AEV wheels... a trunk-load of questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > AEV wheels... a trunk-load of questions...

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
TwinsJeep

AEV wheels... a trunk-load of questions...

Oh the sleepless nites caused by the soul-tormenting debate over wheels and tires...

AEV's website shows a teaser photo of their new 17" beadlock wheel in argent.

Quadratec.com has the AEV Bridger for sale, non-beadlock, but only in a 16 x 8" argent.

First question: Does anybody know if AEV's 17" non-beadlock wheel (alluded to but not shown on their website) is the same as the 16" Bridger as shown on quadratec.com, but 1" larger? The wheels appear different, but I don't know if the appearance of the beadlock wheel has been slightly altered to accommodate the beadlock or if it is the case that the non-beadlock 17" wheel will look just as the beadlock wheel but without the beadlock???

When my Black Sahara Unlimited arrives one day in the not-too-distant future (my dealer tells me February...), I will be putting a small lift on it to accommodate the 33" BFG A/T K/Os or Goodyear Silent Armors. (FYI, based on various user/expert reviews, both of these choices seem to offer a suitably aggressive appearance and very good all-round all-weather all-condition performance without giving up too much in the on-road manners department... feel free to comment here.)

I understand that a shorter sidewall yields on-road gains in quickness in steering response and better lateral stability... which leads to my next question: other than on-road performance is there a good reason to go with a 17 x 8" wheel versus a 16 x 8" wheel?

Any opinions on the durability/longevity of argent vs. silver finish?

And finally, can anyone comment on the quality of AEV wheels?

Thanks for your help.
Adam

TwinsJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2007, 01:33 AM   #2
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

a 17" wheel may give you a little better on road response, but you won't be able to get the sidewall bulge off-road you could with a 16". Also, with proper tire pressure, i'm not even sure if it would handle all that much better.
i really dig the color...i'm going to rattle-can mine like that when it comes in, but i don't know if i can justify $200 (or $180) on something that i am going to tear up pretty badly...and pretty much constantly.
i've never heard anyone complain about AEV. but i've never met an offroader that could justify buying their stuff, when there is so much we have to do...
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

If you are above a 33" tires 17's are fine off-raod. When air down you still get enough tire flex... just like someone on 15's and 31's...

Tire selection should not be too much of a problem at either rim size for a 33" tire. But I would check on that first as it may factor in...

Get whatever you think will look better. It sounds price is not much of an object.

Also get the BFG AT's over the goodyears.
Unread 01-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
TwinsJeep

And BlaineWasHere gets the award for the best avatar...

Thanks for the opinion on the BFG over the Goodyear...
Unread 01-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
46hemi

I have the argents on tall 33's and they look awesome. I love them and would highly recomend them. I do imagine the finish wont get along well with rock rash but they do look sweeeeeet!
Unread 01-04-2007, 10:20 PM   #6
TwinsJeep

46hemi, can you please post some pix??? I'd really like to see how they look. Much appreciated, thx.
Unread 01-05-2007, 02:12 AM   #7
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsJeep
And BlaineWasHere gets the award for the best avatar...

Thanks for the opinion on the BFG over the Goodyear...
HA! If that WJ was gray in color Iíd start asking my wife questions. Nice pic though.

2x on their BFG A/T tires. Great on and off road performance.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #8
bigwrm

Im loving those beadlocks. Those are what im thinking of ordering. I jsut dont know what to do for rubber. The one 4 door JK at that sema show that had those rims was nice, but id like meatier meats I think.

Those rims and that AEV bumper. They shall be mine, oh yes..... they shall be.....

Actually I would just settle for my RUBICON TO GET HERE ALREADY. Security guards at the train yard are gonna start wondering.

Thats the one im talking about. Love the rims, but the tires no so much.
bigwrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2007, 10:36 AM   #9
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwrm
Im loving those beadlocks. Those are what im thinking of ordering. I jsut dont know what to do for rubber. The one 4 door JK at that sema show that had those rims was nice, but id like meatier meats I think.

