After 2.5" Lift Damage control, question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > After 2.5" Lift Damage control, question...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

After 2.5" Lift Damage control, question...

Ok, installed a Rough Country 2.5" spring lift the other night. Seems my rear axle is offset maybe 3/4" (towards passenger side) and the front is off about same towards drivers side. I've been trying to research because I see various opinions on the front axle offset. For the rear, I plan to order the rough country bracket, problem solved. Sure you can order an adjustable track bar for front, but here's my question:

Is it unusual for the front to shift that much for a 2.5" spring lift? I have read several forums that state your front might move 1/4" max. I don't really see that because you are raising the vehicle probably 3" in front. Just wanted a sanity check to see if that sounds like a crazy number for mine to be offset.

* I went 100% by instructions, nothing is out of ordinary.

Insane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
starscream
1981 CJ5 

Can't comment on a spring lift, but I have the 2.5" Teraflex BB spacer and the front axle didn't move at all. I didn't have to recenter my steering wheel either.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Ok, installed a Rough Country 2.5" spring lift the other night. Seems my rear axle is offset maybe 3/4" (towards passenger side) and the front is off about same towards drivers side. I've been trying to research because I see various opinions on the front axle offset. For the rear, I plan to order the rough country bracket, problem solved. Sure you can order an adjustable track bar for front, but here's my question:

Is it unusual for the front to shift that much for a 2.5" spring lift? I have read several forums that state your front might move 1/4" max. I don't really see that because you are raising the vehicle probably 3" in front. Just wanted a sanity check to see if that sounds like a crazy number for mine to be offset.

* I went 100% by instructions, nothing is out of ordinary.
the front axle will shift to driver and it will depend on how much actual lift height you got from the kit. actual lift height can vary depending your vehicle weight and the springs you had before the lift, etc. I would say this is in the normal range but I would bet you gained a little more than 2.5''s. if it was me, i would just go ahead and order an adjustable front track bar and set it properly to center the axle, recenter the steering wheel and be done with it. I would stay away from front track bar drop brackets as you would be adding stress to an already week frame side mount.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
jimk403
2009 JK Wrangler 

Our rear axle moved as well as the front. In the rear I used the RC tracbar bracket. It interferes with shock travel so removed it and now use a Teraflex axle bracket.
In the front we have a JKS adjutable tracbar, and I did have to center the steering.
Every vehicle will be different.
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
maybe 3/4"
Run a string down the side and measure ... and to learn further - lift the jeep by the frame 2" and restring. You can now remeasure track offset and plot the result of the track bars making their arc through suspension travel (the lift changes the static point in everything) - and have the exact length those ACA should be adjusted to... but ACAs (and even an ATB) do NOT change the arc - they only change the radius! To change the arc you need to change its linear relativity to level (center or end mount point).

2.5 lift on my Rubi gave me about an inch track offset while setting level. If 3/4 per end you have 1.5" - that does seem high (but if it handles okay doable)... but if 3/4 total you are in range. Adding length to track bar would take the offset out at static - but through travel the CHANGES to track are happening faster ie hit a bump and the axle moves over more and faster than at stock height.

On the springs they MAY level out with the ACA - but if not just keep in mind the outer edge of the spring points to the direction of misalignment. Just like playin with slinky!
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

Update, did my best measuring job and got:

.5" offset in front (roughly)

.75" offset in rear (roughly)

I ordered the RC rear track bracket to bring me under .5" for rear axle.

I was told by rough country, it will probably settle to around .25" offset in both front and rear (this is with rear track bar bracket). Apparently factory specs have a .5" tolerance, so it's still within spec. Just looks worse with bigger tires that stick out more than stock!
Unread 08-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

"Apparently factory specs have a .5" tolerance," Can you advise where this came from? I personally would want it spot on so that I do not have funny tire wear or drive like a crab down the street, but that is just me. To say you get no shifting of axle like starscream stated is impossible...unless it was off to begin with and the lift brought it back on...geometrically if you raise it, it shifts...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
"Apparently factory specs have a .5" tolerance," Can you advise where this came from? I personally would want it spot on so that I do not have funny tire wear or drive like a crab down the street, but that is just me. To say you get no shifting of axle like starscream stated is impossible...unless it was off to begin with and the lift brought it back on...geometrically if you raise it, it shifts...
Rough country told me this
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Well.....I wouldn't believe a damn thing RC told me....just my NSHO....their stuff is JK junk as far as I am concerned...your experience may be different.
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Well.....I wouldn't believe a damn thing RC told me....just my NSHO....their stuff is JK junk as far as I am concerned...your experience may be different.
No issues so far and happy with their customer service. Just was asking about axle shifts from others experiences.

I believe them until proven otherwise.
Unread 08-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane

No issues so far and happy with their customer service. Just was asking about axle shifts from others experiences.

I believe them until proven otherwise.
You have just found one of the main reasons a RC kit is cheap. They are incomplete
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post

You have just found one of the main reasons a RC kit is cheap. They are incomplete
In all honesty thats not a fair judgement. Any lift causes an axle shift. Their rear bracket is only $30. You buy what you need. There are many kits out there that are overkill. Rc lets you build as you go.

This isnt a bash rc thread. I asked a simple question.
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

In answer to your simple question, any lift will cause axle shift in proportion to lift height. I have an approx 3.2 in lift with an axle shift of about 1/2 in each direction until I corrected it. Second, their reputation is tarnished by telling you, and you subsequently spreading it via this forum, that 1/2 inch offset it spec. It is simply untrue and they told you this so you could feel good about them. Third, the RC kit is a cheap and incomplete kit in many opinions. This forum is repleat with threads of those that get into a cheap and incomplete lift kit and then come on asking about the problems caused. We are only trying to help people out ahead of them starting down a rough (country) road...and....in your own words, you are seeking help with DAMAGE CONTROL after the fact.
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
In answer to your simple question, any lift will cause axle shift in proportion to lift height. I have an approx 3.2 in lift with an axle shift of about 1/2 in each direction until I corrected it. Second, their reputation is tarnished by telling you, and you subsequently spreading it via this forum, that 1/2 inch offset it spec. It is simply untrue and they told you this so you could feel good about them. Third, the RC kit is a cheap and incomplete kit in many opinions. This forum is repleat with threads of those that get into a cheap and incomplete lift kit and then come on asking about the problems caused. We are only trying to help people out ahead of them starting down a rough (country) road...and....in your own words, you are seeking help with DAMAGE CONTROL after the fact.
Fair enough, I respect your opinions and plan to put in rear bracket and adjustable front. I am pleased so far with springs. I knew before buying the kit that I would need a few more items, hence I paid less initially.

As far as what they told me, I merely repeated it for validity...not preach it as gospel. Was not spreading rumor. I do not know this to be true. I was stating what I was told.

The title was more in jest, not stating that their lift destroyed my vehicle.

Thanks for help. I was also told to drive for a month or two before adjusting as springs will settle. I made a few measurements tonight and the right rear is .25" higher than left. Is this a rediculous number or neglidgeable?
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Try for level ground and measure again. There is no tolerance for height, they should be the same.

After dealing with the JK world for 5 years and installing many lifts I can tell you with full confidence that unless a 2.5" lift, whether spring or spacer, comes with rear Trackbar relocation bracket, bumpstop extensions, extended swaybar links, and rear brake line relocation bracket it is not a complete and safe 2.5" kit. By the time you purchase these separately you will pay more then If you got the complete kit originally.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.