After 2.5" Lift Damage control, question... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > After 2.5" Lift Damage control, question...

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #16
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The right rear is usually the same or less when the gas tank is full. What is measurement with full tank? I would not worry about a 1/4 in diff at this point.

"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #17
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
In all honesty thats not a fair judgement. Any lift causes an axle shift. Their rear bracket is only $30. You buy what you need. There are many kits out there that are overkill. Rc lets you build as you go.

This isnt a bash rc thread. I asked a simple question.
And I tend to agree with ya. well except overkill. Maybe overkill for your goals - but not mine for example.

I just strung mine (I use a laser level - takes 2 minutes) - I have right about .5 track offset (didn't run a centerline so thats total - cant say which end is what) when sitting curb level doors and hardtop on. I could take this out with an adjustable front (rear track is raised to level). Except....

Loaded with all my gear (about 475-500 lbs), full of fuel, beer and groceries and trailer ready - -0- (and minis hard top and doors).
I know by how the pit bulls fit in the trailer rails - I have this thing on and off the trailer a lot. And THIS (rock ready) is where I want zero to be.

You are not just buying parts - you are buying what the maker believes to be the best balance between on road and off - which really can conflict - for the target of the build. Just as consumers have different targets so do the makers in reaching which consumer!
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #18
rock-rocker
I Love Wheelin'

2013 JK Wrangler 

I really do not prefer RC myself due to past issues with them when I was building my TJ. If it were me I wouldn't hesitate to get an adjustable track bar for the front and rear. From personal experience I have tried to take a cheap route and it has come back to bite me and I would end up getting the track bars. I have found that when I would install a lift, I would adjust the axles and then as I added more weight to the Jeep (winch, skid plates, carriers, etc.) and/or as the lift sagged I would have to recenter the axles. In addition, on the quest for height I would play with different components or lifts but 2 items I wouldn't have to get are track bars which again saved me some coin. Now I have to be honest with my self and admit that buy the right stuff the first time because I'm only kidding myself that I'll be satisfied with what I have at the time. Patience + $$$$ + planning = $$$$ savings later.
Unread 09-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

So, after my lift I had the steering wheel centered.

Last night i loosened and retightened the CAs and track bars. After retorquing and driving this morning...the steering wheel is off center again. What caused this when I didnt really change anything?
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #20
river2c
2014 JK Wrangler 

The steering wheel adjustment is very sensitive. You may have to adjust it several times to get it centered correctly. Make sure you tighten down the bolts on the adjustment clamp. Also, make sure your tires are on a flat surface and perfectly straight when you make the adjustments. Hope this helps.
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #21
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Let us know how that crappy $30 track bar bracket works. I can't think of how many I've seen that sheared the factory mount because they placed more leverage on it with a similar bracket. Look at how the AEV rear track bar bracket mounts and is attached at many points. Or a synergy or similar weld on bracket.

There is a reason everyone considers rough country junk.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #22
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Let us know how that crappy $30 track bar bracket works. I can't think of how many I've seen that sheared the factory mount because they placed more leverage on it with a similar bracket. Look at how the AEV rear track bar bracket mounts and is attached at many points. Or a synergy or similar weld on bracket.

There is a reason everyone considers rough country junk.
Everyone has opinions, and thats why there are many products on the market. For my needs rough country is great. I installed the bracket today and centered rear axle. Also it does have an additional support that utilizes more than one support point. For $30 im happy. Im not extreme...just occassional trail rides with buddies and lots of hunting in winter. I dont need an extreme rig like you guys. Im satisfied for under $300.

Appreciate the useful feedback from some of you guys! After all thats what the forum is for, not to bash companies or cheaper builds.

This is the only forum ive been on where I ask a question and have my lift kit bashed rather than provide useful information. Is rough country the best out there? Absolutely not. Are they good enough for my needs and budget? Absolutely! I can say that their customer service is outstanding..and ill be a repeat customer as long as their products survive me!
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #23
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

I think I'm gonna go ahead and order the teraflex axle mounted. The more I look at the current one on my jeep, the more I worry about it hitting the shock. It's fine right now, but would feel better later down the road having the teraflex. I'm sure most of you will be VERY happy about this!

Still like my springs!
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #24
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

So question... I am about the order the rock krawler stock mod. Has adjustable front track bar, rear bracket, manual discos, and 2.5" progressive springs. I will also be ordering the synergy chromoly tie rod (adjustable) tie rod bracket and bilstein stabilizer... and synergy ball joints upper and lower (going to take it all apart, might as well beef it up). Going to couple this with Bilstein 5160 fronts and 5100 rears. If tie rod and track bars are adjustable, then should I have what I need to avoid this? Would a rear adjustable track bar be a better option than the bracket?

Unrelated - with a 2.5" should I get any thing for the bumpstops and/or extended brake lines? Trying to do the best research I can before purchasing all of it.