Those rims and that AEV bumper. They shall be mine, oh yes..... they shall be.....

Actually I would just settle for my RUBICON TO GET HERE ALREADY. Security guards at the train yard are gonna start wondering.

Thats the one im talking about. Love the rims, but the tires no so much.
Hmm, Iím not much of a beadlock lover, to tell you the truth I really hate the look of them. But those beadlocked AEV rims on that JK do look nice how ever. I personally would have mounted BFG M/T on the thing. Much more of an aggressive look than those.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2007, 11:21 PM   #10
tacjeep99

Quote:
Oh the sleepless nites caused by the soul-tormenting debate over wheels and tires...

AEV's website shows a teaser photo of their new 17" beadlock wheel in argent.

Quadratec.com has the AEV Bridger for sale, non-beadlock, but only in a 16 x 8" argent.

First question: Does anybody know if AEV's 17" non-beadlock wheel (alluded to but not shown on their website) is the same as the 16" Bridger as shown on quadratec.com, but 1" larger? The wheels appear different, but I don't know if the appearance of the beadlock wheel has been slightly altered to accommodate the beadlock or if it is the case that the non-beadlock 17" wheel will look just as the beadlock wheel but without the beadlock???

When my Black Sahara Unlimited arrives one day in the not-too-distant future (my dealer tells me February...), I will be putting a small lift on it to accommodate the 33" BFG A/T K/Os or Goodyear Silent Armors. (FYI, based on various user/expert reviews, both of these choices seem to offer a suitably aggressive appearance and very good all-round all-weather all-condition performance without giving up too much in the on-road manners department... feel free to comment here.)

I understand that a shorter sidewall yields on-road gains in quickness in steering response and better lateral stability... which leads to my next question: other than on-road performance is there a good reason to go with a 17 x 8" wheel versus a 16 x 8" wheel?

Any opinions on the durability/longevity of argent vs. silver finish?

And finally, can anyone comment on the quality of AEV wheels?

Thanks for your help.
Adam
In answer to question 1, I emailed AEV and their 17" non beadlock wheel has the same basic look as their 17" beadlock. I have seen some pictures somewhere of both styles and the difference in looks is the beadlock. It is not the same rime as the Bridger 16", similar in appearance but there is a noticable difference.

Also, I was told by AEV that the 17" wheels would be available sometime after the first of the year. I asked if they were going to continue making the 16" Bridger, and the response indicated the 17" wheel was going to replace the 16" Bridger, (probably when the current inventory is gone is my guess), but they didn't really give me any solid information on that.

When I talked to Quadratec, they told me they had plenty of 16" Bridgers in stock in the Argent but had not gotten any of the new 17" style. I ordered 5 of the Argent Bridgers, they arrived about a week ago, now I will start Tire Shopping.

On road handling between a 16x8 and 17x8, I don't think there is a whole lot of difference, it is probably just more of a preference thing. FWIW I would have stayed with 15" but BFG doesn't make a 33x11.50 in the 15" size but they do in the 16" size, 285x75x16. So the size of tire I wanted, kinda tall and narrow dictated my rim choice more than anything.

As far as the Silver vs Argent finish, my opinion is, the finish is the same stuff except one has argent coloring and the other has silver coloring.

While I haven't got tires mounted yet, I have inspected the rims and they appear to be very well made. They are shipped in individual boxes, the appearance side of the rim is covered with styrofoam sheeting and a nylon band is snugly fitted over the styrofoam sheeting to ensure the appearance side is very well protected. The yellow AEV center caps are a little cause for concern since they are glued onto generic plastic wheel centers. The center caps are not glued down all the way around the edges. I did push down on the edges and the edges did stick, but I think super glue may come into play at some point.

Again the quality is top notch, but while inspecting the rims I did find one that had what appeared to be a very small scratch that must have occurred during manufacturing because the powdercoat covered it. It was on the bead lip. I don't think it is worth trying to send it back for another rim, based on how small it is, and I am kind of picky anyway.

