AEV 3.5" Premium Review - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > AEV 3.5" Premium Review

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
s1edneck700
2008 JK Wrangler 

AEV 3.5" Premium Review

Just got to put some driving time on my new AEV lift that I installed last night. First impression was WOW....my jeep is HUGE! Moving on to more relevant matters, the install was pretty easy. Instructions were thorough enough to get vital points across and I did not have any difficulty aside from the random rusted bolt or 2.

Fit and finish of the lift is great. Everything looks like it is top notch and built to last. Did not have any problems with tolerances or clearance of parts. No clunking or squeaking of any kind. Only problem is that at full droop, the rear coils come unseated. I had to reseat the right rear because the top isolator was off center when I dropped the jacks.

Have not gotten a chance to take it off road yet, but here are my on road thoughts. First and foremost, the gearing. I was sooo convinced that 3.73 was inadequate even for a stock wrangler, but, knowing that these vehicles are no speed machine, I decided to give it a shot. I truly believe the daily driver and occasional moderate wheeler does NOT need a gear job. I was pulling 2300 rpm in O/D doing 65 with the 35" mt/r kevlars (and yes I reprogrammed with the procal). MPG was 17.1. Around town there is more than enough power to scoot in and out of lanes. Just hit the O/D off button everytime you get in and you will be fine, and preserve your lifetime powertrain warranty!! Moving on from the gearing, the handling is stupendous. I need to dial in a bit more caster with my Currie front upper control arms (aiming for 6.25 degrees), but even at 5 degrees it was good enough to live with. BTW I used my Ipod level app to set the caster, what a cool little tool!

Appearance. I was sceptical at first about the weight assumption that is built into the AEV lift. Oh well, decided to go for it anyway. I don't think it could sit any more perfect. I will have pictures soon! But I am very happy with the way it accommidates 35's. Going to put the front air dam back on to help conceal some of the linkage and give it a cleaner, more factory look.

All in all I could not be happier with the setup. I am very excited about not having to regear and retaining my warranty. The product looks great and performs well. I know DocJake is waiting to hear a solution for mounting a spare pintler on the tailgate. I will be working on it, had no time to sleep last night cuz I wanted this done so bad.

s1edneck700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

good to hear you like it. now post up some pics

you might need some limiting straps if the coil is coming unseated at full droop. I wouldn't want to worry about that while on the trail.

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
ncb

Congrats on the lift. I have read about the issue with the rear springs. Take a look at these spring retainers.

JKS REAR COIL SPRING RETAINERS JEEP WRANGLER JK 1600:eBay Motors (item 380165117501 end time Dec-03-09 19:49:02 PST)
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Jodyblip

Good to hear!! my 3.5 premium is backordered from quadratech and supposed to be drop shipped from AEV soon i hope!!
Jodyblip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
crazymax

I just installed my AEV Premium Lift along with a full set of Teraflex control arms last week. Install was very straightforward. This replaced a 2.5" Teraflex coil and shock lift. Haven't been offroad, but it handles much better on the road. Especially when hitting a bumb on a corner at higher speeds (like an offramp from the freeway). I haven't had an aligment done yet, but with the Teraflex Control arm recommendations, steering is perfectly centered and is doesn't pull to either side when driving or braking.

My only bugger with the install, was putting the in the bolts for the front bump stops. It took quite a bit of patience.
crazymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

You guys with the AEV 3.5" Premium Lifts suck! I hate you!

I'm jealous as hell!
BigMikeATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
s1edneck700
2008 JK Wrangler 

Update:

Dialed in more caster. I am at 5.8 degrees now. Tracking is much better and bump steer has decreased. Will give it one more turn tonight to get me into the 6 degree range, which should make everything just right. Going to throw the front air dam back on tonight to clean up the look a little bit and protect the drag link turnbuckle from roadspray in the winter, which seized my last one (I replaced the turnbuckle and tie rod end with the aev lift). Pics coming as soon as I get the camera from my buddy.
Unread 11-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1edneck700 View Post
Update:

Tracking is much better and bump steer has decreased. .

