AEV Bumpers on stock Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > AEV Bumpers on stock Rubicon

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
Erpie
2015 JK Wrangler 

AEV Bumpers on stock Rubicon

Hello everybody,

i have ordered a 2015 Rubicon 2 doors, now i have to wait until December to have it and i'm looking for bumpers to replace the stock one (the EU version have an horrible front bumper).

I like the AEV set of bumpers, but are heavy and i'm not sure if i will need a lift to compensate the hight loss.
MY project is to change the bumpers and wait until the warranty will decade to lift and change week and tires.
The AEV tubeless front bumper weight is 82 lbs and the rear one (without tire carrier) is 56, on the AEV site they say is not mandatory to lift if you install a front bumper with tube and winch (200lbs in total) but they do not say anything for the combo front and rear.
What do you think about?

I made a search on forum but not found answer, i know probably the question was already made but i was not able to find the discussion.

Erpie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
TexanTJ
Uncensored & Honest

2014 JK Wrangler 

Congrats on your new purchase!

Here's what I would do when you get your Jeep(and I'm serious and not joking):

1)Measure your jeeps height from ground to lip of fender flare, front and back.
2) Place object of approx 50-60lbs in rear of Jeep.
3) Befriend someone who weighs approx 200lbs and have them sit on your front bumper.
4) Remeasure heaights to see what your projected losses will be.

TexanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Your Jeep will be fine. AEV bumpers were used on the COD:MW3 and Moab editions and the body height difference between them and the stock plastic bumpers are negligible.
Unread 09-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Erpie
2015 JK Wrangler 

Thank's for reply guys, i will look for info on COD/Moab edition to check the height and if those version mount different suspension system.
Texan, i understand what you mean but is not easy to do it untill i have the Jk on December, the Wrangler is not a common car here in Italy and find someone with a rubicon to test is hard. It was difficult to seen one on dealers too, they tend to have only one to show and then they take orders and usually the sample is a sport or a sahara.
The point is to check if everything will be fine to place order for bumpers to be sure to have it when the JK arrive. Then after bumpers change i have to homologate the JK, so i want to be ready to minimize the worktime.
Unread 09-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTJ View Post
3) Befriend someone who weighs approx 200lbs and have them sit on your front bumper.
thats a good one!

If all your friends are skinny like me - just measure drop at THEIR weight and do the math.

(if 100 lbs drops an inch - two hundred would drop two. If your ballast buddy weighs 150 and it drops an inch - 200 would would drop 1.3)

And dont laugh - this is exactly how I know where to put the Jeep on the trailer for 20% tongue weight... measuring the ball at ride and then again loaded knowing 250 (my ballast buddy's weight) will drop the back 1 inches - I shoot for 2.5 on a 7000lb gross weight. Move jeep FWD to get more drop (higher tongue %) - back to get less.
Unread 09-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erpie
Thank's for reply guys, i will look for info on COD/Moab edition to check the height and if those version mount different suspension system. Texan, i understand what you mean but is not easy to do it untill i have the Jk on December, the Wrangler is not a common car here in Italy and find someone with a rubicon to test is hard. It was difficult to seen one on dealers too, they tend to have only one to show and then they take orders and usually the sample is a sport or a sahara. The point is to check if everything will be fine to place order for bumpers to be sure to have it when the JK arrive. Then after bumpers change i have to homologate the JK, so i want to be ready to minimize the worktime.
The suspension height is nearly the same on all 4WD JKs. The JKs that had the AEV bumpers from the factory will have higher part number coils to compensate for the weight. You can replace the coils with the taller stock coils or add small coil spacers.
image-212262105.jpg

image-2565147966.jpg

ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
ncb

I know the stock bumpers are on the lighter side, but if you subtract the stock bumper weight from the AEV bumpers you're not adding as much weight as you think.

Now on the front if you add the winch plate and winch of course it will get some sag.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

I had the Euro/Aust spec front bumper.....I added a steel bumper with hoop and a winch. I dropped about 10mm. My stock springs had already sagged about 10mm before I changed anything.......your stock springs will sag from their designed ride height. My JK 2 door was 12 months old at this stage.
LeighP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2014, 04:44 AM   #9
Erpie
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
I know the stock bumpers are on the lighter side, but if you subtract the stock bumper weight from the AEV bumpers you're not adding as much weight as you think.

Now on the front if you add the winch plate and winch of course it will get some sag.
Thank you for the info, the stock bumper should be 26-28 lbs (is what i found on web) the AEV tubeless front bumper without a winch is 82 that mean i will add about 54-56 lbs on the front, i do not need the winch so it is not on my project.
The AEV rear bumper is 56 without tire carrier, the stock should be 15 lb so i add about 40 lbs.

It is not so much wheight in total, i think i will go only with bumpers until warranty expire, then i will lift 2,5" and 33" .

Ufff i need the car, have to wait until December it will be hard....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.