AEV 3.5" Premium Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > AEV 3.5" Premium Lift

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
RubiNoob
2010 JK Wrangler 

AEV 3.5" Premium Lift

What is / are the biggest reasons NOT to get this lift?

RubiNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
chickenhawk7
2007 JK Wrangler 

cost?
chickenhawk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
BAMAJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

I haven't heard any reasons not to, other than it retains the stock control arms, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
BLUE JEEP #237
BAMAJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
fishgutz
2010 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhawk7 View Post
cost?
Ditto.

I fit 37's with a 2.5" Rock Krawler lift.
fishgutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
Sweetleader
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgutz View Post
Ditto.

I fit 37's with a 2.5" Rock Krawler lift.
Big tires on a small lift wont let you get very much articulation however.
Sweetleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 01:53 AM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

For what you get, quality and performance, I think the AEV Premium kits are priced just right and are one of the best.
Unread 04-28-2011, 04:59 AM   #7
BLK2000TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If your only concern is fitting tires then there are cheaper lift's out there. If you want your Jeep to handle as good if not better than stock on road be very capable off-road then the AEV suspension is hard to beat.
BLK2000TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

For me, it seems like most of the things that some consider cons, I consider pros.

For example, a typical con listed goes like this. "For the price, all you're getting is a bunch of brackets. Other lifts, for the same price, give you more adjustable parts". To me, the pro in that statement is those brackets have a ton of engineering behind them to move stock parts to the specific angles that give your JK the ride that AEV is renown for. IMO, adjustable parts alone can't do that.

On the same note, another frequently mentioned con is "AEV lifts are non-adjustable". Somewhat true -- you can switch between 3.5" and 4.5" springs, but that's about it. There is nothing about the lift to adjust or "dial-in" after installation. To me, that's a pro. At the end of installing the lift, your axles are centered and your caster is restored. No messing around trying to find the precise lengths for adjustable trackbars/control arms to achieve those characteristics. To others, that's a con. They want to be able to tweak the characteristics of their ride. For me, it rides awesome immediately post lift, and I wouldn't want to tweak anything.

To address issues that are normally corrected by buying front control arms, AEV uses a control arm drop bracket. This bracket ends up slightly changing the angle of your stock lower control arms, and majorly changes the angle of the upper control arms. The pros are that it addresses a lot of drive issues, like flighty steering, reducing the front-end dive that happens if you nail your breaks, bumps feeling less jarring, less drive-shaft vertical travel, etc. Also, the bushings on the stock control arms are supposed to be better than aftermarket control arms, but I don't have any personal experience with that. The con is that it leaves your front control arms sitting a little below the frame level.

The Premium lifts also include the AEV jack base (which lets you use your stock jack in sand/mud, also lifts your stock jack up so it works with bigger tires) and the AEV ProCal (which reprograms your JK for bigger tire/gears/other features). IMO, both are useful tools and their value should be considered into the price. Even if you don't need them, you can easily resell them and pocket the cash.

I really really really like my AEV 3.5 Premium lift. I love how my JK handles on-road (especially how there's less body roll in corners than stock, even though it sits about 5" higher than stock now), and I've had no problems off-road with it. I'm actually not allowed to lead when my Jeep club goes on trail rides because I barely feel the bumps and ruts that really jar them, so I "go too fast". And granted, I'm Mid-Atlantic, so there's not a bunch of huge West Coast/AZ type of rocks out here, but my 4-door JK with the AEV lift has been able to crawl over everything that other JKs with similar height lifts have.
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #9
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

i am not knocking AEV, or disagreeing (really!) just pointing out the counter point.

on moving mounting locations with brackets instead of adjustable arms/bars. if the load and configuration of your jeep is done when you install the AEV lift and it matches their expected weight and configuration then a bracket is as good as adjustable. but if you install the lift, and then later a bunch of mods that change the weight then the brackets may not be putting the arms and trackbars in the best position. adjustable is adjustable and grows with your jeep mods.

but like aristobrat said, for some that is a con and for some that is a pro.
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
smess
2011 JK Wrangler 

I had this lift on my previous two jeeps, I now have the teraflex and while the aev is great the teraflex is better. not sure the cost difference between the two but at the end of the day the teraflex is hard to beat with product and customer service.
hemijeep.jpg  
smess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
chickenhawk7
2007 JK Wrangler 

Smess, I like your AEV beaklocks though. They look real good on your silver JK.
chickenhawk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #12
RubiNoob
2010 JK Wrangler 

I really like your reasoning here. If I decide to install this lift myself, it will be my first lift install, and I'm afraid I'm just not knowledgeable enough to be able to dial in things to make them just perfect. Alternatively, If I were to have it installed by someone, I don't trust THEM to be able to dial things in perfectly either (there is no 'offroad jeep installer' around me).