There is no bump steer with the AEV kit. This term is thrown out too much and misunderstood.

The steering wheel moving when the Jeep hits a bump is normal. "Bump steer" is an actual change of direction induced by bumps due to improper steering geometry. You WANT to feel the road and bumps in the steering, you DON'T WANT it to change your direction of travle(or have to fight the wheel to keep the Jeep straight)
Unread 11-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
s1edneck700
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
There is no bump steer with the AEV kit. This term is thrown out too much and misunderstood.

The steering wheel moving when the Jeep hits a bump is normal. "Bump steer" is an actual change of direction induced by bumps due to improper steering geometry. You WANT to feel the road and bumps in the steering, you DON'T WANT it to change your direction of travle(or have to fight the wheel to keep the Jeep straight)
Hmmm, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I will have to drive it with that in mind to differentiate between feeling the road and changing the intended course of the vehicle. The only time I really get a jolt that is worth noticing is if I hit a big manhole cover with one wheel or something else that doesn't involve both front wheels hitting the bump at the same time/intensity. I am having a toe measurement taken right now at my dealership to make sure that is spot on as well for the 35's.

Also, just want to make sure this issue isn't taken out of context. This is NOT a problem, just fine tuning of the setup. This lift rides impeccable and handles/steers better than any other lifted/altered ORV I have been in. Even the install is simple, so the average joe can save some cash. Props to AEV for such a high-value product, and thanks for the input on this thread!

Edit: Alignment measurements came in. Camber is -0.5 degrees on left front, -0.4 degrees right front. Factory spec allows no more than -0.6, so I am good there. Toe is 1/16th" toe-in. I will put one turn into the tie rod tonight, should give me just what I'm looking for. Will post results.

Last edited by s1edneck700; 11-18-2009 at 01:42 PM..
Unread 11-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
Jodyblip

bump steer is when hitting a dip manhole railroad tracks whatever causes your jeeps front wheels to actually turn when your springs compress even though your steering wheel is straight. it will feel no different than NOT having bump steer you still should feel the bump so to speak
Jodyblip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Think of it this way. Hit a bump with your hands off the steering wheel. The wheel will move with the bump but the Jeep should continue mostly straight. (give that the bump does not slow one wheel enough to make a minor change in direction). BUMP steer will actually CHANGE the dircetion fo the Jeep and you will have to correct for it.
Unread 11-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
chickenhawk7
2007 JK Wrangler 

BigMike, I know what you mean. I was hatin' too, then I got my own. I think you will really like the lift when you decide to pull the trigger.
chickenhawk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
scbroder
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodyblip View Post
bump steer is when hitting a dip manhole railroad tracks whatever causes your jeeps front wheels to actually turn when your springs compress even though your steering wheel is straight. it will feel no different than NOT having bump steer you still should feel the bump so to speak
+1, wheels move, but steering wheel does not.
scbroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
s1edneck700
2008 JK Wrangler 

Gotcha on the bump steer......the guys on the AEV forum gave me the whole schpeel. Makes sense, just more feedback because the scrub radius is bigger with the pintlers vs the stock backspacing.

On a different note, got the spare on. Trimmed the daystar isolators to side and proceeded to take the sawzall to the bumper. Cut a crescent-like hole where the tire was hitting. Fits like a fricken top now! Also put the stock front air dam back on, looks much cleaner in the front and should help keep road spray and crap from getting up in the engine compartment like last winter. Sorry for not posting pics yet, too busy tuning this bastard all night and working during the day.

Last edited by s1edneck700; 11-19-2009 at 06:35 AM..
Unread 11-19-2009, 05:42 AM   #15
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhawk7 View Post
BigMike, I know what you mean. I was hatin' too, then I got my own. I think you will really like the lift when you decide to pull the trigger.
That is one sweet looking rig!
BigMikeATL is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.