Thanks
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #25
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1 View Post
So question... I am about the order the rock krawler stock mod. Has adjustable front track bar, rear bracket, manual discos, and 2.5" progressive springs. I will also be ordering the synergy chromoly tie rod (adjustable) tie rod bracket and bilstein stabilizer... and synergy ball joints upper and lower (going to take it all apart, might as well beef it up). Going to couple this with Bilstein 5160 fronts and 5100 rears. If tie rod and track bars are adjustable, then should I have what I need to avoid this? Would a rear adjustable track bar be a better option than the bracket?

Unrelated - with a 2.5" should I get any thing for the bumpstops and/or extended brake lines? Trying to do the best research I can before purchasing all of it.

Thanks
What size tires? I'm pretty sure that determines bump stops.

As far as brake extensions, from what I've seen, you definitely need them in the rear. The front wouldn't hurt either.
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #26
YATZI1980
2011 JK Wrangler 

Didn't someone mention theirs hitting the shocks already? $30 wasted. Listen. Nobody is bashing a product. Just trying to get you to not waste money on something that is either going to fail or not give you the results you were looking for. Good luck with whatever you do
YATZI1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #27
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
I think I'm gonna go ahead and order the teraflex axle mounted. The more I look at the current one on my jeep, the more I worry about it hitting the shock. It's fine right now, but would feel better later down the road having the teraflex. I'm sure most of you will be VERY happy about this!

Still like my springs!
Re-read, I said that from how it looks...it's a possibility at full flex. I would feel more comfortable with a different bracket. Honestly it's not any different than the cheaper Teraflex one that comes with their BB kits. I wouldn't like that one either after looking at the way mine fits. But apparently they are just as comfortable with theirs as Rough Country.

You are right, I did lose $30, but I'm sure a replacement shock, or several, are more $$$ than that.

BTW, thanks for jumping on the bandwagon also.

Seriously, I do appreciate the input, guess how it was presented wasn't quite in a helpful manner. I purchased the trackbar before I was aware of potential issues.
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #28
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1
So question... I am about the order the rock krawler stock mod. Has adjustable front track bar, rear bracket, manual discos, and 2.5" progressive springs. I will also be ordering the synergy chromoly tie rod (adjustable) tie rod bracket and bilstein stabilizer... and synergy ball joints upper and lower (going to take it all apart, might as well beef it up). Going to couple this with Bilstein 5160 fronts and 5100 rears. If tie rod and track bars are adjustable, then should I have what I need to avoid this? Would a rear adjustable track bar be a better option than the bracket? Unrelated - with a 2.5" should I get any thing for the bumpstops and/or extended brake lines? Trying to do the best research I can before purchasing all of it. Thanks
Sounds like you're really piecing it together, any reason you aren't buying a full and complete kit? You should also be installing bump stops (shock length will determine the length), brake lines or brackets. Why are you mixing the front and rear shocks? If you don't need 5160s on one end you don't need them at all. And you should be installing either adjustable control arms or brackets up front.

You could run an adjustable track bar but an axle side bracket also raises the roll center and improves handling. As long as you don't buy a junk bracket that will break the factory mount off.

Next thing, why aren't you starting your own thread for this question?
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #29
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Sounds like you're really piecing it together, any reason you aren't buying a full and complete kit? You should also be installing bump stops (shock length will determine the length), brake lines or brackets. Why are you mixing the front and rear shocks? If you don't need 5160s on one end you don't need them at all. And you should be installing either adjustable control arms or brackets up front.

You could run an adjustable track bar but an axle side bracket also raises the roll center and improves handling. As long as you don't buy a junk bracket that will break the factory mount off.

Next thing, why aren't you starting your own thread for this question?
This is intro lift. 33.5" toyo mt. I have been told to not replace control arms til you have to. The JK arms are fine until they get beat up, and have heard about rubbing issues with after market. I have good back space with my MT Classic IIs, but dont want to hit that til I have to. The aftermarket arms are expensive.

Rock Krawler describes the bracket with the kit as "bomb proof". Hope that means what I think it means. With the bumps, should I get extensions or new air bumps? What the difference. Intro like I said, but dont want any premature failure anywhere.

I have had this jeep 5 years and have progressively been replacing as needed or breaks. It's the mentality that you need to have a ****ty car before you can appreciate a nice one.

The reservoirs are because I am going with manual disconnects in the front but not doing any thing in the rear yet as far as that goes. The shocks won't be put through their paces as much in the back, yet will be better than stock, and I need new shocks with a lift. I plan on beating the piss out of this thing as it used to be my daily but no longer.

Total budget for shocks and lift I wanted to be roughly $2k installed. I have never bought a lift and wanted to start very basic (not puck basic... but basic). The reservoirs are the only splurge, and I think they look great, and will run cooler, extending life. Am I off here? Didnt want to start my own thread because I searched and there were already 9 million threads about 2.5" lifts. off center axles I hadnt come across to this point in research.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #30
Reluctant
2013 JK Wrangler 

Not to thread jack, but I've read this whole thread and believe this audience can answer my related question. Is the teraflex BB a "complete kit"?...meaning does it center the axles, keep the drive line geometry etc? If I buy the teraflex 2.5" BB spacer OR coil lift do I need to install ANYTHING else in a perfect world? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.