AEV or Rancho Lift??? Trying to decide - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > AEV or Rancho Lift??? Trying to decide

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 04-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #16
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin6137 View Post
Wait, wait let me get this straight you bought a rough country lift kit and your satisfied so far. How can this be possible? Guess you and I must be the only two that got good lift kits from them.
You guys arenít the only ones but rather the few who dare to speak out in fear of ridicule; glad you did.

1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
bill9274
2011 JK Wrangler 

image-3238604590.jpg

Bill
bill9274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #18
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

No ridicule from me but there seems to be some butthurtedness lol going on in this thread. I've learned from experience with cheap kits (ProComp and Skyjacker on previous JKs) and have had to chase problems due to the way these cheap kits address the issues lifts create. Also, ive had a friend chase Death Wobble in a RC lifted 4dr.

As I mentioned earlier in this post, it's a bad idea to use a front track bar bracket. The frame side front track bar mount and the stock track bar are well known weak points in JKs. Why would u use a bracket which causes additional leverage to be placed on the already weak mount which will also have to handle the additional weight of larger tires?? Bad design as they only addressed recentering the axle with the bracket and not the strength of the weak track bar and mount. I wouldn't buy a kit that addressed the track bar issue in that manor. Death Wobble is crazy unsafe and once you experience it, you'll know what I mean. There was a thread about this exact issue recently where the guy was chasing DW bad and the result was the weak front track bar bracket.

Also, 3.5 inches is a ton of lift which will pull the rear axle forward if you don't use longer rear LCAs. That's why in the pic, you can see that the rear tire sits forward of center in the wheel well. The higher you lift, the more issues you need to address to do it properly which cheap kits usually don't. How different companies manufacture and design their products to address the issues is what's important as well as the quality of those parts. Other issues a 3.5" kit create that need to be addressed just to name name a few is exhaust making contact, driveshaft angles, brake lines, rear track bar strength, centering both front and rear axles, etc. There are different ways to address each issue and I look for a company that addresses the concerns the best.

IMO, I like buying from companies that make products only for Jeeps and not other makes and models. This way, all the R&D of the products is Jeep specific and not just thrown together to be sold for a profit as that's what I feel companies like ProComp, RC, and SkyJacker do.

Lastly, I'm certainly not trying to ridicule, just express my opinion that came from experience in hopes others may learn first the easy way.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy18
No ridicule from me but there seems to be some butthurtedness lol going on in this thread. I've learned from experience with cheap kits (ProComp and Skyjacker on previous JKs) and have had to chase problems due to the way these cheap kits address the issues lifts create. Also, ive had a friend chase Death Wobble in a RC lifted 4dr.

As I mentioned earlier in this post, it's a bad idea to use a front track bar bracket. The frame side front track bar mount and the stock track bar are well known weak points in JKs. Why would u use a bracket which causes additional leverage to be placed on the already weak mount which will also have to handle the additional weight of larger tires?? Bad design as they only addressed recentering the axle with the bracket and not the strength of the weak track bar and mount. I wouldn't buy a kit that addressed the track bar issue in that manor. Death Wobble is crazy unsafe and once you experience it, you'll know what I mean. There was a thread about this exact issue recently where the guy was chasing DW bad and the result was the weak front track bar bracket.

Also, 3.5 inches is a ton of lift which will pull the rear axle forward if you don't use longer rear LCAs. That's why in the pic, you can see that the rear tire sits forward of center in the wheel well. The higher you lift, the more issues you need to address to do it properly which cheap kits usually don't. How different companies manufacture and design their products to address the issues is what's important as well as the quality of those parts. Other issues a 3.5" kit create that need to be addressed just to name name a few is exhaust making contact, driveshaft angles, brake lines, rear track bar strength, centering both front and rear axles, etc. There are different ways to address each issue and I look for a company that addresses the concerns the best.

IMO, I like buying from companies that make products only for Jeeps and not other makes and models. This way, all the R&D of the products is Jeep specific and not just thrown together to be sold for a profit as that's what I feel companies like ProComp, RC, and SkyJacker do.

Lastly, I'm certainly not trying to ridicule, just express my opinion that came from experience in hopes others may learn first the easy way.
I agree with most of this. Granted the AEV 2.5" lift is pretty basic, but that's kind of a good thing. It's upgradable. The springs and shocks are amazing. AEV is a jeep specific company that tunes their springs and shocks in a way that nobody else does.
I have the 3.5" AEV lift which is compete, but sometimes I wish I would have gone with the 2.5" kit, and upgraded control arms (romken?) and track bars (synergy) rather than all of the brackets with the 3.5" lift.
brianjw is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.