I'm curious, I already have a Superchips flashpaq, I believe this can set the tire size, is there any reason for me to keep the ProCal then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
For me, it seems like most of the things that some consider cons, I consider pros.

For example, a typical con listed goes like this. "For the price, all you're getting is a bunch of brackets. Other lifts, for the same price, give you more adjustable parts". To me, the pro in that statement is those brackets have a ton of engineering behind them to move stock parts to the specific angles that give your JK the ride that AEV is renown for. IMO, adjustable parts alone can't do that.

On the same note, another frequently mentioned con is "AEV lifts are non-adjustable". Somewhat true -- you can switch between 3.5" and 4.5" springs, but that's about it. There is nothing about the lift to adjust or "dial-in" after installation. To me, that's a pro. At the end of installing the lift, your axles are centered and your caster is restored. No messing around trying to find the precise lengths for adjustable trackbars/control arms to achieve those characteristics. To others, that's a con. They want to be able to tweak the characteristics of their ride. For me, it rides awesome immediately post lift, and I wouldn't want to tweak anything.

To address issues that are normally corrected by buying front control arms, AEV uses a control arm drop bracket. This bracket ends up slightly changing the angle of your stock lower control arms, and majorly changes the angle of the upper control arms. The pros are that it addresses a lot of drive issues, like flighty steering, reducing the front-end dive that happens if you nail your breaks, bumps feeling less jarring, less drive-shaft vertical travel, etc. Also, the bushings on the stock control arms are supposed to be better than aftermarket control arms, but I don't have any personal experience with that. The con is that it leaves your front control arms sitting a little below the frame level.

The Premium lifts also include the AEV jack base (which lets you use your stock jack in sand/mud, also lifts your stock jack up so it works with bigger tires) and the AEV ProCal (which reprograms your JK for bigger tire/gears/other features). IMO, both are useful tools and their value should be considered into the price. Even if you don't need them, you can easily resell them and pocket the cash.

I really really really like my AEV 3.5 Premium lift. I love how my JK handles on-road (especially how there's less body roll in corners than stock, even though it sits about 5" higher than stock now), and I've had no problems off-road with it. I'm actually not allowed to lead when my Jeep club goes on trail rides because I barely feel the bumps and ruts that really jar them, so I "go too fast". And granted, I'm Mid-Atlantic, so there's not a bunch of huge West Coast/AZ type of rocks out here, but my 4-door JK with the AEV lift has been able to crawl over everything that other JKs with similar height lifts have.
RubiNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #13
Blu-Jacket
2009 JK Wrangler 

The ProCal has other functions, one being the abilitiy to check the centering of the steering wheel post lift. Does the flashpaq have this capability?
Blu-Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #14
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just installed the kit you are considering. Download the instructions from AEV and read them carefully.

They "recommend" after-market wheels and they "recommend" a smaller front drive shaft. Note "recommend", not "require". It's a subtle play on words with huge $$$ impact.

If you don't get after-market wheels with 4.5" Backspacing, then the OEM wheels need a 1.5" spacer or there's a big chance that the brake lines will rub the tires. Not good if you value operational brakes.

The OEM drive-shaft will interfere with the OEM tranny skidplate at high articulation angles, especially when the driver's side wheel drops. So you either get a new skid plate or a new drive shaft or there's a big chance that you'll damage the front drive shaft at some point.

So, the kit costs about $1700, wheels about $600, drive shaft about $500, might as well get new tires, $1200; so now the kit is up to $4000. Oh, I forgot, new steel brake lines, $300.

Maybe you can figure out a way to get the OEM stuff to work "OK" but be aware of the risks.

BTW: It was my first install as well so I was lucky enough to get help from a friend. It is definitely a two person job and it took us 2 full days. I've put in about 2 more days trying to adjust brake lines and the drive shaft problem. The AEV estimate on time was 6-8 hours, maybe 12 hours for a "novice".

see http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/a...blems-1202968/ for a discussion of the brake stuff. Skidrow has a plate that will clear the drive shaft, BTW... $300 or so.

Other than that, it's great!!!

Last edited by taoshum; 04-28-2011 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: addition
taoshum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

When you lift the JK 3-4 inches no matter what kit you use sooner or latter you will have to replace the front drive shaft. After market wheels or spacers are required on any JK with 35 plus tires with just about any type of lift. When you have as much flex that the AEV kit gives you then yes the drive shaft will make some kind of contact with the tranny pan in extreme situations. I believe that is also true with other kits where the flex is the same. The drive shaft will hit the OE skid if you donít remove it or get an after market skid, which is a good idea anyway. Same is true of other kits with similar capabilities. After market brake lines are not required.

The only hard part is bending the front steel brake lines. If I were to do it over again I would get extended lines for the front instead of bending the OEs.

So, what Iím trying to say is that doing it right is no different than any other kit out there.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.