AEV. Worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > AEV. Worth it?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
petercaldwell

AEV. Worth it?

I am going to purchase an 09 Sahara. Newbie, first jeep. Street driving only. I want to lift to allow 35". I was told Nth degree would be a good option. I got a proposal from them for 13k. That includes lift, wheels/tires, front bumper, new heat reduction hood, corner guards, heated seats, recalibration and labor. Does this price seem reasonable? How much does a typical 3" lift cost installed? How about installed wheels and tires? thank you.

petercaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
ian0341fo
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The whole package might be worth it, to send it to them and come back with a turn-key Jeep, but most people build their Jeeps over time and do most of the work themselves. Just personal preference I think. If I had that kind of money to blow, I might do it...
Unread 03-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
ian0341fo
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Oh, just saw street driving only. No, not worth it. You don't need to spend 13K for a mall crawler. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16300_603.htm
Get that. For wheels, consider another $1,500 mounted and balanced. Ball park.
Unread 03-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
qpcs
2008 JK Wrangler 

That is a lot of cheddar to spend all at one time if you are going to be using it mainly for street driving.

A budget boost will clear the 35's and look good. You can get one for $300 bucks or even less. Installation is very simple. You could find a fellow jeeper that would do it for a six pack and some conversation. If you had to, a mechanic would do it for probably 3 or 4 hours of labor.

Wheels and tires, hmm. It all depends on what you are looking for. You could go to Discount Tire and get 5 soft 8's and 5 BFG all terrains installed for probably around $1800. I say all terrains because you will be street driving and they still look pretty sharp. Price increases quite a bit more the flashier you go with the wheels.

Heated seats are nice, but the heater in a JK is one thing that does not really need an aftermarket for. If you do want them, I have no idea what the cost is on them.

Recalibration-you can buy a new procal unit for less than $150 and actually be able to recalibrate everything on your own any time you want.

As far as the hood and corner guards go, You could get them ordered and have a local shop paint them to match and install them yourself with a little help. Hood goes for around 700 and corner guards are less than that.

All in all, if those are the actual items that you want and you want them installed professionally, then it is probably about right. However, you could shave a whole lot off of that total by doing one thing at a time and have some fun doing it at the same time. It all depends on how much free time you have vs. the size of your wallet.
qpcs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2009, 04:32 AM   #5
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

AEV is for the demanding off-roader, somebody who needs a reliable expedition-ready Jeep. People feel it is "worth it" because they can ill afford the time and hassle of sorting out build details nor the worry of future problems with a self-build.
Buying an AEV conversion and subjecting it to mall duty is akin to buying a Porsche and never driving it faster than 55 mph. Some people thing that's worth it too.

You question makes many of us sad...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2009, 04:47 AM   #6
DarnBig
2012 JK Wrangler 

Heated seat kits are 200 bucks from Quadratec.

Her New Ride: 2012 4 door Rubi in Dozer Yellow/Orange - Stock for now.
DarnBig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2009, 06:15 AM   #7
dsy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarnBig View Post
Heated seat kits are 200 bucks from Quadratec.
But when AEV talks about heated seats they are under nice leather also.
Decent seat heaters run about 300 for the pair for a diy install.
Flame red unlimited Rubicon 5 speed 5-45RFE Auto , 35" KM2's, RCV front axles, 3 1/2" AEV premium lift, AEV snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant,Full River Raider Alum skids, Marchal E-Code Lamps, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer, 09 Mygig w/ipod interface, Katzkin leather, ya its got a Hemi :-)http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/little-upgrade-607325/
dsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2009, 06:40 AM   #8
johnh

AEV wheels
johnh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
toyota4x405
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have been looking at some seat heaters for my Unlimited and found someone selling a set of 4 on eBay for like 150. That way I can do the front and back since I always have 3 other people with me. Also, I know Quadratec has an upgrade package you can get but I don't know about installation. There are 3 packages to get and each 1 is a step up from the previous one. Let me see if I can find a link.
Green Jeep Club Member #254

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Jeep Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTJ View Post
'REAL Jeepers don`t cry about other Jeepers not waving at them!'
toyota4x405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #10
je1330
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Very. Build it and wheel it man!

-- jason
je1330 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
AEV is for the demanding off-roader, somebody who needs a reliable expedition-ready Jeep. People feel it is "worth it" because they can ill afford the time and hassle of sorting out build details nor the worry of future problems with a self-build.
Buying an AEV conversion and subjecting it to mall duty is akin to buying a Porsche and never driving it faster than 55 mph. Some people thing that's worth it too.

I think he has it right. If you never plan to do more than gravel roads then a simple 2.5" kit from someone like Teraflex will run you about $260 a fit those 35" tires just fine.

The AEV route with be one bad motha Jeep but if you don't take it off road then that $13k was spent on some serious parts designed for whoppin off road.
Unread 03-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
ctown67
2007 JK Wrangler 

it's your jeep do what you want, it sounds like you want it done and don't want to lay a wrench on it. therefore, you chose all quality stuff in a package, so go for it. you will have a strong resale with that kind of quality.

i am jealous of the jeeper that buys it off you, they are going to get a great jeep that had never been beaten on.

on the other hand the person who ends up with mine will have a mess on their hands.
List of stock parts that have been eviscerated.

power steering pump, tie rod, front left knuckle, horn, weld on rear track bar, rear track bar bracket, both rear fenders, front passenger fender, punctured spare tire, rear bar pins, steering stabilizer shock, front drivers side shock, spare tire carrier.
ctown67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

AEV producs rock. Whether you are going to wheel it or not, that will give you an awesome looking rig that you won't see on every street corner. I have the hood and the front bumper and absolutely love them. GREAT quality, great look, and if (when) you decide to do some offroading, the Nth Degree lift will serve you well.

If you can afford it and want a killer looking JK, do it. You'll love it.

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #14
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm actually with Bricktop on this. Heck, my AEV hood was just a ridiculously expensive way to not have to cut a hole in my stock hood for the snorkel.

There is a guy at Microsoft who has a fully decked out Rubi from AEV. EVERYTHING on it is pristine - doubt it ever sees dirt - but sure is dang nice to look at. And down the road, someone is going to get some serious parts for a song with no abuse at all.
Unread 03-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #15
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

get the hemi too. i'll give you my address for when you're tired of it.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.