AEV Procal needed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > AEV Procal needed?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 08-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Gumby1
2014 JK Wrangler 

AEV Procal needed?

So im swapping from 255/75/17's to 285/70/17's is it worth it to buy a AEV Procal? Its on a 2014 Sport S (Automatic). The difference in tire size is fairly small and wondering if it will make a big difference. Superchips wont have anything for the 2013-2014 for at least 6 months as per the email i just got back from them. I do however want my shift points as close to factory as possible but not sure if it would make a difference. Thanks!

Gumby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

IMO, I would say not worth it unless you plan to do bigger tires down the road. The tires are not even an inch apart in size and will not change your speedo much for ex with new tires and no flash speedo reads 60mph you will be actually going about 61mph. As far as shift points I would think you wont notice. Unless you really like the other features of the procal (day run lights, tire psi, blinker adjustment)...

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
kernsy
2012 JK Wrangler 

I gotta watch this thread, I went to a 285/75/16 so in the same boat. By GPS I'm off about 2.5mph at 60, no big shake there, but the shifting in my automatic seems a bit erratic.
kernsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

My take on this is that you pay an arm and leg for your Jeep, start to mod it and then contemplate on wimping out for a $150 tool that will make things right. It (ProCal) also does much more than just make corrections in shift points.

Well worth the investment in my opinion.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
AEVBrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
My take on this is that you pay an arm and leg for your Jeep, start to mod it and then contemplate on wimping out for a $150 tool that will make things right. It (ProCal) also does much more than just make corrections in shift points.

Well worth the investment in my opinion.
procal and ecometer are hands down two absolute required essentials.

Procal has a lot of great features, I like the one that allows the motor to high idle while operating the winch, low tire pressure threashold is awesome, center the steering option, and clear the error codes if you have the misfortune of getting an alignment guy that doesn't know what he is doing.

ecometer if you change tire size or gearing will let you know where the sweet spot is for fuel economy.
AEVBrute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Yup itís definitely a cool tool to have. Small enough to put it in the glove box or center console and have trouble finding it.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

I went from stock to 35's and yes it was worth it but with that said, I didn't get one for over 1-1/2 years. For accurate speed I relied on my windshield mounted GPS. I also got used to the low tire pressure light being on. I ended up getting Superchips Flashcal over the Procal and think you will find waiting a few months will be no big deal and worth it.

My Wife's Jeep - 2007 Grand Cherokee - only mod - K&N Cold Air Intake system
SilverStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
2003Sahara
2013 JK Wrangler 

I agree you spent alot of money for your jeep buy the procal and put your speedo right and your shift points back correctly for your auto. And yes it does some other cool features worth the money spent.
ORJ4x4.com
2003Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
wingit

I love my procal. Some of the best mod money I have spent.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/wingit/wrangler][IMG]http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/204189.png[/IMG][/URL]
wingit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
kernsy
2012 JK Wrangler 

For the record, I have no experience with the AEV Procal so I have no direct comparison. I ended up purchasing the Flashcal from Quadratec for $144 shipped. Only reason for me was the screen scroll vs. the dip switches, and the screen scroll menu is idiot proof, I proved it last night.

Yes, you do need to spend about 10 minutes checking for updates online before plugging it in, painless. Once you plug it in within minutes depending how in depth you want to get, you are done. I did before and after with GPS, got spot on where I was 2-3 mph off. Shift points, well in my head they seem a bit more crisp again but I just plunked down $144 so I'm sure I was looking for that improvement. I need more seat time to really know if it made a difference there. All the other options I'll be playing with down the line.

All in all, I would give the Flashcal a thumbs up. I'm sure if I bought the Procal I would say the same thing, for the same amount of jack it just "looks like" you get more from the Flashcal.
kernsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

deleted. Just realized he was talking about 2014 not 2013.
Turbineguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
burntpeak
2014 JK Wrangler 

Same Boat

I just got a 2014 auto 3.73 I'm getting 35s soon Looking at the pro cal any one have this set up? If so how's it working? And never heard of the ecometer how does that play in?
burntpeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Procal is worth it. Do it.
Unread 09-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #15
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Procal ,flashcal, there are many tuners that offer the same rwsults. Almost anyof them are worth the investment. U will be able to tell a difference no matter what tire size u switch to. If u cant feel the diffrence...ur transmission will thank u later down the road. Other than making ur mph correct it also sets the ahift points in ur tranny to match ur tire size. Worth it.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.