aFe CAI....4mpg gain?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > aFe CAI....4mpg gain??

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
chris79
2014 JK Wrangler 

aFe CAI....4mpg gain??

So....I know everyone rolls their eyes over CAI's on here including me because I had one on my 08 and it did very little except sound cool. Anyway, I was in a 4wheel parts store today and asked about the aFe's on the 2012's & 13's and the guy said he and his buddies run them on the 3.6 and they blow K&N away (they sold K&N too so it wasn't like he was pushing his product), and that they've been getting about a 4MPG gain with them and a 12hp/14tq gain which I found very hard to believe. Anyone on here with firsthand experience with these and what have you seen???

chris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

If you want one just buy one! This will just be the same thread we've seen a hundred times before! People will always try to justify their purchase. I get enough cold air in the winter here, doesn't seem to help the engine at all haha...
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
ThatWhiteJeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I recommend Banks Ram Air Intake. It kicks ***.
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

you don't believe what the sles guy told you do you? if it were true it would be on there from the factory.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

I agree with Pentastarguy, do you really think they would have passed on almost a 25% increase in fuel economy?
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

If true, Chrysler should fire every automotive engineer they employ for incompetence.

Until I see real scientific testing that conclusively proves the marketing claims, I don't believe them. I have seen too much bench racing in my day.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Either that or email Chrysler and tell them they're doing it all wrong.

Salesman: "Yeah, it's really good" ($$$) "Increases mileage" ($$$$$) "You'll be happy you did" ($$$$$) "I've got one in my Jeep at home!" ($$$$)
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:39 AM   #9
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I have one, it helped top end for interstate travel but otherwise is not worth anything. I'll be removing mine when the time comes and returning to a modified stock box and a snorkel

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

As stayed chrysler would have done this. Every thing that comes on a factory vehicle is better. Better in the sense that its made to run as is with optimal performance. It's tuned to run the way it is. Intake, fuel ignition, exhaust etc... When you start upgrading or changing stuff it usually has limitless impact or a negative impact because a link in the chain is changed out.

To get better performance you'd need better fuel ignition system. High flow headers, cats and exhaust and run a high octane fuel that your engine will use up. Not burn up. If you plan on wheeling your jeep all you're doing is increasing the hole and volume in which water can enter. If you take a good look at the factory air box it's actually well designed. Not optimal for high performance but optimal for the overall setup and performance of what the vehicle is.

In order to get all you can out of it you need to change way more than just a intake. That's like adding an exhaust. I'm not against it. I've added exhaust to all my vehicles and its purely for noise. Only cat backs and I know it didn't add HP or torque. Although some people think it does.

If you want more practical air intake and have it look cool with a bit more practicality get a snorkel. It Sits high and away from engine bay. The front of a jeep isn't really designed to force air into an intake. A snorkel would force it a little more. But don't expect better MPG or HP.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
mello

I am not a lover or hater of cai set up but I did run one for awhile on my jk and it did give a noticeable boost in mpg. That being said Chrysler would not put one on from factory for the added noise it makes. I liked the noise but the majority of the public would be turned off. It is amazing what the factory does to decrease noise in vehicles, even at the expense of overall design. Ride, comfort, and noise are more important than mpg to the public. I have been a professional tech for 15 years and I know there are more a/c, ride, and noise complaints than mpg complaints. The few that do complain of mpg only do it when gas takes a big hike.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
chris79
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJeeper View Post
If you want one just buy one! This will just be the same thread we've seen a hundred times before! People will always try to justify their purchase. I get enough cold air in the winter here, doesn't seem to help the engine at all haha...
Easy guy, this forum is to help others not be snippy. I asked a simple question to the community and if you don't like that don't log on.
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
chris79
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I have one, it helped top end for interstate travel but otherwise is not worth anything. I'll be removing mine when the time comes and returning to a modified stock box and a snorkel
Thanks for an actual useful response!!
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris79 View Post

Easy guy, this forum is to help others not be snippy. I asked a simple question to the community and if you don't like that don't log on.
Well, I gave you a simple answer, sorry if that offended you. Cold air intakes are a total love/hate thing. I don't buy the idea, but if you do go for it. As said before if they were that much of a boost Chrysler would have put one in, I'm sure they could probably even make a quiet one if they wanted to.
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Actually Chrysler sells one. Has Mopar right on it. I just googled it. They can't put it on from the factory because it's too noisy.

AirRaid sells a "sock" to put on their filter to help keep water and mud off.

I've had good luck with the cai I have on my Ram Hemi. The dealership put it on for me. I think it makes a little more hp in the middle of the rpm range, but not much on top. I honestly think I picked up aprox 1 mpg on the highway. The 4 mpg increase claim, seems like a bit much. It looks kind of cool. Sounds really cool. It was worth the $295.

I won't be putting one on the Jeep any time soon, tho. That 3.6 makes more than enough power. Factory stock and warranted is more important in this application.

Buy one and report back.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.