Another comment is the 16" Bridger bolt pattern will fit only the first two generation Wranglers, 87-95, and 97 to 06. The bolt pattern on the JK is different, and I would say that with you getting a JK, if you want AEV wheels, you are locked into the new 17" style. The only way around this would be if they come out with adapters that would enable you to use the earlier Wrangler bolt pattern AEVS on your JK. I am sure there will be adapters out at some point, probably already being made if the truth known. Also the Bridgers have had a price increase recently of about 20-30 dollars per rim I think.

Hope this helps.
tacjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2007, 11:42 PM   #11
TwinsJeep

Absolutely that helps! Thanks so much for your legwork on this.

I'm still debating... I've spoken with a number of different local (Calgary) tire shops. Some have said that putting the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO 285/65R18 (33") on the optional Sahara 18 x 7.5" wide wheel is no problem; others have said that they wouldn't recommend putting that tire on anything less than an 8" wide wheel.

I'd sure like to get a definitive answer on this.
Unread 01-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #12
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Absolutely that helps! Thanks so much for your legwork on this.

I'm still debating... I've spoken with a number of different local (Calgary) tire shops. Some have said that putting the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO 285/65R18 (33") on the optional Sahara 18 x 7.5" wide wheel is no problem; others have said that they wouldn't recommend putting that tire on anything less than an 8" wide wheel.

I'd sure like to get a definitive answer on this.
You CAN run that tire on a 7.5" wide wheel... should not be a problem at all...
Unread 01-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #13
tacjeep99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
You CAN run that tire on a 7.5" wide wheel... should not be a problem at all...
In fact in the newest issue of 4WD and Sport Utility (I think) they put a 33" tall tire on a 17x7.5 rim with no problem, A half inch under the recommendation is not all that much really, you'll probably just have a little more sidewall bulge is all.
Unread 01-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #14
tacjeep99

One other comment I will make about AEV based on personal experience.

Everything they make is well made, top quality. However their customer service is spotty at best. There have been other comments about when ordering items directly from AEV it takes FOREVER for delivery. I know I ordered an item directly from them and it took almost a month to receive. I tried emailing them, no response, calling them, got an answering machine "we'll call you back", never happened.

Finally I got lucky one day and evidently caught them in close proximity to their phones. They were pleasant to deal with and gave me an estimated shipping date and information on why the item had not been shipped, they were honest.

My advice is if you buy AEV products, go through a reliable vendor such as Quadratec and be secure in the thought that Quadratec can be contacted the first time, every time, thus bringing a quick resolution to whatever the question may be. Leave the AEV contact headaches for the vendor to deal with instead of you.Truth be known, Quadratec probably has direct contact number for AEV that AEV employees will answer every time.

Going directly through them can be done, but in my opinion, they don't support their mail order/ecommerce business aspect as well as they should. I think they are more focused on getting turnkey AEV Jeeps out the door, and the direct purchase of their items is a secondary concern. Which is sad, considering most Jeepers cannot afford a turnkey AEV Jeep, but most Jeep owners can afford to purchase AEV components such as wheels, LED Center High Mounted Brake Lights, high clearance fenders, hoods, etc. I would think they would want to pay closer attention to the aspect of their product line that has the bigger consumer group.

All this being said, I am extremely pleased with every AEV product I have purchased. I just know going in, customer service may not be up to the level of other vendors.
Unread 01-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #15
mbrown2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacjeep99
When I talked to Quadratec, they told me they had plenty of 16" Bridgers in stock in the Argent but had not gotten any of the new 17" style. I ordered 5 of the Argent Bridgers, they arrived about a week ago, now I will start Tire Shopping.

Another comment is the 16" Bridger bolt pattern will fit only the first two generation Wranglers, 87-95, and 97 to 06. The bolt pattern on the JK is different, and I would say that with you getting a JK, if you want AEV wheels, you are locked into the new 17" style.
Hope this helps.
I just ordered 5 16" Bridger's from AEV for the JK. They are making both three, 17" Beadlock, 17 Non Beadlock, and 16" Bridger all to fit the new JK. Should start shipping by end of month.
mbrown2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.