axle mounted, adustable bracket now which is included in some of their higher end kit. Just sayin'.....
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #41
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Not the front though?
No - I was concerned until I put it all together and mine tracks just fine (changes with load and height - but did that even stock).

An adjustable bar does NOT change the bars angle (so no correction to roll center is to be had). On the rear I would use any relocation bracket before using stock points and longer bar! Its not a bad deal to lower the front roll center - as long as the rear center is above - creating a roll axis (plotted line from rear roll center to front roll center) that is lower in front. Going the other way will have a very unstable feel at speed on a high CG vehicle.

The front is a different animal altogether because of the lateral loads created steering at speed. There a VERY heavy duty mount is called for - so I would rather give up the roll center correction and go with an adjustable - if not using the HD weld in style relocation. And relocation up front can get in the way of articulation!
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #42
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks! Good info.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #43
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

In the FWIW catagory, I use a JKS adj front and back. I find mine very stable under highway conditions and off road...but, as JWMBishop says, my roll center is a little off.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #44
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
In the FWIW catagory, I use a JKS adj front and back. I find mine very stable under highway conditions and off road...but, as JWMBishop says, my roll center is a little off.
Just curious if you also use extra mount supports?
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #45
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I've installed many of these TF kits both spring and spacer. In 5 years I have yet to see a TF rear upper trackbar relocation bracket fail, come loose, or damage the factory frame mount. Actually the only trackbar mount that I've seen fail is the one on the rear diff. The benefit of the relocation bracket opposed to just an adjustable trackbar is as already mentioned it retains the roll center by keeping the trackbar at the same angle as factory height as well as recentering the rear axle. As for the front, an adjustable trackbar is not required for 2.5" lift. AAMOF in most cases the steering wheel centering does not even have to be performed indicating the front diff did not shift enough to be a concern. Lifting to 3.5" up front is a different story, thats when something like the AEV front draglink flip kit with relocation bracket is required.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.