aFe CAI....4mpg gain?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > aFe CAI....4mpg gain??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 06-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #16
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

such a scam. Cold air? its getting the same air the stock gets. I would love to see how much "colder" the air is. Since they all get it from the same freeking spot IN the motor bay. If they are metal that holds the heat MORE than plastic and soaks it.

You can not put headers on a Pentatick. It has NO exhaust manifolds. There is a casted exhaust flange that is part of the heads its all one part.

Unread 06-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor
Actually Chrysler sells one. Has Mopar right on it. I just googled it. They can't put it on from the factory because it's too noisy.

AirRaid sells a "sock" to put on their filter to help keep water and mud off.

I've had good luck with the cai I have on my Ram Hemi. The dealership put it on for me. I think it makes a little more hp in the middle of the rpm range, but not much on top. I honestly think I picked up aprox 1 mpg on the highway. The 4 mpg increase claim, seems like a bit much. It looks kind of cool. Sounds really cool. It was worth the $295.

I won't be putting one on the Jeep any time soon, tho. That 3.6 makes more than enough power. Factory stock and warranted is more important in this application.

Buy one and report back.
Mopar also sells chrome door handles for the jeep. Mopar=expensive crap.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #18
NIUPonyBoy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
I am not a lover or hater of cai set up but I did run one for awhile on my jk and it did give a noticeable boost in mpg. That being said Chrysler would not put one on from factory for the added noise it makes. I liked the noise but the majority of the public would be turned off. It is amazing what the factory does to decrease noise in vehicles, even at the expense of overall design. Ride, comfort, and noise are more important than mpg to the public. I have been a professional tech for 15 years and I know there are more a/c, ride, and noise complaints than mpg complaints. The few that do complain of mpg only do it when gas takes a big hike.
Somehow I think MOPAR would add a sound break or baffle to gain 3-4MPG in over all mileage.

CAFE isn't getting any easier or infused with common sense any time soon.
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
Fellows
2011 WK 

It's funny how much work Chrysler did to squeeze an 8 speed in the Grand Cherokee to gain 3 mpg when all they had to do was add CAI.....

I never really understood CAI. The air isn't any colder than stock, it's just a bigger hole with an oiled element good for maybe a 10th in the 1/4 mile. If I were racing I'd probably just remove the filter altogether. For a Jeep I just want to keep as much funk out of the engine as possible.
Fellows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #20
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

A lot of people call any aftermarket intake a CAI. A real CAI will generally put the filter low, usually right behind the bumper in front of the wheel so it actually pulls air from outside rather than next to the engine bay. A short ram just puts the filter in the engine bay and might include a little heat barrier that may or may not do anything at all. A short ram will almost never improve performance (but can sound good!) and a low-mounted filter in a Jeep just strikes me as asking for trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya View Post

If you want more practical air intake and have it look cool with a bit more practicality get a snorkel. It Sits high and away from engine bay. The front of a jeep isn't really designed to force air into an intake. A snorkel would force it a little more. But don't expect better MPG or HP.
The vacuum created by the engine outflows any "forcing" action you'll get on these vehicles. That 90s Trans Am Ram Air hood looked awesome, but you'd need to be well above street speeds for any actual ram effect. I want to say it was in the high 90mph range, but it's been so long my mind might be throwing numbers out there.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #21
Fellows
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio
A lot of people call any aftermarket intake a CAI. A real CAI will generally put the filter low, usually right behind the bumper in front of the wheel so it actually pulls air from outside rather than next to the engine bay. A short ram just puts the filter in the engine bay and might include a little heat barrier that may or may not do anything at all. A short ram will almost never improve performance (but can sound good!) and a low-mounted filter in a Jeep just strikes me as asking for trouble.

The vacuum created by the engine outflows any "forcing" action you'll get on these vehicles. That 90s Trans Am Ram Air hood looked awesome, but you'd need to be well above street speeds for any actual ram effect. I want to say it was in the high 90mph range, but it's been so long my mind might be throwing numbers out there.
Lol, I used to tell people RAM air is the same concept as driving down the street with a vacuum cleaner hose pointed out the window and thinking it pressurizes the hose. The biggest benefits the Trans Am got was the short simple intake that didn't wrap around the radiator. Corvettes have this set up stock, yet first thing many Corvette owners do is yank it out and replace it with one that's longer with more bends in it.
Fellows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

A CAI intake makes your engine more susceptible to hydro lock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.